Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps 2019/20 anticipated league position  (Read 5576 times)

SteveTodd

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps 2019/20 anticipated league position
« on: October 26, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to following rugby, apart from of course the world cup, so I mean regional clubs. I have picked on Wasps to follow (entirely because I invested in their corporate bond, and because of that I started paying attention to their matches). I am quite new to rugby, so my understanding is possibly a bit naive at the movement, but hopefully that won't last. But because Wasps seem to have started a bit badly this season (although I realise we are only 2 games into the season, but the London Irish result did surprise me), I wondered if Wasps have more significant players tied up with the world cup at the moment than the other teams teams anticipated to end up in the bottom half of the league? Being a supporter of Sunderland football club, I am well used to disappointment, I'm just trying to manage my expectations.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:37:11 PM by SteveTodd »

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps 2019/20 anticipated league position
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »
I'm a big Wasps fan but we're gonna finish near the bottom this year. Soz but there you go. No reflection of these matches particularly just how I view the season. Very much a consolidation season.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
I hate to admit it but I agree that we are probably looking at the bottom three this season. I really do hope I'm wrong and we can scrape top 6 but after the Prem cup games and the opening 2 matches, I think we will be lucky to get past 30 points this season. But who knows, maybe with Launch back soon and a fit Willis and Gopps we may be able to shine again

SteveTodd

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
What really confused me was that on one website, I read that wasps had the highest 'wage bill' so I thought that they probably (incorrectly) were just going through a bad period, and form would return, due to having the highest paid squad? Do you think relegation is a possibility?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:59:29 PM by SteveTodd »

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »
Any idea when Gopps is back fit? Feels like we haven't seen him in an age.
I know dan today had taken a knock but two games in a row now I've noticed his service has often been poor. I'm a big fan of his so not knocking him but just an observation sometimes Lima and Co are getting the ball on their shoe laces too often and its rattling our attacking game.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 07:23:03 PM »
I'm only guessing but I think that wage bill info is prob historic. We've lost some big earners lately so we won't hold that honour now. Others may be able to confirm that.

Personally, I won't be relieved until the season is over and we haven't been relegated. You've picked the wrong season to start following Wasps.

Jack9909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 07:37:59 PM »
At a guess I would say sarries are paying at least double (maybe 3x) the next highest in terms of wages (all loopholes considered). We will be near the bottom of the league but doesn't take away from the fact they've bought all their titles.

A starting 15 of British and irish lions arent going to be playing for pride week in week out

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:29:24 PM »
I think in Dai's last injury update he said that Gopps was back in training. So hopefully in contention for selection either next week or the week after. If Willis just needed stitches I reckon he will be back in a fortnight.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 09:42:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to following rugby, apart from of course the world cup, so I mean regional clubs. I have picked on Wasps to follow (entirely because I invested in their corporate bond, and because of that I started paying attention to their matches). I am quite new to rugby, so my understanding is possibly a bit naive at the movement, but hopefully that won't last. But because Wasps seem to have started a bit badly this season (although I realise we are only 2 games into the season, but the London Irish result did surprise me), I wondered if Wasps have more significant players tied up with the world cup at the moment than the other teams teams anticipated to end up in the bottom half of the league? Being a supporter of Sunderland football club, I am well used to disappointment, I'm just trying to manage my expectations.

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome - currently with Wasps is the hope that kills! We've had quite a bit of turnover in players - worth looking back at say the May 2017 Final, we had the Prem's highest points scorer playing (currently injured - Jimmy Gopperth) and Wade, the highest try scorer and were within 2 mins of winning - but we've lost 14 of that 23 to transfer and retirement and injury retirement etc

Whilst I know we need time to pull new players together - its just been rather "limp" so far and I think many supporters would like to see some indication that there is a plan....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 09:56:33 PM »
the London Irish result did surprise me

Actually it didn't surprise me. I was almost expecting it. As soon as the fixture list was announced, I was dreading the first game of the season. In fact Oirish did something very similar in 2017/18 when they returned to the Prem from the Championship. They beat Quins in the opening game of the season and then didn't win again until 14 games later. Then they got relegated.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 11:01:49 PM »
It's still early doors. We still have to gel, although you could argue that the squad have already had 18 weeks to do that, although many of the new players have arrived after preseason started.

I would like to think that we could make top 6, but we need to get a W under our belts. PDQ. Had chances last week and were within 4 points at one stage today. As happened last season, losing becomes a habit.

Next week hopefully Jack, Jimmy and our new FB will be in contention. If Billy is fit then I would play him at 10 and Jimmy at 12. Getting Joe back in the engine room will be a big bonus, but that is unlikely to happen until Nov 9 at the earliest.

We are seriously short of a genuine 12 and would argue that we need more go forward physicality from the pack.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 11:38:59 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse!
I am constantly puzzled by Wasps fans who are not aware of the weekly club releases especially on DW but occasionally here. Jimmy is a week away.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 12:20:22 AM »
World looks better with a W- if we have not got one by the end of Nov- panic.
If we pick up one we might get two and start to click.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 06:17:29 AM »
Welcome SteveTodd

The worrying aspect to the start of the season is we're only expecting 2 players to return from the WC, one of which is an unknown quantity in the premiership.

I think (injuries aside) we have a squad of forwards that should be able to compete with most other clubs but as I mentioned in an other thread, if we don't have Willis or YY on the pitch (and to some extent Launchers) we aren't able to compete at the breakdown which allows opposition teams to have a constant stream of quick ball phase after phase.

I don't know where to start with the backs (at this point in the season I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus) but if people think that Gopps is going to be the returning Messiah and save us then I think we're in for another very long season.

One player isn't going to turn us into the rugby equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. Gopps has been brilliant for us previously but he's no spring chicken and due to one injury after another has played little or no rugby for the last 18 months.

I'm still scratching my head as to why or how Dai didn't source another 12 for this season.

Lets just hope that we get some hard fought wins and a bit of confidence and belief filters through the squad.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »
In terms of league position we are about a season or two behind teams like Gloucester, Northampton, Harlequins. They have had squad changes and management changes.

Sale have done what we did a couple of seasons ago and bought a hell of a squad (mainly via South Africa...).

These 4 look to be the top six contenders in addition to Exeter and Saracens this season.

7 to 12 will be us, Bristol, Bath, Leicester, LI and Worcester. Bristol have huge potential but not sure about consistency. Same with LI. Bath and Leicester are a mess in terms of behind the scenes and coaching. LI are newly promoted. Worcester have lost a lot of great players.

We are Inbetween top 6 and bottom 6 due to coaching restructures from previous season and player exits from last season. Over the last season the teams I predicted top 6 all look superior and more consistent going into next season. So far we don't look better than last season so expect more if the same this season.