Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Budget issues  (Read 9030 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Budget issues
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
So latest Bobby Bridge report says we're spending under the cap, and don't have the budget to bring in an injury joker.

Looks like we're trying to make a push to being more self sustaining. A good thing of course, but it maybe the results suffer a bit in doing so.

Do you have a URL link to the article?

Here you are:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-injury-updates-dai-young-17352540
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
Peej - re Tigers

I did say "if" they get over their issues. no, it didn't help at the w/e, but even if they play averagely,its a decent set of players to have.

And as for England calls, we just don't know. Jones is quoted as suggesting a refresh of the squad - looking to 2023, so perhaps.

But last season, Ford dragged them over the line. He's there an fit still

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
Peej - re Tigers

I did say "if" they get over their issues. no, it didn't help at the w/e, but even if they play averagely,its a decent set of players to have.

And as for England calls, we just don't know. Jones is quoted as suggesting a refresh of the squad - looking to 2023, so perhaps.

But last season, Ford dragged them over the line. He's there an fit still

This generally. I think Tigers will click and make safety. We just need to do it quicker!

I am dreading EJ deciding that a Willis or two need to be in the squad.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »
So latest Bobby Bridge report says we're spending under the cap, and don't have the budget to bring in an injury joker.

Looks like we're trying to make a push to being more self sustaining. A good thing of course, but it maybe the results suffer a bit in doing so.

Do you have a URL link to the article?

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-injury-updates-dai-young-17352540

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
/quote]
This generally. I think Tigers will click and make safety. We just need to do it quicker!

I am dreading EJ deciding that a Willis or two need to be in the squad.

I think we're behind Tigers in a number of aspects - they might be playing rather badly, but I'd guess they know their best first XV, I'd not be 100% certain we do and I'm struggling to see what we need to do to click - or even if that's possible - he said - glass half empty

But....we can put out a world class front row and backrow, looking forwards to Young and Brad being fit, we've looked pretty good upfront when its clicked. I'm more concerned by the backs. Its a lot of pressure for a tyro 10, we need Dan at his best, and the back three to look like they've met before. I can see a game plan - that won't be very "Wasps", more forward orientated, and lower risk that at least gets us into the position to win games. Its not form or how pretty we look, its points that count. And a scrappy 9-3 win will do just fine!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 10:12:09 AM »
I seem to remember being told back in 2014 that Wasps were going to become the wealthiest rugby club in the world, just a couple of years on from near oblivion.  When is this going to happen as we now appear to be much closer to oblivion again?

No good trying to dress it up as some kind of opportunity for rebuilding.  We might get relegated and that would have potentially terminal consequences.  The finances we were promised at the time of the move haven't materialised.  We got 2 or 3 decent seasons with nice headline grabbing signings before financial reality bit.  No playoffs, no Champions Cup = reduced revenue.  A relegation scrap looks as likely this year as it did in 2012, and that could be the end of the road.  Coventry already has a Championship rugby club.  Surely it can't support another one.  Would Midlands based supporters still remain loyal to Wasps if they find themselves in the same league as the established local side?  Would SE based supporters continue to schlep 100 miles to watch Championship rugby?  Certainly in both cases, not in anything like the numbers they do currently. Quins and Saints both came back stronger following relegation, but in very different circumstances.

5 games into the Prem season and let's not beat about the bush, we are in the mire.  Sarries will sail past us by about February at a guess.  Whoever suggested Worcester might make it a 3 way scrap needs to take a look at the table (they're a point and 2 places ahead of Irish for one).  There's plenty of time for things to change, and at this stage of the season one win can send you 4-5 places up the table, but that win needs to come soon before losing becomes too much of a habit.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but this is the reality of where we're at.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:13 AM »
There must be some room in the salary cap because Garratt and Neale's wages would have been part of the cap at the start of the season but that doesn't mean we have the cash in the budget to sign a 3 month injury cover which would probably cost a lot more than what we've saved with Garratt and Neale leaving.

I think we're just going to have to muddle through for the enxt few games and hope more are fit for the Quins game.

Regarding our current relegation rivals  (and Sarries) - a lot of their snr players will already be well through their "mins played"  season quotas because of the summer warm-up and WC games. I don;t know what the limit is but I know its been reduced from last season.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »
Having room in the salary cap does not mean we have money in the budget. I get the feeling that is the issue. Money 'saved' by not having some players on the books any more is unlikely to be made available for new players. If we lose players, I think Dai will have to live with that. I suspect next season's budget may be tighter. If we lost an expensive player, there is no guarantee that money would then become available.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
It's a fine balance as there is so little between the teams in 3rd and 4th and those in 11th and 12th.  Cutting back too far and suddenly you are in 12th looking up, spending too much may easily see you in 7th and way over budget. It's a tough tightrope to walk, unless you are the Cheats in which you spend what you want.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 12:49:06 PM »
Do medical jokers not get paid out of the insurance money for injured players - and are so outside the cap? Or have I imagined that?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
Do medical jokers not get paid out of the insurance money for injured players - and are so outside the cap? Or have I imagined that?

Nothing to do with the cap (there's a limit of £400k on medical jokers within the cap), it's a Wasps budget issue, not a PRL salary cap issue.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »

I would have thought insurance money would only be paid out for long term  injuries, probably 6 months or more.

As Raggs says.. it sounds like we simply don't have cash on spreadsheet to pay for temporary cover. I would hope that's simply the board telling Dai to stick to a pre-agreed budget.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 02:05:47 PM »
I would have thought insurance money would only be paid out for long term  injuries, probably 6 months or more.

As Raggs says.. it sounds like we simply don't have cash on spreadsheet to pay for temporary cover. I would hope that's simply the board telling Dai to stick to a pre-agreed budget.

This.

If the injuries meet the criteria then the replacement is outside the cap, if they don't then it is not, and you have to ask then if we actually need it.  I'm sure that if when it comes to the Quins game we are still struggling to find a squad to put out then the money will be there. I'm also sure that the club is already looking at possible short term signings. But it's really important we get them right, we signed Nemo as injury cover and he is now one of our best players...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
Looks like we are back to shopping at lidl again, we do have to be smarter in our choices from now on. Maybe younger more hungry players then journey men.

This season is definitely going to be a hard season for us, I'm struggling to find a squad that is worst then ours, I think we are in serious trouble. It's our own fault we have made some very poor player choices in the last couple of seasons, my only positive is hopefully our younger players get us out of trouble. Then how long can we hold onto them, if we get relegated or we keep scrapping to stay up.

If we make top 6 then I would say this will be Dai's best season for us, as it would be an amazing achievement. We have got to stop the volume of injuries and the players need to play as a team or we will go down.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
Alluding to where VV is going. Hypothetical, you have cash on the office desk for a short term signing. The bigger question is 'who is that signing'? Spending cash for the sake of having it is nonsense. Nakarawa aside, who is sitting by the phone that will change our direction. You can pick up a warm body anywhere.
On paper we already have a top 6 side, will adding another quality player will just add to the malaise we are currently suffering, it'll just be more expensive malaise? For a positive spin on it, If we can hang in there on the set pieces would having Sheilds on the pitch improve our open field play, effectively 4 back rowers?
I never thought I'd do this but I have dropped 50 quid on us being relegated, the odd's were too good to ignore given how our fellow strugglers have kicked on. Worc still favourites to go down..looking at their results and confidence to play, no chance. Our only saving grace is that we have lost away to teams that most people will also lose away to.