Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Head Coach  (Read 4780 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Head Coach
« on: December 02, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »
If we decided to try adding a head coach in addition to current our director of rugby to our set up, who would you recommend currently?

I'm suggesting possibility of having Dai remain DOR and adding a head coach too. Last season Dai didn't agree to this suggestion when discussing Shaun Edwards, but maybe Vaughan can change things?

My suggestion is Scott Robertson. If he doesn't get All Blacks head coach role (big if) he may choose to go over seas to coach after this super rugby season. I'd throw all the money in the world at him because tactically he's one of the smartest coaches in the world.

I'd like to hear thoughts on why this would/wouldn't work. And suggestions on head coaches scenarios.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »
With Dai saying that there a very few contracts up in the summer so squad churn will be minimal (can't find the interview but he definitely said it), I think coaching team could well be the recruitment focus.

The idea of Robertson would be terrific, but would he want an Ackerman style role at a premiership club? Is he not top man at the crusaders... would it be viewed as a step down to 'Head Coach'?

The name I had in my head (given Edwards & Borthwick have already declined) was actually Stuart Lancaster.... Don't shoot me down just yet!!! I was NOT a fan of him as England boss and was pleased when he was relieved of his duties. However, having seen the work he's done at Leinster, it's made me think about it more rationally....
*  Perhaps a head coach role would suit him better than DOR, can focus on player development rather than the politics?
*  Has a track record in the England set-up of developing the young talent. His work with the Saxons was praised. Could he therefore be the man to help develop our large crop of recent Academy graduates?
*  He's proved at Leinster he can play a big part in rejuvenating a squad (Brian O'D spoke very highly of Lancaster's role in getting Leinster back to a dominant force in Europe)

If we put or thoughts of him as England boss to one side, do people think that actually he might offer an awful lot to our current situation?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Didnt he just extend his stay. The word Available and attainable should be considered.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »
Good point. Maybe NZRU can create ability the work around that because he'd still be with NZRU if he were chosen for All Blacks.... But surely he has a buyout or whatever the terminology is called?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:09:57 PM »
If we decided to try adding a head coach in addition to current our director of rugby to our set up, who would you recommend currently?

I'm suggesting possibility of having Dai remain DOR and adding a head coach too. Last season Dai didn't agree to this suggestion when discussing Shaun Edwards, but maybe Vaughan can change things?

I'd like to hear thoughts on why this would/wouldn't work.

Ok - some of this reply will not be 100% popular....but its no use looking to have a new head coach if the current regime is not open to change/or such a change

I don't want to harp on about Saints - but Mallinder was removed in part because to quote Barnwell

.....his unwillingness to compromise when it came to restructuring his coaching team was more problematic. Barwell revealed: “We wanted to bring in someone to assist Jim, but that was a stumbling block – he was not happy with it…”

So - in my view - unless there is a willingness to embrace a different way of doing things and allow a freshening up of coaching matters - then  it doesn't matter who you try to recruit

Now, many people here are closer to Wasps - I have no knowledge of behind the scenes - but if on the back of how it was going last season - Dai wasn't going to consider changes such as a Head Coach, then nothing will change unless attitude have changed.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »
That's really enlightening to this situation thank you. I too know nothing behind the scenes, but it's interesting to know that's what happened at Saints....

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »
My number one target, with the Wasps DNA in mind (We’ve tended to be a fast-paced/skilful team rather than one of brute force) would be Ben Ryan.  But can’t see it would be a big enough lure for him.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »
One way or another, Dai did confirm Wasps were looking to recruit at some level or another into the purely coaching side of the setup, just that there wasn't anyone available. That is a LONG way from the hint of a suggestion that he is opposed to a head of coaching.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
I have no doubt at all that the club are looking into all the options for coaching. If the right person comes free for a Head Coach role I don't see Dai having objections.  I'm sure he can see that something needs to change.

Which gets me to wondering about the former Wasps who are now coaching, and whether any of them might be looking for a nice role in the next year or so. Raffa? Kinga? Worzel? What about George Smith? What's he doing these days?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »
Aren't Raffa & Worzel set firmly in the French camp? Don't know about the other two.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
Ok - as I said - I was only commenting in respect of the original post and what it appeared to suggest

If that's not the case - great.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
Rafael is the French coach now is he not supported by Edwsrds. Worsley is with Castres until the end of the season but being praised fo might get longer. King is still with Montpellier I think but there are rumours of regime change so may be out of the equation there at the end of the season but not sure he has been too successful.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Stinging Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »
I think Dai moving up to DoR with a Head Coach would work very well. We cannot and mustn't forget the contribution Dai has made but he now needs help because he isn't getting enough from his current team. I'd like to see us make an audacious bid for Lam or Cockerill. Neither would happen of course but it would show intent. Failing that, how about reducing Salarycens financial woes by trying to pinch Alex Sanderson? We need to do something if we aren't going to be biting our nails all season just hoping that Tigers will stay worse than us!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 06:46:01 PM »
You only missed Eddie Jones, Steve Hansen and Warren Gatland from your list.
We showed intent in trying for Edwards, i'd rather not look like the proverbial clown in talking to people who clearly wont be interested.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 06:48:23 PM »
You only missed Eddie Jones, Steve Hansen and Warren Gatland from your list.
We showed intent in trying for Edwards, i'd rather not look like the proverbial clown in talking to people who clearly wont be interested.

I have to agree with that. After failing with Edward's and Borthwick we looked a tad desperate in bringing in an untried League coach.
Let me tell you something cucumber