Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injury Updates  (Read 7001 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Injury Updates
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »
Shields was looking very good before he was injured.

Would you start him ahead of Jack Willis in a one off, must win game?

I accept there's an argument for Jack playing at 7, but I stand by selecting Jack ahead of Brad at 6

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 05:40:50 PM »

I accept there's an argument for Jack playing at 7, but I stand by selecting Jack ahead of Brad at 6

Nope, but just pointing out that shields has been going well. Would probably pick him over Johnson.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »

Nope, but just pointing out that shields has been going well. Would probably pick him over Johnson.

Agreed.
Shields got the Sopoaga treatment.

A big name SH signing must perform to 9/10 standards every game, from Day1, or they're classed as rubbish.

His performances for us have never been poor.
They also weren't stand out excellent initially, but he's been looking better every time I see him and he seems to add more to the team than just his playing ability.

Willis however is consistently very good and likely still improving.

I feel like I'd rather have Ash on the bench over Brad.
Brad feels like a player that should play from the start, rather than being an impact player from the bench
(I accept that a bench player may come on after 1 minute as well as after 60)

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »
Think with our second row options being tight, Shields return puts less pressure on Gaskell to play if he’s not 100% and come back a little more gradually than in the past, especially with a big period of 6N games without Launch.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 07:12:38 PM »
I'm not sure Launch is making the 6n squad. The cheats remain first choice with some others being given the chance of a support role i feel.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 07:21:06 PM »
Shields should be captain on-pitch.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
I’m a big fan of Shields. Would also like him to be skipper.

6. Shields
7. J.Willis
8. Carr

With TT’s tackle stats and launch in the row, if we get the props carrying more, that back row would be excellent.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2020, 11:16:36 PM »
Stat from OptaJonny: Of the 169 players to make 500+ tackles in premrugby in the last decade Tommy Taylor
recorded the best tackle success rate, missing just 29 of his 900 attempted hits (97%). Truly amazing.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »
I’m a big fan of Shields. Would also like him to be skipper.

6. Shields
7. J.Willis
8. Carr

With TT’s tackle stats and launch in the row, if we get the props carrying more, that back row would be excellent.

I like that, especially with Ash to come off the bench for a bit of impact.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 08:13:49 AM »
Ash will always have an impact. Didn't he go to hooker to prolong his career. Having someone who can cover hooker and back row is perfect for the bench. I get the impression he would do anything for the team.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
Stat from OptaJonny: Of the 169 players to make 500+ tackles in premrugby in the last decade Tommy Taylor
recorded the best tackle success rate, missing just 29 of his 900 attempted hits (97%). Truly amazing.

These are outrageous stats. What a player! Add in his mobility and set piece, quite a contributor!

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 05:46:56 PM »
Players like Tommy Taylor I fancy we have really missed. Massive work rate and does the hard stuff. Surprising how many players like him we have lost in recent season. Mullan was another with a big work rate. I'm pleased how our scrum is developing but I do feel the balance has been abit off due to injuries we tend to be forced to play people. I'm hoping some players returning from injury and what seems to be a strong team spirit we will see an uplift in performance due to competition for places.
Be nice to have Gaskel and Shields back. I'd like to see JDJ given some game time in Europe and Fekitoa a bit of a rest. His knee is heavily strapped. On that note was it me or did Dan Robson have no strapping on for the first time in ages.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
For me Shields is an outstanding player who should be captain. We are fantastically blessed in the back row and when all are fit it just allows us to rotate combinations. Doesn't really matter what the pecking order is and the option to keep players fresh shouldn't be underestimated (look at how it benefits Sarries).

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 06:47:52 PM »
For me Shields is an outstanding player who should be captain. We are fantastically blessed in the back row and when all are fit it just allows us to rotate combinations. Doesn't really matter what the pecking order is and the option to keep players fresh shouldn't be underestimated (look at how it benefits Sarries).

I agree rotation is key and this is where I think we have found ourselves in a terible cycle. Players carrying knocks having to play only to be injured and so on. Let some players make a case for themselves in europe and rest those that might need it. We need competition for places.

I love our options in backrow. Allows us to play a high tempo with some dangerous fresh legs with an ability to attack rucks and out pace people.

Only thing I feel we are missing is a bit of bulk at 12. I like Gopps but just the option would allow us to switch up our play. A bit like what Quins done to us with the USA inside centre. Booj is to much the same.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »

I accept what you're saying and it makes total sense.

However, if you get to a must win knock out game, you need your Captain on the pitch.
If (and I accept it's debatable) he's not the best player in that position, then you have a serious quandary