Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bath Game Thread  (Read 8992 times)

Eezamarlowman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Game Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
Wow. Wasn’t expecting a win today so I’m very happy. It was vital to get a first win ASAP this season in my opinion and we have now done that. Hopefully it will breed confidence for the next few weeks and we are also due a fit Launchers back very soon. Onwards and upwards !

DarkKnight63

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
Teach me to leave the laptop open with a mate round...my apologies to all.... humble pie

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »
Teach me to leave the laptop open with a mate round...my apologies to all.... humble pie

Don’t worry DK. I was in a bad place after 50 mins, but had a glass of wine and a peroni at HT which kicked in nicely. On on

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »
A win's a win and in itself great

So how was it in reality? What can we take from the game overall?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 05:57:17 PM »
A win's a win and in itself great

So how was it in reality? What can we take from the game overall?

Still a long way to go as still plenty of things not quite working or going to hand but as I have mentioned previously today again showed there is a group of players that really want to play for and with each other which is always an important start. Hopefully 9 10 12 13 15 get a few games together to build on the signs of promise today. Shields really vocal through the ref mic driving players onwards and put in a good shift himself along with rest of the back row.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »
Back from the game. It stopped raining about an hour before the game and started again at the final whistle.

Much debate among the players at that final penalty, but some observed if we kick it Bath got nil points. So it got kicked.

Sitting watching the players, I focused a lot on the backs to see how Minozzi and Jimmy fared. Jimmy ran the show, that much was obvious. And he made a big difference, offsetting what can only be called brain farts giving away so many penalties and coughing the all up so often. Seriously, how can so many players not know how to hold or catch a ball?

Kibirige, Odogwu and Minozzi all struggled with the high ball.

Overall? Better than any of the games so far this year by quite a margin, but a lot of improvement needed.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
enjoyed that, flashes of the old wasps, hope they move on from here, hope it was not that Bath were so bad, the new full back looks like the real thing.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »
Grumble Grumble Grumble! Why didn’t we get a bonus point. >:(

Seriously, sounds like we are developing well. So let’s be positive.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 07:19:24 PM »
Maybe we could have gone for the corner with that final penalty to try for the BP, what could possibly have gone wrong?  :)

Big improvement on last week, apart from ZuZu attempting a kick. Still some careless errors, and too many off-sides, but looked much more like a team. It would not be a proper afternoon at the Ricoh without the final five minutes of stress.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »
Veanu and Gaskell were excellent. Brad was everywhere, actually all the forwards fronted up but these 2 were particularly good. Mention for Rowlands too.
Gops made a huge difference and given he's been out for so long, was class. Paolo did ok, thats all, thought Kilbrige made ground everytime he had the ball, create him some space i think he'll do some damage. Minozzi showed enough to say he'll have something throughout the season.
One thing I really liked was JTA. When he came on he was a ball of energy, very vocal and created a voice that I think the team could buy into..he seems a character and put himself about in the 25 mins he had...he's grown on me, I think he'll bring something other than just a prop.

The performance was def something to hopefully build on. For bath, I thought Priestland had his best game in a Bath shirt, some of his kicks to touch were a bit special..

And a word for the L plate ref..I thought he was very good, non yellow aside. Time to retire of some muppets...Doyle
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:06:55 PM by Hymenoptera »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »
Ah, the reassuring glow of a W. That felt a lot better. Crisper, more fluent. Working back through the team I thought the front row were great (apart from ZZ's totally bizarre kick. Thought Rowland had a great game as did Gaskell and when TF came on he was solid. Back row - BS outstanding, SV not far behind and NC effective. Robson delivered quicker ball than last week. For me LS was great and let's not forget his place kicking. JG - excellent. Was the leader out there and made such a difference as first receiver. Fekitoa carried strongly and I think will be an asset. The back three line last looked lively going forward but I don't think we'll get away with playing that trio very often under the high ball. Minozzi looked dangerous. Overall much better. JG made a huge difference, our 8 looks like a real find and everything feels better with a W.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »
After a crappy summer with Mrs Notso getting diagnosed with breast cancer and Notso senior having kidney failure it was a pleasure to enjoy a Wasps performance more than worthy of the win. When they start catching some of these passes and following Vailanu through contact they will be very dangerous!

Well done to the players, glad to see them get a result for their efforts. Hope the injuries are not too serious.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2019, 10:22:10 PM »
After a crappy summer with Mrs Notso getting diagnosed with breast cancer and Notso senior having kidney failure it was a pleasure to enjoy a Wasps performance more than worthy of the win. When they start catching some of these passes and following Vailanu through contact they will be very dangerous!

Well done to the players, glad to see them get a result for their efforts. Hope the injuries are not too serious.

Very similar thoughts as you, BNTR. A more complete performance. Iron out the unforced errors and we will be heading up the table. My thoughts are with you on the health issues - we have been there. Stay strong.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »

Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope the Notsos are all doing ok.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 10:28:05 PM »
I watched the game on RugbyPass. During the second half, one of the commentators said that Dai had a bit of a 'clear out' after the first two games (losses) which was why Bassett, Mathews and De Jongh were not in the 23.  Don't know if he was actually correct, I'm only repeating what I heard.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!