Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread - spoilers  (Read 11630 times)

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Match thread - spoilers
« on: October 26, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
Wasn't expecting much from this game but still frustrating none the less. That said the line-out has bee functioning well as well as the scrum (after the first infringement). I don't think we have been playing badly but there have just been a couple of moments that have ruined all momentum. Feketoa's shoulder and Dan's kick being the main culprits.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread - spoilers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Pluses: Gaskell and scrum, again though Ogre looked decent. Nice to have a decent reffing performance too.

Momentum? i saw none of this.
The so called bigger players showed absolutely nothing, we were outplayed in every area. 4 tries to none ..gulf in rugby play between the two sides.
Simmo MOM just the icing on the cake really, especially given Dans performance, yet again.
Bath will ragdoll us based on our current abilities on the park.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
From my POV, that game pretty much went as I expected. Ackerman has that team about 2 years down the track from where we are. I thought the lads played well. I didn't see any general weaknesses; just an overall lack of finesse and cohesion.

Ridley had yet another great game in charge.

Week on week, we ARE improving. But the injury attrition rate is not good. Some of our players emptied the tank and then some. Gaskell, Carr and Vailanu. Watson gets better each game too.

COYW. Onwards to face Bath.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 04:56:19 PM »
Actually thought we were edging our way back into that before Fekitoa's yellow. Scrum is going well and Sopoaga was good I thought today. But we're just not clinical enough at the moment and both of our opponents so far have scored tries against us quite easily. Not time to panic yet by any means but it would be nice to get some more points on the board soon.

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
I agree some signs of a platform but then a glaring error and a breakaway try. Considering the losses this might sound silly but think there are signs that teams are not going to break us down as easily the defence inside of the outside backs seems alot more gritty. The defence in the outside backs is awful though but mainly individual errors costing us.
The Fekitoa card was silly but at sametime the 8 was killing the ball after coming in at the side. If refs dont want self policing then they need to do more. On that note though i do like today's ref more than most think hes done a good job overall but the yellow for Fekitoa was blown up a bit out of proportion.

I had a big issue with our kick chase game last year and it cost us dear again today. Glaws done a lot more to put pressure on our kickers and catchers.

On times I think the team are showing signs of frustration but I can see the effort being made and the team seem to be really backing one another up. Hopefully we will see the errors cut down and some return on the effort.

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »
Take off rose tinted spectacles. We, with a couple of exceptions  were poor.

Too many errors, no leadership and were not really at the races.

Not Nots thumped today so that is a fair indicator of where we  are.

What was Robson doing on the pitch for so long?  Not only were we thumped but we might have lost him for some time.

Gaskell take a bow. 👏👏👏
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:20:46 PM by Fats »

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »
We are definitely one of if not the poorest team in the league.

Our penalty count is ridiculous, especially the offside. The same as last week.

We are in for a real fight this season, I don’t know where our next W is coming from.

I’m not impressed with a majority of our signings in the last 2 years. Very average players coached by average coaches.

This has been coming and it is now here. Also Dai’s comments after the game was a joke.

I didn’t think Gloucester got out of 2nd gear. I thought there was a big gap between us, no idea what game Dai was watching.

Newcastle last season look a better team and look what happen to them

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 06:17:45 PM »

We are in for a real fight this season, I don’t know where our next W is coming from.

I’m not impressed with a majority of our signings in the last 2 years. Very average players coached by average coaches.

This has been coming and it is now here. Also Dai’s comments after the game was a joke.

I didn’t think Gloucester got out of 2nd gear. I thought there was a big gap between us, no idea what game Dai was watching.

Totally agree.

Eezamarlowman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »
I switched over channels after 20 mins. It was crap upto that point and sounds like there wasn’t much improvement after that ? I can’t remember ever turning a Wasps game over and I have been following them for 20years. Something is very wrong. I think drastic changes may be required. Dai said post match there wasn’t much between the teams. But they scored 4 tries to our 0 ? At least we pumped the All Blacks this morning, albeit with no Wasps players making it onto the pitch

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
apart from the head coaches, are there any other international coaches that are up for grabs post WC?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »

Totally agree.

Generally in agreement. I did think certain individuals were having a better game and that we'd - probably slightly against the odd and after presumably a bit of the hairdryer at half time - got back into the game, only to give it away with the yellow. We kept in it for a bit - but Glaws only had to step up a little and we looked out of our class

Need some effective thinking before next weekend.....to back up the effort clearly being put in, but senior players need to step up and lead.

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
Our NZ contingent are conspicuous in performing below their reputations and our expectations.

Which planet is Fekitoa on?  What he did to get the card was stupid and naive. He is not very quick, as Glaws exposed for two of their tries. Was he a good acquisition?

Shields, pity he is not in Japan. Not good enough.  No leadership.  When both of the Willis brothers back don’t expect to see him.

Sopoanga, place kicking aside, is not good enough.  Umanga is way better given how young and inexperienced her is.  Happier to live with him than with Lima.

Jury still out on Watson.  Very quick but prone to selfishness and errors.  Bring on our new Italian ASAP please.

With Dan possibly out for some time I have zero idea who in the backs will stand up and take control unless Gops is truly fit and can come back.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »
I agree thinking that minozzi will be our first choice full back but only if he can pick up out moves and game plan (there is one ;)). I think that him and Watson will be rotated a lot and the starting shirt will be given on merit. I actually think we were more composed when Sops was on and we lost out heads when Jacob came on. Not saying that Jacob isn't good enough, just think he needs more game time from the bench before he gets the starting shirt in my eyes.
I want to see a lot more leadership for Shields then we are currently seeing. Don't know if its as simple as Dai telling him to set up, as he should have his own initiative to do so.
Still willing to give Fekitoa a chance to properly slot into the team.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 09:25:22 PM »
Sigh, really thought they were turning it around after half time before the yellow.

Players were switching off again, I shouted "eyes up" from my seat in the crowd last week after a quick tap and players were ambling about. This week more silly penalties and Robson's kick in particular took the other players by surprise, but there was time to form a line behind him, they were not focussed and just ambling about again. I get that they can be stepped, fumble, misjudge or just be beaten. Switching off in a game however, just isn't really on in my view. Surely easy to fix though?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:09:15 PM by Brandnewtorugby »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
Lima was poor, or at least not good- not top 6 good- but when he left we looked little different. The elephant in the room was that their opposite number was excellent- a real threat, composed, and excellent in execution. I would have him back in a heartbeat. Dan looked crocked- a shadow of last year.
The yellow was pointless, and killed our chances of getting back into the game. Silly boy, Jimmy did something equally stupid and became a firm favourite, hopefully we will see something similar- I can't take another expensive import going south.

Our scrum was great, the forwards did make progress at limited times, but the backs looked utterly, utterly clueless. The kick chase was non existent. Singling Lima out would be churlish- the wings seemed willing but 10-12-13 was not working.
The wings were manful.

The more I see of Shields the more I think he won't be troubling the England team.
He seems a fine bench option, does the basics well and has a good work rate, but is not offering anything special.

I think we will improve, although I wonder if this might be Dai's last year if things don't get better than last year. Long way to go, but a W is really needed.