Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread?  (Read 11735 times)

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
Always love that penalty for not rolling away when your being held in the ruck by a player off their feet....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jack9909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 04:49:16 PM »
One of the weakest, most pathetic attacking displays I can remember seeing from wasps.

Taxi for dai, Costello and blackett? Performances seem to get exponentially worse from week to week

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 04:50:32 PM »
 >:(

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
Game not even finished 2 mins and a taxi for Dai comment..slow your roll fella.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
That is a really poor performance from the team.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
I thought there was some good moments. Good kicking by backs, Young was impressive at breakdown, good lineout, good defence.

Problems were scrum, highball, discipline towards the end and most importantly attack.

There was one point in the second half where we created a massive gap for Minozzi to run in, that was the only example of creative attack I saw from us all game. We were pretty awful in attack. Passing out to the wings isn't good enough. Not enough creating opportunities.

On the whole not awful, but the attack was dire.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »
Got what we deserved I feel.
Just felt like a L waiting to happen all game.
Any bright sparks were few and far between, and mainly in the first half.
10, 12, 13 showing something close to the square root of zero creativity the whole game.

Scrum got better at least, dealt with their maul, but contrary to our oft quoted maxim, defence does not actually win matches and unless you are the defence coach it is actually less important than scoring, which we did not threaten to do very often.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
I am not sure we deserved to win (but did Edinburgh?) but that was never a penalty against us to give them the win. 2 forwards counter-rucked, and rucked it back with their feet. ref gives in at the side. Frustrating.

We do struggle to create go forward outwide. Too often Sopoanga and Gopperth we're taking it deep or being pressured into passing to guys not hitting great lines. Our attack really lacked intent.

Defence was a lot better though, kept them out numerous times.

So, time to "focus on the league" ?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »
Oh and that gap. Have a look at what happened after when the ball came out and they were not organised, I think it was to Lima, could be wrong, apologies if so, but unless the attack drills have been 'run east west like a headless chicken until you have sucked the life out of the move and get tackled', we clearly had no clue what to do when we made the break.

Jack9909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »

9 wins in 28 games in 2019. 2 of those in the prem cup against second teams. 1 against Agen.

Is that good enough? Sport is a results based business.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »
Ruck and maul defence was excellent, as was lineout.
Scrum was pressured but Edinburgh are a big team, sometime you just have to do your best. I thought JTA put himself about a bit which was good, as did Harris. Cardall again put in a shift and the enforcer didn't stop. Overall i thought the forward were pretty good. Carr once again excellent.
Not so good was our set play, what there was of it and general malaise in the back. Fekitoa, or turnstile, is proving a liability. Sops better but still mixed. Biggest worry is our inability to create any width. When we rarely did find the outside edge we'd pretty much always run out of space.
I'm happy with where the forwards are but the backs need to sort their heads out. They will need to find themselves this week if we are to beat Quins. They got hammered on the scoreboard last night but didn't actually play badly.
I'll just about take some solace from that fowards display as Edinburgh are no mugs as opposition.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »

9 wins in 28 games in 2019. 2 of those in the prem cup against second teams. 1 against Agen.

Is that good enough? Sport is a results based business.
No one said it was good enough. Appreciate the stat google on my behalf.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »
Out of Europe in the bottom cup after only 4 games, that’s impressive.

It’s going to be a very unpleasant season, I believe that as we have no 13 or wingers of any note, that is what will see us go down this season.

We have brought in too many poor players plus a shocking coaching set up.

I really don’t know when we will win again, maybe Agen away but I’m not confident

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »
I'm not saying here for one min that we were good or that we didn't deserve to lose. But I hope the club is at present making an official complaint about that ref.  Never in a month of sundays was that a penalty with 2mins to go.  We should have however not allowed the game to be that close and that is our fault. But it feels like this is just the latest in a long list of errors by refs in Europe against us.  Additionally I also understand that the ref doesn't have a TMO but if everyone else can see YY being tackled around the neck I'm amazed the 3 officials couldn't see it either.

I'd say apart from at scrum time (which we have 5 2nd rows out injured) I thought the forwards did an amazing job of standing toe to toe.  The backs however seemed to feel rushed I don't know if it's they are unsure of what they are doing or they don't know what they are doing but they seem to be in two minds.

Anyway on to the next one, hopefully we get some 2nd rows back to bulk up the scrum.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
Well we’ll see when Derek blinks, he’s the bloke staring down being minus a gazillion quid.