Always a Wasp

Author Topic: SISU Selling Up?  (Read 2165 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
SISU Selling Up?
« on: November 05, 2019, 06:57:34 AM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-takeover-interest-al-hasawi-17199709

Former Nottingham Forest owner Fawaz Al Hasawi is looking to get back involved in English football and Coventry City are reportedly on his radar.

The ex-Forest owner with a penchant for swinging the managerial axe – getting through eight managers in four years – was linked with an interest in purchasing troubled League One outfit Bolton Wanderers during the summer when the Trotters were close to going out of business.

All supposition, and worryingly could be a case of frying pan to fire for Coventry City if it takes place.
It was fine when I left it.....

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: SISU Selling Up?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »
Fawaz initially looked a decent owner putting in a lot of money into Forest and challenging at the right end of the championship but his eagerness to get involved with the media side and his rumoured interference with team selection alongside his impatience with managers (8 in just 4 years) meant Forest fans weren’t too disappointed when he left.

After a few years away from English football, he might have learnt what is good and bad in terms of English football ownership and it could be a good takeover for Cov.

Surely anything is better than Sisu

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
As a Notts County fan, we were delighted when he took over as it began to look like we may even end up in the same division (that worked out well didn't it!).  Personally I'm not sure these people do learn and I would be a little concerned if I were a Cov fan....that said, he would be a step up from who they have now. 

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »
Think Hardy and Fawaz had very similar timelines as Nottingham owners- lots of initial promise and excitement but mismanagement resulting in eventual decline.

Unfortunately Hardy had a steeper downfall but looks like you are settled and hopefully back up this season.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:03:20 AM »
Hardy is a swear word at Meadow Lane! 

I think the penny began to drop for a number of us when he was banned from driving for doing 70 in a 30 limit and his defence was ' I am a busy man, so speed limits shouldn't apply to me'.  He already had >12 points on his license (I should check the exact number up, but I recall figures of over 20 being mentioned) and promptly sacked several employees as a response to the business the 'judge had cost him'. A thoroughly despicable man.

The guys there now are like chalk and cheese - you rarely hear from them, they have a system going to help the manager with signings (but crucially don't chose the players) and things are looking a lot more rosey.  Hopefully we will be back in the league next year and take back the tag of Oldest football League Club from...Forest (that stings too).

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
SISU are apparently owed a lot of money so if someone were to buy CCFC they would have to probably clear that debt.. then they would be buying a football club with no home ground.. they would also be taking on the the possible outcome of the SISU lead EU commision investigation that could potentially alienate you from the City Council and possible landlord of a ground that you'd prefer to play at.

Regardless of what CCFC do on the pitch, they are stuck in a corner, put there by their owners

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
Unless the EU have already whispered back that there is no case and the complaint is closed?

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
Unless the EU have already whispered back that there is no case and the complaint is closed?

We would have seen the start of civil action if that were the case.

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
This won’t necessarily be an appealing prospect for the Sky Blues or any other potential clubs bearing in mind Al-Hasawi’s time at the City Ground was accompanied by a series of winding-up orders, wages and debts repeatedly being paid late, a transfer embargo for breaching financial fair play regulations, a near relegation to League One and all sorts of eccentric decision making.

Sounds like home from home for for the long suffering CCFC fans.....
The older I get the faster I was....