Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lozowski  (Read 5949 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Lozowski
« on: December 30, 2019, 08:24:22 PM »
Ruck.co.uk have Loz linked again to us in their ‘top players out of contract this year’ article. Also says it’s is likely due to the departures of Lima and Jimmy at the end of the season.
Perhaps nothing new here about Jimmy and Lima as likely Jimmy will retire.

Also not sure what Loz’s best position is anymore, wanted to play 10, perhaps the long term successor to Barritt at 12, shunted out to 13 with the recent trend of more of a playmaker at 13 but I do think he could really be the long term solution for us at 12.
Likes the contact and can tackle well above his weight. An attacking threat on his own but also has the creativity to bring others in around him.

If Lima is off he can also cover 10 with Searle and Umaga as wel as 13 and 15 of course.
Only problem might be our assumed reasons for his departure last time... thought he didn’t want to move to Coventry, perhaps a differing of opinion with Dai rumoured ( although could have made that one up)

This would be an incredible signing for me

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lozowski
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
Would be great for me too

Would probably need to decide on a preference, eventually - but I'd sign him and give him time to decide!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
I'd have Loz back in a heartbeat.  The idea of him playing at 12 outside Umaga, with Fekitoa on the otherside is just plain awesome.

As I understood it he left because he was promised a starting berth, and that hasn't materialised.  I'd heard it was a hard decision for him as he is Wasps through and through.

Not that that means he's coming of course, but I'd be very happy if he did come home.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
I'd have Loz back in a heartbeat.  The idea of him playing at 12 outside Umaga, with Fekitoa on the otherside is just plain awesome.

As I understood it he left because he was promised a starting berth, and that hasn't materialised.  I'd heard it was a hard decision for him as he is Wasps through and through, as is his father.

Not that that means he's coming of course, but I'd be very happy if he did come home.

Thought I'd add a slight amendment!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
Would be an interesting signing. I have a nagging doubt about him defensively playing anywhere else but 10. Having said that he'd be a great option at 12 which is where I'd play him. His ability to cover other positions is a major plus as well. If we're signing him as a 10 he might face the same issue as first time round in terms of game time.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:23:13 PM »
I would be over the moon with the sighing of Loz! As Johnny has said, he’s a the type of player that could offer a viable long term successor to Gopps at 12. It’s also the type of signing that would boost wasps and go with the current trend of building a younger squad... he’s still early in his career but has had some valuable experience in the environment Sarries have, so would be coming in as and experienced head too.

I’d rather throw money at Loz than at a SH superstar. Loz in on the cusp of international
Rugby but not quite getting in the squad, so offers the calibre but is around all season.

Please let this be true!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:39:20 PM »
Jimmy retiring wouldn't be a surprise to me, Lima leaving is also not a shock. This could be just precautionary until Lima commits, while simultaneously Loz looking at alternative options.

Also Loz would be, a good spiritual successor to Jimmy. He's on my list as someone I wanted as a replacement who's also a realistic signing.

With Daly, Tompkins, Barritt, Taylor and of course the salary cap you can understand why he's looking. Also not on EJs radar as of late, may look for highest pay check.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
The unsubstantiated reason was that he didn’t want to move to & live around Coventry.
I find it difficult to believe that he wanted a guaranteed starting place in the first team. Does anyone get that?We had Cipriani, Daly, De Jong, Gopperth then. We know have De Jong, Sopoaga, Searle, Umaga, Le Bourgeois, Fekitoa, Spink - assuming that Jimmy retires. Is it a question about which of Sopoaga or Searle might leave?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 10:00:51 PM »
I'll also add:

Is Lozowski in form currently? Signings over the past few seasons include a lot of players who weren't in form when signed, leading to a lot of uncertainty for the season.

See Sopoaga, Toomaga Allen, Minozzi etc.

If Loz is on fire at the moment then sign him. If not then perhaps think twice because we'd be losing Gopperth and Sopoaga for someone who's not better than either.

Edit:

Also, if Sopoaga leaves will Fekitoa stay?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:12:29 PM by HDAWG »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
Loz always struck me as a 12. He just didn't manage a game well enough from 10, and continued to show the same issues at Sarries when they tried him there or 15. On the wing he feels a bit wasted, but centres is just right for me. Enough distribution to be effective and allow play to flow, but a good running threat by himself, and a decent option for a boot if needed.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 11:42:37 PM »
I'd love to have Loz back but I'll believe it when I see it.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 08:13:09 AM »
Jimmy may well transition to the coaching side, I think it would be an attraction for a 10/12 to be coached by Gopperth.

Loz is a Wasp, while we wouldn't necessarily get first dibs, we'd deffo be in with a shout if we made a sensible approach.

Sops isn't value for money, he's decent, but not £600k decent. Maybe get two players for the price of one in the 10/12 positions and get rid of Le B at the same time. Sorry but there is a need to be be ruthless at the moment. We need a clear out at 10/12.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
Yes please! Dai, sign him up!

Forget form, as that might just be lack of game time.  We know he has pace and skill and is Wasps through and through.  Would be a great 12 and just the sort of 12 that I think would work well for us. 

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
Booj has re-signed so unless something dramatic happens he'll be with us for another 2 - 3 seasons (Gopps won't as a player). I'm not quite sure what some people have against him. He's a good squad level player and by the time his next contract comes up we may have discovered a rough diamond via the U18's and academy.

If Dai has just re-signed him he obviously thinks there's value and more development in him.

Will Gopps stay on for one more year? I think both himself and Dai are probably waiting until March to see how bnoth of them feel on the idea.

Regarding Loz - the bigger question is, would he be willing to come back? Would Dai want him back?

I was under the impress he partly left because he was unhappy with the situation at Wasps (game time, location, Dai, prospects?).

Have the reasons behind him leaving changed?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
I would add to the above when does JdeJ contract end, he re-signed Feb this year but another undisclosed length, possibly 2 years? While he is a great team guy and absolutely someone we should be aiming to keep can't see him being too happy with benching behind Fekitoa and Monday night A team games for too long.