Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lozowski  (Read 5951 times)

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lozowski
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »
I don’t think form would be an issue... just look at Hughes and Simpson, both arguable hugely out of form last season but unarguably are on fire this season. Sometimes a change of scenery/environment is what a player needs.

We’re a different side to the one he left so hoping factors in the decision back then are as weighted this time around.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 09:12:52 AM »
For me the issue is we need a proven or at worst an emerging inside centre now, it would be good to see Lozowski return but that won't be until next season at the earliest, unless he and the EAs are looking to break their contract (doubtful). I am not convinced it is even news, he is out of contract at the end of the season, so journalists speculate. Same scenarios in play with Jonny May, Genge etc.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:19:04 AM by RBB »
It was fine when I left it.....

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 09:14:12 AM »
If Los did come back the way I see the pecking order is Loz starting 12 (3rd choice FH) with Booj as back-up 12, and Feks starting 13 with JdeJ as back up 13. Quite frankly if a player isn't will to have competition for his shirt then why would you want them in the team anyway.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
I think I need convincing that he really wants to come back. Also given our, apparent, financial state would not get a better offer elsewhere - join Wasps SW.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »
If Los did come back the way I see the pecking order is Loz starting 12 (3rd choice FH) with Booj as back-up 12, and Feks starting 13 with JdeJ as back up 13. Quite frankly if a player isn't will to have competition for his shirt then why would you want them in the team anyway.

Never mentioned JdeJ not competing for the shirt, he certainly doesn't strike me as someone to down tools if not being picked but being in a different country and probably not short of offers from home might be a different matter.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
Booj has re-signed so unless something dramatic happens he'll be with us for another 2 - 3 seasons (Gopps won't as a player). I'm not quite sure what some people have against him. He's a good squad level player and by the time his next contract comes up we may have discovered a rough diamond via the U18's and academy.

If Dai has just re-signed him he obviously thinks there's value and more development in him.

Will Gopps stay on for one more year? I think both himself and Dai are probably waiting until March to see how bnoth of them feel on the idea.

Regarding Loz - the bigger question is, would he be willing to come back? Would Dai want him back?

I was under the impress he partly left because he was unhappy with the situation at Wasps (game time, location, Dai, prospects?).

Have the reasons behind him leaving changed?

He may have had a bit of a reality hit at Sarries as he watched other players used ahead of him? And might not expect quite so much now?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 10:08:45 AM »
I think I need convincing that he really wants to come back. Also given our, apparent, financial state would not get a better offer elsewhere - join Wasps SW.

If Sops is on £600k and we offer Loz, say, £400k it’s likely a significant pay rise for Loz and a £200k/annum saving for us.  That’s not to say we should, or will offer him that but taking a reduction on Sops’ salary and giving Loz a pay rise to tempt him would be a smart move, I think. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
Not convinced- also Lima was said at his signing to be on less than Biggar at Saints who it is rumoured to be the £600k figure.

Willing to be convinced but another risky EA cast off possible.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 10:18:59 AM »
On the maths side if we do part company with Sopoaga we'd need to sign another 10 as well as Lozowski who most see as a 12 so probably no saving to be had. Also, we've recently heard Sopoaga commit to staying so I'm not so sure he's going anyway. I'd be happy to sign Lozowski as an out and out 12. I think it's as simple as that.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
On the maths side if we do part company with Sopoaga we'd need to sign another 10 as well as Lozowski who most see as a 12 so probably no saving to be had. Also, we've recently heard Sopoaga commit to staying so I'm not so sure he's going anyway. I'd be happy to sign Lozowski as an out and out 12. I think it's as simple as that.

We may be planning on bringing the academy 10 through (can't remember his name, ginger lad if I recall correctly).

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »

If Sops is on £600k and we offer Loz, say, £400k it’s likely a significant pay rise for Loz and a £200k/annum saving for us.  That’s not to say we should, or will offer him that but taking a reduction on Sops’ salary and giving Loz a pay rise to tempt him would be a smart move, I think.

£400K? If Dai or Wasps even contemplated that they need their collective heads looking at.

I know he's at the EA's and he's probably only being paid £30k a year so would welcome a pay rise but £400k is current international territory.. and a good one at that.

Being a rarely used squad player at EA's I would think £150k tops.

If he was to move then my bet would be either Bath or Quins.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
Find it hard to believe that Loz left Wasps due to lack of game time given where he went.

Maybe he's struggling to make ends meet in London having taken a huge pay cut when he moved??

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »
Find it hard to believe that Loz left Wasps due to lack of game time given where he went.

Maybe he's struggling to make ends meet in London having taken a huge pay cut when he moved??

He was given the Sarries 10 shirt, whilst Farrell was away with England (and injury), however his performances saw him dropped for Alex Goode. He was then tried in other places in the backline, but not 1st choice, and injury backup only.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
Not convinced- also Lima was said at his signing to be on less than Biggar at Saints who it is rumoured to be the £600k figure.
Sops signed for 500k, yes Biggar is on 600k

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »
Id love to see Loz back in black and gold. Think Loz left over a combination of leaving London and the fact that we had an opportunity to sign a world class 10 in Cips meaning Loz wouldn’t get much game time.

However he’s had periods of very encouraging form at Sarries, become an international but fallen down the pecking order again.

Maybe 3 years can be long enough for him to realise London isn’t everything when it comes to rugby and Wasps could give him the opportunity to push on as a starting player (12 being a good position with his running threat).

Think Gopps will keep getting 1 year contracts until he wants to retire but wouldn’t be surprised to see him move more and more into the coaching set up, maybe as a skills coach initially.