Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours of a merger  (Read 5917 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours of a merger
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »

What are the chances of increasing to 14 clubs and dropping, or dramatically changing the domestic cup?

So many of us want the cup to be about player development and maybe for players returning from injury.

A 14 team league would mean 26 league games (plus some play offs), plus European games.
That's less games than the top players play at the moment.

I know the argument that no one will sponsor a development cup, but how much do the clubs really get from it at the moment?

14 clubs (who would be the 14th and would they be given or would they have to buy PRL shares?) makes more sense and then changing the format of the secondary competition.. maybe make it a pure knockout competition rather than the current round robin league and play-offs.

As each round of the competition takes place less and less clubs would be involved so most clubs will play less games.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:07:42 AM by BG »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
I'd welcome a return to a straight knock out cup involving the national leagues, seeding the prem clubs in early rounds to keep them apart and allow them to field development sides against strong and motivated Championship clubs for example.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
I'd welcome a return to a straight knock out cup involving the national leagues, seeding the prem clubs in early rounds to keep them apart and allow them to field development sides against strong and motivated Championship clubs for example.

+1.

Maybe have rounds 1 and 2 that involve championship and 2nd Division clubs.. the teams getting through passed the 2nd round then play against Academy/A PRL teams.. Initionally the PRL teams would be restricted as to who they can use.

As the competition progresses, the PRL teams still left in the competition can choose to use any player on their books or simply use as a development competition.