Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread - Exeter away  (Read 17332 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread - Exeter away
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »
Not seen the match, how bad was it?

On surface the fact we lost to a weakened Exeter side by that margin is quite outrageous. How can we have been good if we conceded that badly? How come people in this forum don't come across that worried?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
I think you will find this forum has people who are very worried but, unlike elsewhere, not quite hysterical.  I for one cannot see a way out and have to put my faith in those paid to propel Wasps forward to see us out of this. Time for change has certainly gone for this season. I am more worried about the large number of injuries we are attracting on the pitch. Not sure we will have a team to put out.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Agree with this, but would also add that our attack was looking fairly incisive at times in that first half too. Losing the locks meant we had not chance in the scrum, and struggled in the maul.

Against another side, I think we could have done quite well. Especially without injuries.  Are we going to win the prem? Of course not, but that performance had me thinking we can safely avoid relegation, and maybe chase top 6 if our injuries improve.

There were some very good performances there, enough to make me think we have a chance at top 6. Umaga and Carr both played very well. Yes, our replacements lacked the skill and cohesion, but that will come with game time, and it looks likely we are going to be relying on youngsters a lot this season. Which is what we need. One scoop off the floor by Umaga typified his game today. Our man of the match I think.

We couldn't keep that pace up, but, the first half was good.

CurtisJHunter

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
Was at the match so my thoughts below:

Game changed for us when both second rows when off. Chiefs got control of the scrum and maul and we struggled from them.

Frustrating start with kick from Dan going straight out. To me he does not look fit and his passing and sharpness just not like normal Dan. Porter looked much sharper when he came on.

Thought the pack went well, both Willis brilliant and very commited.

First time I have seen Jacob play and he looks a real talent. Organised the back line well, very skilful and good kicking too. Been a big supporter for Lima, but watching him warm up and then when he came on he didn’t look interested.

Hope the team is built around Jacob moving forward. Booj had good game. We should have scored 3 tries in first half though great backs moves which would have changed the game.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2019, 06:42:57 PM »
Also, in fairness to other commentators, we have weaknesses in our squad, setting aside injuries. Wing and centres we simply do not have the skills or depth.

Maybe the youngsters will get better (one can hope), but I am far from convinced.

Robson was improved this week, as was Porter. Our lineout was variable, and got worse. Against a heavy Chiefs pack did quite well, but injuries left us being pushed all over the place. Defence was quite good.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »
We were wondering if Lima has indicated he will return home but remains committed thus Jacob getting game time whilst supported by Lima and Jimmy in training. He said this in his interview (about training). All would kind of make sense.
Let me tell you something cucumber

CurtisJHunter

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2019, 06:51:30 PM »
Spoke to a few wasps fans today and everyone feeling like Lima is on his way

We were wondering if Lima has indicated he will return home but remains committed thus Jacob getting game time whilst supported by Lima and Jimmy in training. He said this in his interview (about training). All would kind of make sense.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
If Lima is on his way, may give us spending for another player, like an experienced lock or winger. Or hell even a good Gopperth alternative/replacement.

Anyone able to describe how we shipped so many points? Was lt like Leinster last year where we just gave up after a while and they kept it going to the end?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »
It's weird how such a score line can leave any positives but first half we should have had a decent lead if we could have been more clinical. This squad is capable of top six and I genuinely think we'll get there. Second row scenario cost us today and we just got bullied once that played out. A special mention for Carr. For me he's just a sensational player who is versatile and comitted. He was great today.

Jac A

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
As usual, some perceptive comments and I think I agree with the overall tone on here. We were very unlikely to get the win and then the injuries and yellow card meant that the score line perhaps flattered Exeter a little (they were the better team though).

Scrum - Was going well. The tussle between Moon and Brookes being key, both very being very cute and I think Kieran had the upper-hand. The change in style from Hepburn and most importantly the loss of the two big locks means that we were always going to be going backwards in the last third.
Line-out - Not great. The 'not straight' was harsh considering the wind and what gets waved on normally but there were a couple of iffy throws and calls. Again, losing Will and Charlie made it tougher. It's defiantly not a strength at the moment and needs work as I think we all know that line outs provide the best chance of a 1st phase try these days.
Breakdown - Competitive again. I though Jack was unlucky a couple of times and we slowed their ball down and didn't let them dominate as the can do but disappointed we didn't turnover more ball but then sometimes that is down to how the game is referred (and here I think it was consistent and fair).
Defence - There are/were some good elements to it and we kept Chiefs pinned back in the first half quite well. We did start to look a little exposed in the second half and the dog legs kept appearing. Also the missed tackle count was too high - 39. A tackle completion rate of 77% is not good enough.
Front Row - Generally good. Brookes again a bit of a non-event round the park (1 carry and 6 tackles) but he offers a lot in the set piece. ZZ his usual self. Tom Cruse was decent in the loose. Replacements didn't offer much but no major errors.
Second Row - Were looking good. Rowlands has improved seems to have improved his discipline which was his only drawback. Injures makes this a problem area now. Lets hope that either Will or Charlie is fit for next week.
Back Row - Generally pretty good. As others have said, Carr is a classy player and he had a good game. Both Willis brothers worked hard, carried a lot and Jack did a lot of good work at the breakdown even if he didn't get the rewards. My worry was Jack coming out of the line as much as he did - 7 missed tackles is a lot for a 6/7.
Half-backs - Robson was ok but still far from the player we know he can be. Jacob had a good game, faded a bit but some lovely touches and really tried to get some good moves going and worked hard in defence too.
Centres - Good effort. Both tackled well and did a good job but Booj is not a natural 13 and showed himself a bit slow on a couple of runs where I think Malakai or JdJ would have made more of a break but no disgrace today.
Back Three - Again, a bit anonymous. Marcus and Zack both missed a few tackles but I can't point to any glaring faults or errors.

The issue for me is that it is all well and good thinking that we have done ok but not managed to get the result but at some point that is what we need to do. We can't go through hoping to stay one point ahead of Tigers, we need to start finding some wins and I'm not sure who they are going to come against in a very competitive league.

I will, however, remain hopeful and keep cheering the team on.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »
I agree jac, we can’t keep saying we are playing ok and we are close, we have to start winning.

I’m not happy with our wingers because I think they will not get enough trys for us. I will be delighted if we get top 6 but to be honest I just don’t want to be relegated.

In the new year I would like some announcement in some 2nd row player a centre and a winger, then I really do think we can get top 6

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2019, 09:28:54 PM »
I’m not going to put out that we are the finished article, but there’s a team in green black and gold performing particularly well this year with a group of young lads who were introduced 2 years ago to premiership rugby and are now the new core.

With some players who are just reaching their peak in terms of age (TT, Launch only 28, Dobby still on the young side of 30) and lots of players still in their early 20s being exposed to the first team (Jack W, Minozzi) and a huge number of academy players being promoted this year and getting real game time (Umaga, Porter, Tom W) we have the potential to replicate Saints’ upturn in performance. While we’ve all hoped this year would be the return to the playoffs and top tier of Europe, next year we could be even further ahead with the young talent we have.

This year may be a slog but next year could be special

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »
I’m not going to put out that we are the finished article, but there’s a team in green black and gold performing particularly well this year with a group of young lads who were introduced 2 years ago to premiership rugby and are now the new core.

With some players who are just reaching their peak in terms of age (TT, Launch only 28, Dobby still on the young side of 30) and lots of players still in their early 20s being exposed to the first team (Jack W, Minozzi) and a huge number of academy players being promoted this year and getting real game time (Umaga, Porter, Tom W) we have the potential to replicate Saints’ upturn in performance. While we’ve all hoped this year would be the return to the playoffs and top tier of Europe, next year we could be even further ahead with the young talent we have.

This year may be a slog but next year could be special

One major difference

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2019, 09:53:59 PM »
Which is?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2019, 10:19:19 PM »
I'd imagine the difference being suggested is the change of coach....