Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team's up  (Read 7691 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team's up
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
Launch not playing is Wasps's choice.  Dai apparently allowed him a week off with the family post WC.  I was hoping we'd see him on the bench.

Given that Baxter has pulled few punches in the wake of the Sarries shenanigans this week, he may be making a point, that due to the relative lack of depth in their squad from operating within the cap, some of us can ill afford the luxury of resting players.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
I except resting and I thought you had to give certain players 2 weeks but as Henry Slade played in the final and launchbury didn't really play much,can we afford to lose another match considering how tough this game will be. Launchbury will not be tired.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2019, 02:58:38 PM »
Slade was only a sub for the last two.

Exeter tend to play lowest denominator rugby anyway, so it's not like they'll need to spend time adapting.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »
I except resting and I thought you had to give certain players 2 weeks but as Henry Slade played in the final and launchbury didn't really play much,can we afford to lose another match considering how tough this game will be. Launchbury will not be tired.

Keep in mind Westy that although Launch didn’t have much game time in Japan, he would have gone through all the training sessions and all the intense conditioning. Meaning he’s not had an off season. So think it could be wise to give him a break to recharge both his batteries and mind.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »
Think England have an agreement of a certain number of weeks break (maybe 2 for the players who played and 1 for those who got less game time) that must be taken within the first 6 weeks they return.

Remember a few seasons ago Dai asked for Launch to play a few games for Wasps while we were short on 2nd rows with the premise that he would rest him once some players got fit.

It may be that Baxter feels he can do without Slade in Europe or there are easier games ahead in the prem than this weekend where as Dai would rather have Launch back for Europe especially as we seem to have a couple of SRs in decent form and fitness currently.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »
Also let us not forget Launch has a family and has not seen them for months (I think one England Rugby "WAG" said she had not seen her other half since June with only odd weekends). He also has spent zero time with our team and needs fitting in time in training (where undoubtably he will rip it up). We will give him a good welcome in Bordeaux next week!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »
Also let us not forget Launch has a family and has not seen them for months (I think one England Rugby "WAG" said she had not seen her other half since June with only odd weekends). He also has spent zero time with our team and needs fitting in time in training (where undoubtably he will rip it up). We will give him a good welcome in Bordeaux next week!

Spot on Neils. He will be champing at the bit next week.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »
I can't see spending an afternoon on the pitch will impact 'family time'. If he was fit and willing i'd have liked to have seen him in the game.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
I can't see spending an afternoon on the pitch will impact 'family time'. If he was fit and willing i'd have liked to have seen him in the game.

Probably not. But as he's unfortunately not turning out for isle of Wight rugby clubs firsts, I'm guessing he'd probably have been expected to be at training etc during the week, and traveling with the team to the match and back. So I'm guessing it would have been a bit more than just an afternoon or indeed evening, away.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2019, 07:16:26 PM »
I think it's the right call, and playing Slade etc is the wrong call. Apart from being away from home, they have been on a massive high, then a huge low, then home and jet lagged. I bet they are mentally exhausted. I don't begrudge him a week or so off, it may pay dividends later.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
Is there a PRL ceiling as to what a club can pay academy players? Is there a time limit on how long a player can be in an academy at the same club?

You can be in the academy up to age 24 but the moment you are paid £30k a year you are no longer academy