Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Latest on Sarries and the salary cap  (Read 7093 times)

Heathen

• View Profile

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Latest on Sarries and the salary cap
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 02:39:26 PM »
Which implies they know the wording of the current regulations need tweaking but this comes across as PRL burying the problem under more layers of consultants and management.

In my opinion the only body that can enforce change are the other 12 clubs.. the big question is this season. All of their current squad contracts were in place before the season started and for all of the Sarries supporters explanations of who has left, I struggle to believe the wage bill has reduced given who they have signed.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
The need to include a total ban on all equine methods of transportation as Nigel is determined to drive a coach and horses through the regulations whatever they try to cover.

Whatever they do, with the confidentiality rules in place there will be a divide between those who think that the poor Sarries have been misjudged and those who a sure that they are taking the proverbial, and so the competition remains devalued.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 08:12:11 PM »
For me the continued infringement appears as obvious as the historic one. There has patently been no change to the squad. One of the most illogical and wrong things I've ever seen.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
Sorry to my mind this is a planned cover up. They are all too scared of Wray's lawyers to impose anything else. Last time they cheated the cap was raised so why shouldn't he get his way.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »
I love the comments- one guy refers to the system working against teams producing England players.
What an utter twat. The system works against the teams that Sarries nick England players from and claim as their own whilst spending more than everyone. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
I love the comments- one guy refers to the system working against teams producing England players.
What an utter twat. The system works against the teams that Sarries nick England players from and claim as their own whilst spending more than everyone.
Exactly - utter rubbish. Anyhow, I'd rather have a weak England team than a compromised Premiership.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
Exactly - utter rubbish. Anyhow, I'd rather have a weak England team than a compromised Premiership.

With a fair and equal system in the pemiership you get a strong England team long term. With a team that blatantly cheats and harvests all the players who could be internationals you remove competition and therefore the overall standard drops and the England team is weaker.

You also destroy the fan engagement that every club other than Sarries is so desparate to nurture.

The end result is you have an international team who are mediocre, and a domestic game no one gives a shit about. 
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »
I'm with VV - only I'm probably an early adopter - I've got increasingly bored with the England set up given the Sarries relationship and the Prem is already devalued

That semi where we scored 5 tries vs the EA's, selection on a level playing field would have surely given us a chance without facing 5 of England's starting pack and one of SA's.....

I know its a hiding to nothing to look back - but that semi and the final are devalued - and if you were Exeter - you'd be pretty pissed off

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 01:00:19 PM »
I'm with VV - only I'm probably an early adopter - I've got increasingly bored with the England set up given the Sarries relationship and the Prem is already devalued

That semi where we scored 5 tries vs the EA's, selection on a level playing field would have surely given us a chance without facing 5 of England's starting pack and one of SA's.....

I know its a hiding to nothing to look back - but that semi and the final are devalued - and if you were Exeter - you'd be pretty pissed off

Their English forwards don’t bother me at all, three home grown, Mako almost, came very early although was tipped for big things, Billy a little later but both would have been on small contracts then, so decent recruitment - could easily have been us when signing Sale youngsters, obviously the Vunipolas are now on bigger contracts along either Kruis, George and Itoje, tough to keep them under cap and keep all your best players as a result but they have nurtured and grown them into the players they are now (with our help of course with Billy)
It’s the signings like Maitland, Williams and Daly that wind me up, players on top of their games, Lions, commanding big money to start with with no homegrown credits for the club. Then throw in Lewington, Koch, Skelton and Loz who could have gone anywhere at the time but Sarries could afford them and have since gone up in value.
There is no question they have recruited well
From the Championship and have found rough diamonds, they have an excellent assembly line of talent and nurture them well but there needs to be a level playing field for everyone in how whole squads are assembled and maintained. I too feel this is the start of another cover up.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »
Billy V was already on the England radar, and was picked for England whilst still with Wasps. sorry, but he wouldn't have been on a small contract at that point.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
Billy V was already on the England radar, and was picked for England whilst still with Wasps. sorry, but he wouldn't have been on a small contract at that point.

Not small I agree but totally manageable within any team at the time with the cap how it was, he was only 20 after all, enough to tempt him away but obviously no where near what he is on now a few more contracts in.
I was gutted to lose Billy, especially after having seen him at school level at about 15 and followed him closely after. The dealings with his Dad were the frustrating part of that deal, and of course it being Sarries, I still believe they recruited well however in this situation, like Leicester with Genge or Bath with Underhill. Nothing like signing Daly this time around.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »
Interesting line in the Mail article today - "The salary cap regulations allow for a mid-season audit - which could relate to this season or as far back as five seasons ago - and make clear that if Saracens refuse to accept such action they could face a further six-point deduction for a 'failure to cooperate'."

Also RiL indicating that there is more to come and quotes some Salary Cap Regs - obviously rumours probably but shows others are still angry.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »
I think those poor Sarries have been very harshly treated. After all they've done for the England team... As their supporters rightly point out, Harlequins also cheated quite blatantly in a European match against Leinster which led to the "Bloodgate" scandal and by comparison Saracens punishment was completely out of proportion. I believe that this should be rectified ASAP so Sarries supporters can get over their persecution complex. So, whilst there was the suggestion that Harlequins had used fake blood at up to four other matches, they were only charged over the Leinster HC Quarter Final- one match- and were fined £259,000 with Dean Richards receiving a 3 year ban. Saracens have admitted cheating for three seasons. Assuming HC matches fall outside of the salary cap and ignoring the Premiership Cup, that's 66 Premiership matches so pro rata they should be fined £15.774 million and the charming, utterly blameless Mr Wray- a man closing on on Fararge's achievement of making Nigel the least popular name in the English language- should be banned from having any part in rugby until the year 2217. There, couldn't be fairer could we?