Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens on a Friday night at the Ricoh  (Read 5638 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens on a Friday night at the Ricoh
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 08:56:22 AM »
Friday night will mean me and mine can't make it, but I'm really not that fussed about missing out on the opportunity to see us turned over by a team that are known to be cheating.

Also worth noting that it's a 6N weekend, so they won't be showing all the usual TV slots due to clashes with 6N games.  England v Ireland is 3pm on the Sunday, so BT aren't going to put a Premiership game up against that.  With 2 6N games Saturday afternoon, Friday evening would offer the best potential TV audience.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
Its all very well moaning at TV money bullying clubs & what about the prro supporters etc.
It's TV money that keeps the league afloat, if that dries up the clubs all be broke pretty quickly!

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »
I think those SE based supporters who have have invested in a season ticket have the right to be disappointed. No need for condescending snipes.

Honest question (that will never be answered); what proportion of season tickets, and match attendances are from the London and Wycombe areas? Does that percentage make Wasps unique and give them a case to decline Friday night fixtures?

I assume the answer to the former is 'low', hence why this has happened. Wasps have managed to negotiate out of these before but have not this time for reasons unknown.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
I wasn't going to go to the Sarries game anyway, so of all the fixtures for this to happen, this is the best.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »
It would be interesting to see who plays home games on Friday - I would think Sale are by far away the most (obviously), but I gather this is the first Friday night match at the Ricoh, so I think we have done relatively well out of it.  I guess with Falcons back next season it will be easier again with 2 teams preferring Friday.

It's still annoying for season ticket holders though.  Maybe they should make an agreement with the TV companies that all the clubs will play one match on a Friday evening with the remainder being split between the sides that prefer Fridays, then everyone will know when buying season tickets that there will be one match on a Friday at least.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
then everyone will know when buying season tickets that there will be one match on a Friday at least.

Definitely agree with this. I understand those travelling will not prefer Friday night games but I think the short-notice of it has an effect too. A little foresight allows people travelling to make plans.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »
I think this game is in February isn't it? During the 6 Nations.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2019, 11:36:56 AM »
I went to a Friday game away at Northampton. Worked out well as I was nearby with work (plus it was the first win there in 10 years or something!). I remember a fair few comments about being unhappy about the number of Friday games they were getting. They are definitely devicive, often quite enjoy watching a game on TV after work on a Friday though!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »
I think this game is in February isn't it? During the 6 Nations.

Yep. Nearly 3 months notice i guess.

It's one game in how many seasons?

I'm not snipingat those who are disappointed they won't be able to make it. Rather those that are acting like the club have abandoned them and will never buy a season ticket again. 1 match. In 5? Or more seasons. During the 6 nations and pushed by tv.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »
Just had a quick look through Friday night games this season (up to round 13) and last.

Home teams:
Bristol, Gloucester, Sale 7
Newcastle 5 (in just 1 season)
Bath, Northampton 4
Quins 3
Worcester 2
Wasps, Leicester 1
Irish, Sarries, Exeter 0

Not sure we can have too many complaints. In fairness to PRL/BT, I think they try and keep the Friday night games to those teams who have indicated that they are happy to play on Fridays wherever possible (Sale, Bris, Glaws, Newcastle).  They've got schedules to fill though, made all the more difficult when they are having to fit around the 6N.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »
As the one who originally raised the point, I don't think the Club has abandoned us followers, from "Down South", it's just that PRL has sold its soul to the TV companies and have to do whatever they decide.

Also I won't be abandoning the Club I have followed for over 60 years.

Although well into my 70s, I am still a gymnastics Coach, and Friday evenings are Squad practice nights, so AFAIAC they are not available for Rugby.

However it does make me wonder if a ST is worth it in future, never knowing until after you have to renew how many of the fixtures you will be able to attend.

Here's a radical thought. The next time the TV deal is renewed, let every Club decide their preferred playing day/time, and announce that before the ST renewal date. Then every match that is moved because of the TV company the match can be traded-in for a PIN to watch the match live on TV.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2019, 03:04:04 PM »
Whiff of self entitlement in this thread.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2019, 06:41:27 PM »
I think we've done well to avoid the Friday nighters to be honest. I suppose if it wasn't too much of an admin nightmare the club could give those outside of a certain vicinity some buzz points off next years or future tickets. Not sure who draws the line as to where!

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
One of the possible downsides of the football team playing somewhere else, we no longer have the excuse that we can't play Friday before the football fixtures.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2019, 10:59:30 AM »
One of the possible downsides of the football team playing somewhere else, we no longer have the excuse that we can't play Friday before the football fixtures.

Good point.  Hadn't thought of that.  Mind you, that doesn't seem to bother Bristol.