Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What needs to change?  (Read 4826 times)

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What needs to change?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »
It looked like Dan started the game with his head screwed on, but after a few decisions he didn't agree we he seemed to lose control or both himself and the boys. In my eyes a captain shouldn't be waving his arms, but should speak to the ref calmly when game is resetting and ask to look out for whatever is going wrong instead of complaining instead of playing. We got sent back 10 meters because he was complaining in an unnecessary manner

Little Potts

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »
My first post so go easy!

To me there are a couple of things:

I’m not convinced the team believe they can win, which is a much bigger problem than anything else. I also think this extends to the coaching team as well. This puts us at a disadvantage before we run out.

I’m not a fan of ‘throwing the baby out with the bath water’ and would rather see some coaching of squad and staff alike on their mental approach.  The best teams in sport or business believe and have confidence in themselves and each other. They back themselves to win. Don’t think we’re doing that at the moment.

I also think we are a short distance away from clicking on a number of levels - Jimmy’s intercepted pass looked to me that he was expecting someone to be on his shoulder - who obviously wasn’t there. Let’s bear in mind also that he missed almost all last season so Not only are the likes of Minozzi new to him, so is Sopoaga.  He effectively has 2 seasons newcomers to get to know.

I wonder whether Dan has too much to do as both captain and the guy that normally sparks something out of nothing. Still think he can get there but will be more effective when we’ve ironed out some of our silly mistakes.

Lastly, it looks like some of our new guys are trying just a bit too hard to make their mark. Fekitoa and Odogwu have both been carded, for me, because their exuberance bubbled over into bad decisions and the game went away from us on those 2 moments at Gloucester and last night at Sale. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »
Welcome and a very sensible post.

I do not think Dan should be captain. I think with his injury it may be impacting on his play. He needs to get back his form first rather than flap at referees. Thankfully Launch is back and will take that pressure off him.

Agree with you on linking with newcomers bit unfortunately we have very little time for it to click.

Let me tell you something cucumber

Little Potts

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »
Agree with all that too and thanks for the welcome!

Forgot to say I’m loving Vailanu - reminds me of Billy and Nathan combined. Needs a bit of polish but it’s exciting when he’s got the ball and running at the opposition!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 03:38:10 PM »
One thing I did notice was how slow Dobby was around the pitch, frequently not at the base of the breakdown. This meant slow or confusing ball. at one point I saw (I think) 3 breakdowns where he was AWOL, turning up for the last very late and thus any ball was very slow.

He had, again, very heavy strapping on his thigh, which as been there for weeks. I wonder if we are guilty of playing a far from match fit player, as opposed to our remaining scrum half, Wolstenholme?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
Agreed re Robson. I thought the Vellacott signing was a huge coup and had he been fit I think Dan would have been rested as I agree he doesn't look 100 per cent fit.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 07:29:07 PM »
Agreed re Robson. I thought the Vellacott signing was a huge coup and had he been fit I think Dan would have been rested as I agree he doesn't look 100 per cent fit.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It does question the rationale of playing our #2 and #3 9's in the 7s when the #1 is just off the back of some pretty serious medical issues.

Little Potts

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 11:22:15 PM »
How long is Porter out for?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2019, 07:14:54 AM »
Originally we were told this month and have heard nothing since.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 10:56:58 AM »
Can we learn anything from Saints?

Saints in 2014/15 had a great season, finished top, but lost to the EAs in the Prem Final

Then followed a couple of poor seasons such that they appointed an interim coach and let go their long term DoR (Jim M) who'd been there 10 years + and a better record than Wasps over the same period (Heineken Final etc) especially through to end of 2014 season - when Jim signed a 5 year contract. This was broken after 3...

They avoided relegation with the interim team and for 2018/19, the ex 'Canes coach, Chris Boyd was appointed followed by a top 4 finish and a decent season all round.

Now.....the bits in common are obvious.....we had a decent season (2016/17 and Prem Final), we've had one poor season and well on the way to a second.....we have a long term DoR. The difference being we got to the play offs in 2017/18 before looking so poor last year.

This doesn't mean we should do the same as Saints - but it did show that when they looked down the barrel, they did consider all options

This BBC article has an interesting "tone" from Corbs.....about the club at the time

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42324266
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:02:00 AM by mike909 »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It does question the rationale of playing our #2 and #3 9's in the 7s when the #1 is just off the back of some pretty serious medical issues.
Absolutely. I'd have had Vellacott wrapped in cotton wool till the real stuff began.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »
Shugs: I think that comment is made with the benefit of hindsight. We wanted Vellacott to be No.2 behind Robson. Who was to know that he should have avoided any games just in case he got injured. The same applied to Robson when he seemed to set to be in the RWC squad & then he was diagnosed with DVT.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Welshwasp - not hindsight - I thought it at the time. At that time we were less certain about DR's situation and had inexperienced back up. Vellacott was a key cog. I accept injuries can happen in training/at home etc but you can lessen the probability and that's what I'd have done in such a key position.