Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Is the message right?  (Read 2022 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Is the message right?
« on: December 26, 2019, 02:44:59 PM »
I'm not really one for attaching much relevance to what coaches say to the press but I'm just wondering what underlying, almost subconscious mindset is being fostered at the club. So far this season before the Sale, Glaws and now Briz game Dai has included in his pre match narrative something akin to "it's important to come away from away games with something" referring to lbp's or tbp's. Is this correct? Is this seeping into the players consciousness? Does it tell us how Dai rates his squad? Don't get me wrong, it's wrapped up in the usual "we're going there to win" bits but if it were me I'd just talk about winning.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Is the message right?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
No, it is not the right message. It is down and negative. It is like saying to a kid at the bowling alley, who has already put all the previous balls they bowled straight in to the gutter, 'Let's see if we can hit at least 1 pin?'

It is what I would call a snowflake message. Everybody wins, just for taking part and trying. Medals galore, you all get one. Except, you don't. Not in this game.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
Adding a touch of  reality to a media soundbite, because lets be honest, this is all it is, i'm pretty sure there is alternate talk within the camp, unless you believe that Dai just passes the players a copy of the Coventry Telegraph to convey his strategies?
I know we are in the doldrums but looking for subliminal messages to add to the current malaise isn't going to improve the situation.
BTW - every team should look to come away from away games with something (can include a win), much like every team targets to win at home.
Nothing to see here.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
Adding a touch of  reality to a media soundbite, because lets be honest, this is all it is, i'm pretty sure there is alternate talk within the camp, unless you believe that Dai just passes the players a copy of the Coventry Telegraph to convey his strategies?
I know we are in the doldrums but looking for subliminal messages to add to the current malaise isn't going to improve the situation.
BTW - every team should look to come away from away games with something (can include a win), much like every team targets to win at home.
Nothing to see here.

+ 1
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
I am not reading too much into it either way though.  Interestingly he did not take time to praise the opposition as he often does.

For comparison, prior to last year's best win.....

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/press-notes-thursday-11-april/

Dai is pretty bland (in a good way) in what he says to the press. What he says to the players is a different kettle of fish, one hopes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 04:27:26 PM by westwaleswasp »

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:30:19 PM »
“Every point is hugely important. You’ve got to try and come away with at least something from every away game, but we are going there to win.

Puts closer to this thread i guess.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »
Not sure I agree Hymoneptera. The point I'm making is that everyone knows coaches state the obvious. It's why interviews pre, post or during matches are cliche ridden irrelevances. But there's something that's slipped into Dai's narrative that gives us a window into his thoughts. Maybe it's nothing but if the head honcho has started going into games talking the talk but secretly hoping for a point here and there that will filter through.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 12:01:55 AM »
I think you have answered your own question, cliche ridden irrelevances

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »
I'm hoping he's trying to say we must fight for every point and not give up until the final whistle.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 10:06:14 PM »
I'm hoping he's trying to say we must fight for every point and not give up until the final whistle.

Well I'd say that - at last - the message got through to the players!