Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps vs Agen Match Thread (Spoilers)  (Read 10153 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps vs Agen Match Thread (Spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2019, 08:13:42 PM »
I think Umaga coming through might be a similar situation to few seasons ago with Willis coming through and overtaking Haskell. Umaga could (should) overtake Sops and therefore we don't need to pay him as much as we are. But then we would need to sign another fly half so we have Umaga, Searle and a third option. Fourth if we assume Gopperth will retire by end of the season.

Also we should preserve some hype over Umaga. If he continues playing this well, hell yes. Just like Willis, we hyped him up after he was consistently excellent. Right now Umaga could be the real deal if he keeps playing that well.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 08:44:17 PM »
Umaga well deserved MOM. Very accurate and decision making was very good. His kicking of all types was excellent. i also saw a few sneaky tackles the like of which few 10's indulge in.

Flament is quietly sensational. He is powerful, accepts responsibility in attack and defence, made several killer tackles, and just gets involved so much.

When you see two newcomers playing like this, you realise how many passengers you have in the team.

I think we will find out more about how good our scrum is next weekend.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »

Our defense was great most of the time, but we missed a few first tackles. Ashley ran his tank dry by 50 minutes, but we did not sub any back row, why?

Umaga deserved that MOTM. I saw no reason to sub him. Sopoaga was a very poor second choice to Umaga. His kicking was all over the place, and his passing was wooden and predictable, allowing their defence to overun us. With Umaga, his kicking was long and sublime, better than anything I have seen from a Wasps player for years. His passing was just like Cips and totally unpredictable for the defence. The results was they dare not come up too far too fast. Flat pass, draw back pass, chip through, over the top, long kick to bounce into touch, he had it all. Better than Cips IMHO.

For me we won that match because of Umaga. Why does Dai treat him so badly? Does he want him to leave? I would if I were him.
A couple of points NWW. We did sub Willis, who earlier took a knock. I don't agree that Ash was done at 50, for me he was still giving at 80 and as you say, captain, so I wouldnt be removing  him.
I also agree that Umaga was very good but to say he was the reason we won is over egging it a bit, we won because we were better than Agen who were awful. He was good but not that good. To say Dai treats him badly is a weird comment. He has sent to the SH and the championship to get experience and has been bringing him into the squad. On todays performance it looks like it is paying off. Lets remember the prem cup against Sarries where he had little effect...good he is, the messiah he isn't, yet.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 09:36:52 PM »
I voted for Johnson as MotM as I thought he consistently carried and tackled hard, and provided a leadership presence. But Umaga was also very good, especially some awesome touch finders from penalties. When Sopoanga came on we certainly were going backwards more, but the whole team dropped off after the 4th try and all the subs, so that is not entirely his fault.

I think we need Boj at 12. He provides the perfect, hard-carrying foil to the rest of our more pacey and elusive backs. We need (at least) one sledgehammer amongst the more delicate weapons, and he provides that. But he also distributes well and has been solid in defence. Fekitoa has a tendency to run sideways, but that does lead to breaks, and he took his try really well, so I think we just have to accept that is part of his game. Agree with elsewhere that he is getting more assured game-on-game.

Back 3 had limited opportunities given the conditions, bu I thought all 3 looked life they could make breaks with ball in hand, and will make opposition rue kicking to them. Minozzi somewhat unlucky with the yellow, it was a penalty, but only a yellow due to the whole team accumulating offences.

The starting front row monstered Agen in the scrum, ran them backwards more than once and a useful source of penalties. With that and our new-found prowess in the maul our pack is becoming our strength! I don't think our line out was as poor as others make out, we lost a couple but so did they, its partly the conditions. Flament helps here, being lighter he gets up fast, helping win ball and disrupt their's. He has been quite a find, and looked great when he came on. I just hope Launch is OK.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »
Had to miss this match  (family thing I had to attend) - does anyone know if it is/will be online?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2019, 09:44:24 AM »
Had to miss this match  (family thing I had to attend) - does anyone know if it is/will be online?

There was one camera high up in East block, which was being broadcast on the big screen, so you may well see highlights appear.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
The EPCR streaming was excellent. No commentary but reflink clearly audible.

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
Oh that's weird I had no ref link on the stream.  It was lovely watching a game with no commentary though.  As to the ref I don't think he had too bad a match but him and the linesman did miss some howlers, like Joe being pulled from a maul but his neck.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2019, 11:17:49 AM »
Was there a TMO option? Didn't see one referral. I think we've got to be careful with Umaga. He did look good yesterday but Agen were seriously powder puff. I thought the highlight for me was seeing the Willis brothers at 7 and 8 (although how T Willis was allowed to stay on the pitch after what looked like a dislocation I don't know).

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »
I thought the highlight for me was seeing the Willis brothers at 7 and 8 (although how T Willis was allowed to stay on the pitch after what looked like a dislocation I don't know).

They breed them tough at Abbey RFC!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2019, 11:54:17 AM »
Was there a TMO option? Didn't see one referral. I think we've got to be careful with Umaga. He did look good yesterday but Agen were seriously powder puff. I thought the highlight for me was seeing the Willis brothers at 7 and 8 (although how T Willis was allowed to stay on the pitch after what looked like a dislocation I don't know).

No TMO yesterday.  I think there was only one camera.
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
The positives from comments on this thread seem to be:
Umaga, Flament, Owlett, Feikitua, Booj (is it Booj or Boj?), Minozzi.
Only two of them had played for us last season.

PS Are they allowed to have no TMO at this level?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
Last point - yes.
Booj.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »
I also agree that Umaga was very good but to say he was the reason we won is over egging it a bit, we won because we were better than Agen who were awful. He was good but not that good. To say Dai treats him badly is a weird comment.

My comment was not directed at his playing. I watched him quite closely during the game. He was constantly orchestrating the team, and they were mainly doing as he told them. THAT is what made the difference.

Ash gave his heart, and he leads through example, but the team needs more than that. As to treating him badly? How many games did he sit on the bench the whole match? What is the point of that? And yet, that's what he got, more than once. That is simply disrespectful. The game these days is about the 23.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2019, 03:34:59 PM »
NWW- Honest questions- 
In the cold light of day do you still think he is treated badly? I say that because I often feel a player has done well/badly and a day later am more circumspect.
Secondly in your opinion should Lima be behind him in the pecking order as of next week?

I notice that Lima's name provokes huge controversy here- l would wager a good number of those downvotes or whatever they are accumulate when he is discussed and we lose, which tends to happen too much these past 18 months- some people clearly feel that he is getting undue criticism, whilst others dislike the adulation for his predecessor. I feel that discussion about him just ends up with raging disagreements, like a rugby version of Brexit. If Jacob is going to put pressue on his place, we could be in for more debate.