Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Is our attack really the issue?  (Read 3667 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Is our attack really the issue?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 11:37:15 PM »
Robinson, while great with the ball, was an awful kicker and cost us many games.
Not wasps worst fly hslf, that was Leak by a country mile..but I don't reminisce with fondness.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »
No argument he had a truely awful radar, but he was superb with ball in hand, hence I would have him over Lima in a heartbeat, because we have seen almost nothing from him so far. I am hoping he just switches on like Watson did and suddenly clicks, but it is a very different position, obviously. I am struggling to think of a ten just clicking from nowhere.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 02:00:22 PM »
Many years ago (well about 55 to be more exact), our school Rugby master, who was the then captain of Wales, was adamant that it was hard to defend against fast ball from the ruck/scrum passed to players who were already running pre-determined lines when they received the ball. We spent a lot of time practising and developing these lines so everyone knew the different lines and was able to pass to the players knowing they would be there.

On Saturday Quins were doing this. However from every ruck/scrium Wasps players received the ball standing still.

Just saying....
So your rugby master would have been Clive Rowlands I guess Roger. He was also Welsh coach from 1968-1974 which was a highly successful period, where many highly talented players became a great team. So I think he knew what he was talking about.

I totally agree. At any level you get an advantage by speed of action giving momentum to exploit an opening. Training should be about providing insight and skills to recognise and execute from 2nd nature. This is so patently lacking in Wasps play currently and the players who've left recently are those that used to have that inherent ability.

Funnily enough I was talking to my son yesterday about coaching inadequacies and recalled an U12 game he played in at scrum half, which I reffed, some 15 years ago. He gave a quick flat pass from a ruck to his blind side winger close to the touch line with nobody at home in defence on that side. The pass went straight into touch right where his other coaches were standing. One of them groaned and told him he should have found his man. I had to stop myself laughing when he replied 'I passed it to where he should have been running. It's your job to make sure he does.' It was so true and how I tried to coach the kids at that time.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »
No - John Dawes, who was also captain /coach of London Welsh which was the pre-eminent team at that time (the late 1960s).

I went to Spring Grove Grammar in Hounslow, where Dawes was the Chemistry master who introduced Rugby to the school. It was interesting because he used the School team to develop moves that we then saw LW and Wales use.