Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57512 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2020, 08:01:14 PM »
Hundreds of bets across thousands of games. Lost a fair bit of cash.

He's not allowed to bet on any game of rugby. He could have inside knowledge of a lot of teams by talking to payers.

Can you hundreds of bets across thousands of games?

Although not the point, if he lost a lot it doesn't sound like he was getting much inside info

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »

He's not allowed to bet on any game of rugby. He could have inside knowledge of a lot of teams by talking to payers.

Although not the point, if he lost a lot it doesn't sound like he was getting much inside info

Accumulators. He was using good official wru email. Sound more like someone with a gambling problem and a big cry for help, trying to get caught.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
What has Walder done really? Blackett is more successful.

Howley in comparison is worlds away in terms of a step up. He has coached the lions for goodness sake and the backs were pretty exciting in recent tours!
Yes he has been a silly boy but a fresh approach could be massive, maybe knows a skills coach and a defence guru that could come on board too!!

Can’t work until June 10th or something like that but with Walshe gone already from Cov they might want Blackett now, we might need Jimmy to take the reigns with Gleeson until Howler can return

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »

Accumulators. He was using good official wru email. Sound more like someone with a gambling problem and a big cry for help, trying to get caught.
I dont call 4k a lot of cash to lose. Its a holiday for 2 Thailand

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »
I'm not sure we should compare training the Lions or a national team and training a club. This is far different. One can success in one side and be awful in the other.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2020, 09:20:20 PM »
Davidabricot,

We are pointing out his accomplishments. What else can we judge them on prior to joining?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
Playing devils advocate, the common denominator in all the success is the best coach on the planet in Gatland...just saying.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2020, 10:58:01 PM »
Howley was one of the those players who shone in their twilight years for us.

I’m not convinced of his coaching record - As a Backs Coach some of the non-Welsh Lions players were pretty critical of him, suggesting that they ran the tactics such was his lack of imagination and ideas.

He’s had Gatland and Edwards hand-holding him and it’s unclear how big a part he played in Wales’ successes, especially considering they have often been cited as a team who struggles to score tries.

A good looking CV, but not sure the reality would stack up to the theory.

Walder was a fairly conservative Fly-Half (by comparison to the likes of Nicky Robinson at the time), but had Newcastle’s back looking very good, even in the year of their demise some of the tries they scored were sublime.

If we get him, I hope I’m proved wrong.  But he wouldn’t be my first (or second, or third) choice

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2020, 05:27:16 AM »
In between wasp

As a Backs Coach some of the non-Welsh Lions players were pretty critical of him, suggesting that they ran the tactics such was his lack of imagination and ideas.

It's an interesting thing with coaches that I never really understand.
Someone like Brian Ashton is often heralded for letting players make the decisions themselves and come up with their own attacking patterns.
Eddie Jones is often criticsised for controlling things too much.

He’s had Gatland and Edwards hand-holding him and it’s unclear how big a part he played in Wales’ successes, especially considering they have often been cited as a team who struggles to score tries.
That's a bit harsh.
A coaching team, like a playing team is meant to work together and be more than the sum of their parts.
I don't see Edwards or Gatland being the kind of individuals who would keep someone around of they weren't pulling their weight

Walder was a fairly conservative Fly-Half (by comparison to the likes of Nicky Robinson at the time), but had Newcastle’s back looking very good, even in the year of their demise some of the tries they scored were sublime.
As for Walder, he's had a very short coaching career. You could argue that Dean Richards could have been hand holding him in the same way that Gatland and Edwards hand hold Howley.
Newcastle obviously had a great season, but then a very poor one. With the wingers they had they were always going to look very good at times.
Lee Blackett looked like an attacking genius with Wade and Varndell at his disposal, now people are critical when he's working with Bassett and Watson

As with any new arrival we'll never know until they try and get some time under their belts.
However, on paper Howley is up there with the best that we could get

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2020, 11:19:18 AM »
I would say the difference between the dismal Wales attack and the impressive Lions attack structures of 2017 suggests Howley had very little input, and the rumours that Sexton was the dominant voice are certainly pretty credible

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2020, 11:25:51 AM »
'That' try is my favourite Wasps memory. Mainly because I couldn't go to the match.

While everyone seemed to be in London to see the game I was in ... Toulouse!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
The stuff about Sexton and Farrell leading the coaching came from Sean O'Brien and was dismissed by Gatland as being ignorant of the intention. Howley was trying to get players to work out what to do on the pitch and communicate it rather than do what the coach told them to. So you would expect that leadership from the 10s. He used a chaos theory of coaching to get players to asses situations and react. Personally I think that is good coaching. Prescriptive do as I say coaching does not allow for any adaptation to unrecognised situations.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2020, 01:37:45 PM »
The stuff about Sexton and Farrell leading the coaching came from Sean O'Brien and was dismissed by Gatland as being ignorant of the intention. Howley was trying to get players to work out what to do on the pitch and communicate it rather than do what the coach told them to. So you would expect that leadership from the 10s. He used a chaos theory of coaching to get players to asses situations and react. Personally I think that is good coaching. Prescriptive do as I say coaching does not allow for any adaptation to unrecognised situations.

Sounds the opposite of England, at times....I've never seen England play better than (say) 18 min vs SA in SA in 2018 Test one and then fail to adapt all within the same game. I think Gatland's approach is great - you can see that approach when he was boss here!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »
Yes. I have never seen a coach better at turning things around at half-time than Gatland.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
Garland doesn't get a lot of things wrong. And he chose to have Howley as part of his coaching team for a long time. That's a massive endorsement in itself.