Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Daly in the spotlight  (Read 5384 times)

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Daly in the spotlight
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
Daly also seemed to decide too early that there was going to be a try that he could or stop. In, I think, the first try, he could have kept on over the try-line to stop the wing making the on version easier.
He is not the only international FB to be fooled by Gareth Davies. Happened at Twickenham in the last RWC Wales v England. Was it Brown then.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:20 PM »
It's quite right that the spotlight is on Daly as a full back. Defensively he never seems to make a tackle and apart from one or two moments has done little in attack. It's not really his fault. He's being played out of position. His problem is that he's probably now not good enough at 13 or wing to get picked ahead of the current incumbents. That goes for England and Sarries.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 11:25:23 PM »
If I remember right, before the Oz try where Daly bottles the tackle, there was a kick through that bounced around a bit and Daly failed to gather it, knocking it on and giving possession to Oz. It was a tricky one with the ball bouncing. Not the end of the world for the fullback to fumble it.

But it made me think back to the years of watching Lewsey play. If Josh had made a mistake like that then the next player that came near him was going to get tackled into next week. To see Daly just wave him past... Ugh.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
If I remember right, before the Oz try where Daly bottles the tackle, there was a kick through that bounced around a bit and Daly failed to gather it, knocking it on and giving possession to Oz. It was a tricky one with the ball bouncing. Not the end of the world for the fullback to fumble it.

But it made me think back to the years of watching Lewsey play. If Josh had made a mistake like that then the next player that came near him was going to get tackled into next week. To see Daly just wave him past... Ugh.

I re-watched the game yesterday and I might be thinking of the same Daly fumble. The ball rockets towards the Oz line who then spin it wide. Daly doesn't sprint back to try and cover for his mistake, he simply ambles back hoping someone else is going to cover for him.

When I made a mistake in a game it would play on my mind and I'd do my hardest to try and win the ball back at any cost or corner flag or make a decisive tackle... you don't want your team mates looking at you thinking you're a burden.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 02:52:23 PM »
The ball rockets towards the Oz line who then spin it wide. Daly doesn't sprint back to try and cover for his mistake, he simply ambles back hoping someone else is going to cover for him.

I would imagine that Eddie and the defence coach might have had a few words with him!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »

It's actually a really good article, and interesting that the writer feels that it was public pressure that forced Eddie to play Daly at 15.

In hindsight, I like Eddie's conviction. Once he's made his mind up then it takes a lot for it to be changed.
I know some will disagree, but that's a good virtue in a head coach / manager, otherwise the team would change every time a different player scores a difficult try for their club

I agree with the masses that Daly's defence is suspect, or more to the point, his positioning is often debatable meaning he's left with difficult tackles that are often lost hopes.
Regardless of the cause, it's an important skill for a full back.

What I hadn't fully appreciated is what he adds in attack.
I'm used to seeing his step / arc / acceleration used at 13, or his straight line pace at 11.
When I don't see those from full back I don't notice his contributions.
Obviously you see him pop up occasionally and put a pass out to the winger, but maybe there is more that I've been missing.

For years we talked about how players like Cipriani and Wade generated more point during opportunities than they cost, and we lambasted various changes for ignoring that.
Jones feels that's the case with Daly so I feel like I should back that decision too

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
Personally - its more about being right than having conviction and sticking to your guns

Eddie was clearly wrong in 2018 when he was picking a SR at 6 and Robshaw and even the Hask in a backrow unable to cope with the changes in how the breakdown was being reffed and played - losing three 6Ns games in a row as a consequence.

At the time, I didn't back playing a SR at 6, as I thought it incorrect, and I'll call out playing Daly at 15 as probably "bold" as well. He'd obviously shown his form for the Lions at wing, but in terms of positioning requirements and the complexity of the game, that (and 13) is less challenging than 15 where not only do you have to be in the right position up and down the pitch, but across too. I personally think it takes a lot of experience to suss

But there again, I'm just typing from my sofa, I'm not an international coach - but I still think it bold

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
I think Elliott is one of the best ball distributors in the team and that skill would be wasted on the wing. His passing is often sublime and well timed even under pressure. England are trying to use him for that after turnovers.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 09:22:22 PM »
Definitely shown that with the counter attack he gets a lot of attacking ball if the clearance is slightly too long or leaves him in space. Also means his big left boot is always an option. 

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 07:54:39 AM »
He is most effective when he joins the attacking line in the inside or outside centre position (who'd have a thought!).

As far as I'm aware his big left boot has been used from the kicking tee yet has it?