Always a Wasp

Author Topic: From zero to 240  (Read 2020 times)

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
From zero to 240
« on: November 22, 2019, 03:51:31 PM »
Nice piece in BBC Sports Rugby about two lower-league MIdlands matches:
Pinley 0 Spartans 0 - commenting on how rare that result is, especially when the Spartans missed several penalty kicks, one in front of the posts.
Contrasted with:
Bromsgrove 240 South Leicester 0 - apparently they were short 2 players so Bromsgrove scored 36 tries.
Would the whole of Leicester have done better. I make that comment having been at the Cardiff match where Western Samoa beat Wales - and one of the comments, I think from Max Boyce, was "just as well we weren't playing the whole of Samoa."

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: From zero to 240
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »
I remember going to watch Coventry at Coundon Rd play Rugby (the club) with my dad. I'm not sure what year but it was when Rob Hardwick was propping... mid 90's maybe?

60 mins into the game someone leant a ladder against the scored board to knock another nail in to allow the 3rd digit to be added

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »
Having played many times at Pinley, would have taken 0 - 0 on a number of occasions!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
Bromsgrove 240 South Leicester 0 - apparently they were short 2 players so Bromsgrove scored 36 tries.
I know someone who played for South Leicester in that match.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 08:59:05 AM »
What has happened to South Leicester? Never heard of them until this year but noticed they got relegated to this league so you would normally expect them to be pushing for promotion, not imploding

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 09:16:08 AM »
I think that the Max Boyce comment about playing the whole of Samoa is one of the best rugby quips I have ever heard.  It was made the better coming from a passiionate rugby supporter who has not been slow to poke fun at England but on that occasion showed such a self effacing humility.  Sometimes I wsih there was more humour in the England camp!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 09:35:29 AM »
What has happened to South Leicester? Never heard of them until this year but noticed they got relegated to this league so you would normally expect them to be pushing for promotion, not imploding

Coach left before the season, a number of players went with him, also lost a main sponsor which means they can't pay players anymore and their relegation was from national leagues to regional so some players wanted to move back up to that level.