Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Josh Has Not Been Forgotten  (Read 2190 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Josh Has Not Been Forgotten
« on: December 04, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
Explained - why Josh Bassett has been missing from Wasps squads

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-josh-bassett-17357528

Well, IMO, Josh was, for whatever reason, overplayed last season and he had lost his mojo. Hopefully when he returns he will have got it back and also the ball runs in his direction.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Josh Has Not Been Forgotten
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
Explained - why Josh Bassett has been missing from Wasps squads

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-josh-bassett-17357528

Well, IMO, Josh was, for whatever reason, overplayed last season and he had lost his mojo. Hopefully when he returns he will have got it back and also the ball runs in his direction.

Fingers crossed - we need him on top form. You could IMO see the same for Mike le B last season who had to fill in for Jimmy and looked out of it by Christmas

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
Will be good to have a fully firing Josh back.  Although as with TV2 before him, I think he benefited from having Wade on the other wing and the additional space that appears when defenders are faced with someone like that.  Good finishers when given space, something that Wasps have failed to create much of in attack of late.  Similar to Ben Cohen scoring hat-fulls for England when Jason Robinson was on the other wing.

Confused by this stat: "Bassett has featured in just one of Wasps' last five match-day squads and has appeared in just 43 per cent of the club's total minutes played this term.".  I'm guessing that includes cup games that were little more than pre-season friendlies, so percentage much lower for actual meaningful games.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 07:26:34 PM »
It would be great to have Bassett back. Clinical finisher which we've missed a bit. Kibirige and Odogwu look dangerous going forward but Bassett is better defensively for me. On balance I still think he has the edge and I'd be starting with Watson and Bassett on wings.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:59 PM »
It would be great to have Bassett back. Clinical finisher which we've missed a bit. Kibirige and Odogwu look dangerous going forward but Bassett is better defensively for me. On balance I still think he has the edge and I'd be starting with Watson and Bassett on wings.
See I feel the opposite, he isn't a finisher for me but more of a workhorse. He wont create space, he can only work if space is provided, yet the other 2 need less space to create something. Def a better defender. He should be considered given the right opposition but unless that pony has added another trick then he is 3rd starter for me.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
See I feel the opposite, he isn't a finisher for me but more of a workhorse. He wont create space, he can only work if space is provided, yet the other 2 need less space to create something. Def a better defender. He should be considered given the right opposition but unless that pony has added another trick then he is 3rd starter for me.
I tend to agree with the above, I like Josh but he is pretty one-dimensional. He has no step, therefore unless he takes the ball with a very clear open channel then he is easy to stop. Odogwu and Kibirige both offer better attacking options but need work doing on their defence and Odogwu in particular, sometimes taking a moment to think before just blindly running into traffic. Kibirige's kick chase is also being read too often or is misjudged, he needs a bit more variation.

None of our wings are at the level of quality and consistency we need, this issue being our benchmark is Christian Wade, which is an impossible act to follow. If we can fix the defensive issues and start getting Watson to be more involved then we will be okay, not great but okay. However time is running out, so action needs to be taken quickly and change has to be made to stick. I would expect Gleeson to be working on this as a priority, as his League experience must have given him insight into how effective their wings need to be working in tight spaces and developing their defence.
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 07:43:03 PM »
There's not a lot in it in reality. We've swapped quality for depth on the wings but I think we're probably on a par with most Prem sides. Sirker would have added another dimension were it not for the unfortunate injury.