Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps vs Agen Match Thread (Spoilers)  (Read 10150 times)

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps vs Agen Match Thread (Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »
Jack Willis is stepping up very well this game. He is the most enthusiastic one out there, pumping energy into the team. When Dobby was unable to make the rucks just now he was there controlling the ball, making sure the next phase was executed correctly. Very impressed with him, yet again.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
Bonus point try. Fekitoa.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »
Beautiful line by Fekitoa!

32-7

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »
Jacob Umaga is absolute quality, so flat to the line, put players through gaps, kicks well off the tee and out of hand. Should be in the 23 every week

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
Our penalty count is starting to creep

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 04:48:27 PM »
Minozzi yellow card. He has had a very good game so far

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
32-14

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »
Full Time. 32-14. Crowd attendance ~7500. Jacob Umaga MoM

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 05:06:01 PM »
I'm going to nickname Fekitoa "the Tap'...because he's hot and cold, some good stuff but some poor stuff.
Good performance, not a classic as lets face it, Agen were awful.
Still some individual decision making just isn't there. Dan was average, good distribution but box kicks were generally sub standard. Again Boog had a good game but Umaga was the star, if he can play like that with limited game time then i'm happy for Lima to provide cover from the bench. He'll have some good and bad days but will only get better.
Set piece was good for me, I thought the lineout was solid enough and scrum strong. The wingers again didn't get the ball much which is worrying and when they did had no space to work in.
Overall i'm pleased with the win and performance.
Oh and forgot to mention the ref who I thought was excellent.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
Thanks for the report.

Such a  win could be just what's needed to gain some confidence

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
Bonus point win. To be honest it was obvious very early on that they were there for the taking and that we could easily outpower them. In turn that meant that mentally we struggled to go through the gears. Individual wise the front row was dominant, J Willis his usual outstanding self, Umaga went well and Fekitoa had glimpses of quality including the try. Three shove over tries was good but the line out was still a bit dodgy. Not sure how Agen survive in the French league but you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that at a canter.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 07:28:06 PM »
Back from the game some while ago.

First 15 Team generally good. Scrum strong. Obvious weak points was Robson. Often very slow, kicking was off really badly. Reminded me of the Simpson were lost lat year. In fairness, when Porter came on, he was no better.

Wolstenholme has been far better than either of them.

Many of the scrum played well. Our lineout was a bit better than that of the last few games, but a definite failing.

Less penalties given away, less poor handling.

Brookes was ambling around the field for most of the game - he is not at all what one would call fast.

Our defense was great most of the time, but we missed a few first tackles. Ashley ran his tank dry by 50 minutes, but we did not sub any back row, why?

We had a leader on the field for 60 (ish ) minutes. It wasn't Launchbury (in fairness he went off from a head knock and right knee knock). It wasn't Robson, who took over from Launch. The leadership came from the man of the match, Umaga. You could see him out their directing everything that was good.

When he went off, to be replaced by Sopoaga, our team died. No leadership, at this point the 'captain' was Ashley.

Booj had a great game in attack and defence. He and Umaga work very well together.

Fekitoa was better than last week. He IS getting better settled.

Our wings might as well not have been on the field.

Minozzi was great (despite his yellow card - a team accumulation of penalties card).

When Tibo replaced Launchbury, our pack started performing so much better. He was fantastic. We started going forwards with him on the field.

Umaga deserved that MOTM. I saw no reason to sub him. Sopoaga was a very poor second choice to Umaga. His kicking was all over the place, and his passing was wooden and predictable, allowing their defence to overun us. With Umaga, his kicking was long and sublime, better than anything I have seen from a Wasps player for years. His passing was just like Cips and totally unpredictable for the defence. The results was they dare not come up too far too fast. Flat pass, draw back pass, chip through, over the top, long kick to bounce into touch, he had it all. Better than Cips IMHO.

For the first time this year, a team took to the pitch at the start of the match, but, as usual, with the subs came chaos.

For me we won that match because of Umaga. Why does Dai treat him so badly? Does he want him to leave? I would if I were him.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
I'm going to nickname Fekitoa "the Tap'...because he's hot and cold, some good stuff but some poor stuff.
Good performance, not a classic as lets face it, Agen were awful.
Still some individual decision making just isn't there. Dan was average, good distribution but box kicks were generally sub standard. Again Boog had a good game but Umaga was the star, if he can play like that with limited game time then i'm happy for Lima to provide cover from the bench. He'll have some good and bad days but will only get better.
Set piece was good for me, I thought the lineout was solid enough and scrum strong. The wingers again didn't get the ball much which is worrying and when they did had no space to work in.
Overall i'm pleased with the win and performance.
Oh and forgot to mention the ref who I thought was excellent.

Pretty much sums the game up. Umaga was execellent. He took the ball flat sometimes pinging out some beautiful flat and sometimes he stood deep as 2nd receiver throwing longer wide passes to try and get to the edge  of the rushing defence.

His goal kicking was good and some of his touch finds were unbelievable.. one from inside his own half finding the 5 yd line in the corner.

He fully derserved man of the match.

Booj is developing nicely.. Minozzi is what you expect (hope) from an experienced international 15, brave and fully committed going into contact and under the high ball but is also a proper handful with ball in hand. He's quick and elusive.

Flament is still putting in good performances and has become a genuine 1st receiver carrier.. good in the lineout and excellent at the restarts. Dai must blessing his lucky stars in signing him, a relative unknown, playing university rugby I think.

One worrying aspect is the form of Robson. He looks flat and out of sorts

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
Perhaps Dai has done a good job with developing Umaga!?

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
Flament a very close second to Jacob for MOM , IMHO.
Owlet did not disappoint either