Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bristol sign world class winger  (Read 3825 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Bristol sign world class winger
« on: November 27, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »
Fiji winger Semi Radradra. That's a hell of a signing. Bristol meaning business

They are building a quality squad

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol sign world class winger
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:50:08 AM »
I'm presuming he will start next season?

The best signing Bristol made was signing Pat Lam

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:19:40 AM »
Yep, from next season. He played against us for UBB two weeks ago.

With Lam as DoR, Briz are well placed to attract the cream of the Islanders. He has created a great culture for them down there. I think, aside of the £££ that is why the Piataus and Nate love it so much.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »
So given the vitriol heaped on Sarries every time they recruit someone (and rightly so!) how can Bristol actually afford these guys under the salary cap?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 12:21:13 PM »
So given the vitriol heaped on Sarries every time they recruit someone (and rightly so!) how can Bristol actually afford these guys under the salary cap?

Because unlike the EAs their owner is a billionnaire and is likely to have other avenues to pay also. How much of the South Sea Islands is he buying up
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 12:52:17 PM »
Not sure Briz are quite in the same bracket as Sarries yet, but they are certainly attracting a lot of big names who will command big £££.  The same accusation could have been leveled at Wasps a couple of seasons back where we had retained homegrown players such as Launchbury, Jones, Daly, Wade and Simpson; signed top players from other Prem clubs such as Taylor, Gaskell and Robson; tempted Cips and Hask back from their travels and also added big global names like Beale, Smith, Piutau and WLR.

The proof will be in the coming seasons when the current, fairly recently assembled squad all come asking for more.  Wasps failed to keep that 2016/17 squad together, and in part that was due to the need to stay within the cap (many other factors at play too, I know).  Briz will face similar challenges.  If they manage to keep the squad together whilst continuing to add big name signings with little in the way of significant exits then questions will begin to be asked.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »
Bristol's squad is a hotch potch of high end talent and cheaper fayre. The EAs simply don't have the same weaknesses in their squad- their home grown talent is international class, and those credits  they harp on about just don't cover them. I think that Bris can sign at the high end as we could when we signed Willie and had a stellar backline. Superficially it looked sus, but when you dig deeper you can see how it works. The galling thing is the EAs have the top end talent and their players coming through have been nicked internationals like Billy and Singleton, whilst preaching to us about welfare....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:04:51 PM by westwaleswasp »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 01:49:34 PM »
Bristol have nowhere near the star names in their first 23, let alone the same depth as Sarries.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
We don't know at this point who is leaving Briz. C Piatau might be leaving or being demoted from marquee status allowing Briz to sign Radradra.

Because of what's transpired with Sarries, supporters will be noting other squads.

Sale also seem to be splashing the cash. I think they fielded 7 Saffas in their last 23.

Does the EQP ratio apply to matchday sqauds in european games?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 02:33:51 PM »
riz have a decent mix of players, I see nothing fishy here. Think Madigan will be freeing up his 500k next season.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
He's a quality player. Apart from anything else it's good to see talent like that attracted to the Premiership. Bristol wouldn't be near the cap at the minute I wouldn't have thought but they do now run the risk of dividing a squad because of cash. It's a fine balance to strike.

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 06:41:38 PM »
Pat Lam says (BBC) they’re no where near the cap, and staying compliant is easy, a veiled attack on the EAs I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50576659

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »
I think this is Madigan's replacement. With Sheedy and that young lad (who's name escapes me temporarily? Ioan?), they have two players currently ahead of Madigan and probably on less than him combined.

Piutau is surrendering his marquee slot, from what I've heard, but is being offered another deal. Puts him in an interesting position as he can't go to another Prem club as marquee, so will need to take a fair cut to fit into the cap in other squads if he wants to stay in England. Or he goes to France (where I can't imagine there'll be a shortage of suitors), or he goes home ahead of trying to crack the 2023 WC squad.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »
That comment sums up Piutau, he must be financially independent with the salaries he has been on and can pretty much take his pick where he wants to play, the world is his oyster!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »
Piatau has been on top $ wages ever since leaving NZ. His brother is still at Bristol so I'm guessing that might influence his (or their) decision. I think his brother played in Japan so that's a possible destination for them both.