Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bath Game Thread  (Read 9029 times)

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 11:23:03 PM »
I enjoyed that.  Made up for the England game.  Thank you.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »
A long day of rugby yesterday and good to be back at the Ricoh, first game of the season for me.

Gopperth definitely makes a big difference, Rowlands was good, Tommy Taylor also good.

For me we are off ‘head wise’ and hopefully the win will help that.

We need more confidence and I believe we will get better.

I have no idea where we will finish this season, that depends what is going on up top.

Much better and hopefully it will continue

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
Quote from the other half: "We have transformed from a team that only plays for the first 60 minutes to one that only plays for the last 60 mins."

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »
Question - watched the highlights - did Jimmy stand at 10 quite a bit? Just seemed like that on the programme

Difficult to be too prescriptive off a highlights package - but it looked more coherent

Those at the game would be better placed to judge the following:

a) Glass half full - quite a few new players, just needed the guidance of Jimmy as "coach on the field" to being the best out the team and they'd hopefully push on now - with a little confidence restored

b) Glass half empty - needing the "ancient" Jimmy to pull a performance together from a bunch of seasoned internationals, super rugby players and Prem vets suggests everything is not quite lining up and its best not to take too much from one win

Personally, I'd still be concerned if it really did need Jimmy to make that much difference.

Thoughts?

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
I'd go a)-ish
Lots of new players, the more stability they have the faster they will bed in and Jimmy helps to bring a lot of that. If him being out of action in 3 months time means all falls apart then I am well wrong.

We still seem short of someone to stand in for Jimmy though.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 02:30:33 PM »
A mix of a and b. Gopperth did well but it wasn't all about him. Sopoaga played a lot flatter (could argue due to JG). Vailanu punched holes and Shields was outstanding. Carr, Gaskell and Flament made heaps of tackles and Rowlands added ballast. Our back three ran and stepped well. Without a doubt Jimmy's presence helped but we were better overall. Our front row went well as well. He was great verbally as well. In answer to the 10 thing he was often first receiver but Sopoaga was also playing in traffic more which really helped us going forward.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
Thanks. I'm torn - partly from not having seen this game - but having watched each minute of the previous 2. My concern was that experienced players were just not leading or playing as a team. Nor was there any apparent plan.

Jimmy's back and its like there was a plan of sorts and some control is back - not perfect. Its a problem for me, if Jimmy is the difference - rather than just a few teething probs that needed a little direction to work, such that Jimmy isn't vital.

I too would be concerned if Jimmy got damaged.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »
Thanks Shugs - I though Sops was playing flatter - its a question as of why I suppose.

As I said above - I'd be concerned if it really needed Jimmy to be the catalyst - it ought not to be an issue (playing as a team, leadership) for experienced quality individuals

I'm hoping (its always the hope...) that we can push on a little and gain the sort of confidence that allowed play like for Dan's try. I know team sports are always a bit weird - but I'm just fingers crossed on Jimmy staying fit!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2019, 02:43:43 PM »
Thanks VV and Heathen.

To my eye, I think a second real playmaker and organiser made a difference and it was hard know who Robson would pick. Making more of all the options, Vailanu, Minozzi and Odogwu who in particular looked to rattle the Bath defence. Enjoyed Cruse's try, took some nerve, looked close to an intercepted pass, perhaps a sign of confidence returning. Good to see Rowlands back as well, he is big and busy.

Robson is improving every game. In mitigation to Bath, they were on a third choice scrum half, welcome to the club! Well maybe they can join when they field a 5th choice!

Odd choice by bath to kick for penalty at the end and then try and run from their 22 on the restart. All out for the win I suppose, but ended costing them a point.

DarkKnight63

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2019, 08:14:52 PM »
Cheers Nopace!  much obliged

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:22 PM »
Odd choice by bath to kick for penalty at the end and then try and run from their 22 on the restart. All out for the win I suppose, but ended costing them a point.

My thought was they were trying to guarantee the losing bonus, with the hope of getting another score.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 09:33:01 PM »
I can be quite annoying when I am sat next to you at the match. I kept saying to my dad next to me, 'They can't kick it other than to touch - they have to play it or end the game.'

When the penalty was awarded, I actually shouted at those around me, including my dad, who got up to go, 'If we kick this it denies them the point.' A lot sat back down to watch. Then I could hear (on the RefLink) some of the Wasps players debating the same thing. 'Shall we risk missing and them catching it and running it down the field, to deny them the point?' It took a few seconds, then they all agreed it was worth it. I was relaying what I could hear of the debate to those around me who had by now sat back down. I can tell you there was a LOT of merriment when that kick went over.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
Nine o clock Monday.

Time to go on to the PRL site and see the full match replay.

Yes they're there - no wait there's only five round 3 matches - guess which one isn't there?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
Here are the highlights for anyone not seen them.. perhaps the full game will appear later today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRDqPYOZMV4

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »
You can watch the extended (17 minutes long) highlights here:

http://sport.bt.com/extended-highlights-wasps-30-22-bath-91364407854470