Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread - Exeter away  (Read 17344 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread - Exeter away
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2019, 07:29:05 PM »
We were supposed to be out of the cycle for this year so suspect not many out of contract. Probably too costly to get rid of players don't want to go.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
I watched Quins - Glaws earlier both 10s are constantly badgering their teammates, one we know only too well and the other is still a youngster. I really don't know why Lima is so passive, 10 is the second pain in the backside after 9. Both JoeS and Care as SHs also in the ear of their forwards and backs, that talking adds momentum and desire.....I really like Dan but he doesn't seem to have that angry streak that you need as a 9, and Lima lacks it too. As an age grade coach, we are constantly telling kids that talking works far better than telepathy, Wasps seem to rely on the latter.

Take Marler as an example, love or loathe (I tend to love) him, he is a constant communicator, perhaps Dai should instil more communication into the psyche of the team (or get some help into how to do it), get the players to channel their frustration into positive communication. We are too passive, that has to change or we will see teams of average ability (LI for example) bossing us and taking the points. Rant over, get angrier Wasps....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:32:26 PM by RBB »
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2019, 08:36:58 PM »
I agree RBB, I'd like to see confidence bordering arrogance in these 2 positions...doesn't have to even be the personality but in the way they play.
Kind of why i want to now see Wolly/Umaga axis, the young exuberance and confidence to play what they see rather than executing plays, poor one's at that.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2019, 09:03:52 PM »

I've been thinking about this.
Lima was obviously an All Black fly half, and instinctively we're expecting to have signed one of the greatest 10's on the planet.

However, what does it mean to play 10 for New Zealand?

When you're playing fly half in a struggling team like Wasps, the onus is on you to be the creator, to be everything that is good about the back line. When you have a bad day, the team has a bad day, when you have a good day, the team looks amazing.

However, is it the same to be a fly half for the AB's?
There's creativity and dominance all over the park already. The chances are that at the very least the forwards are getting parity at the set piece, quick ball is often available, there's at least 3 strike runners on the move ready to take the ball, and intelligent centres running into gaps that are being created.
It seems like the role of the fly half in that scenario is to have a safe set of hands, a good pass, and pick the right option... Or at the very least, pick the least worst option.

With the advantage of hindsight, and from his interviews I think Sopoaga has noticed this too, being a top quality fly half in New Zealand isn't the same as being a top 10 in England.

It almost feels like a wholly different position now that I think about it. The skills are potentially very different. I see why people keep asking to see him play 12 instead.
It really could work, but could be an expensive test