Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57468 times)

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
Is Simmonds from the academy a 12 because I’ve thought he looks quite exciting from what I’ve seen of him so far

Yes.
Fantastic

Can guarantee he is going to be the best 12 ever and we’ll never ever have to sign an inside centre ever again.

Looks a good player and maybe we don’t need a huge revolution at 12 if it means Simmonds gets some first xv rugby

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 09:35:47 PM »
The U18 10 looks pretty useful too.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
As is Monye at 9

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 10:46:03 AM »
As is Monye at 9

Didn't we see him come on as sub at Warwick last year (wasn't he 16 or 17 yrs old playing for the U18's?). His passing at that point was a little weak but I'm guessing a year on he's developed physically.

I think Grigg would be a good signing. As others have said I'm a fan of having 2 different styles of players in each position. If plan A isn't working there's no point in bring a "like for like" player onto the pitch to change the game (Lasicke at Quins).

So a Grigg JdJ combo or a Gopps/Booj Fekitoa combo.

Grigg seems to have fallen off the Scotland radar so it make sense for him to try pastures new

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »
As is Monye at 9
Didn't we see him come on as sub at Warwick last year (wasn't he 16 or 17 yrs old playing for the U18's?). His passing at that point was a little weak but I'm guessing a year on he's developed physically.

Yup. He has grown a lot taller, and he has improved a lot as well. Such is the life of just a few months in the life of a teenager. They grow faster than well fed and watered weeds.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »
We're saying Grigg would be a 12, but looking him up it appears he's outside centre/13. So is he replacing Juan De Jongh/Fekitoa? Or would we still use him as 12?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
His highlight reel on YouTube has him with a 12 on his back most of the time.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
We're saying Grigg would be a 12, but looking him up it appears he's outside centre/13. So is he replacing Juan De Jongh/Fekitoa? Or would we still use him as 12?

I would prefer we simply didn't bring in many players, like Grigg. I don't think we will need many. As Dai said, few have contracts that end this year, and I would bet that he has already got most 'leavers' penciled in with Academy replacements.

As I have said in other threads, players fall in to a number groups:

1. (Most of our squad) No contract renewal due.
2. Contract is ending, and have been told they will not be offered a new one. We never say who they are until after January and only then when the player has a confirmed destination, or announces retirement at the season end. These players will have been identified very early (September or October) and by now a replacement lined up. We never announce that replacement until the leaver has announced where they are going, and if it is an Academy player coming up, that would be left to the season end.
3. Contract is ending and have been offered an extension or new contract. We have seen some accept already. Others won't be happy with the offer (and will have said so to Dai). Dai will hope to retain them, but be planning how to replace them. Again, Academy players may be penciled in just in case. As a last resort, Dai may have to see what is available externally. These are the players we here rumors about. Like Cruse and Grigg. Cruse may have been made an offer, decided it wan't enough, and has looked around, and Bristol may have started talking to him. Same with Grigg. We DO need centres, but what type and how many, and could Academy prospects suffice?
4. Certain leavers. They are going. Like Wade, Neal, Beale Le Roux and Cips. And the forced retirements, like Rieder and Jones. And probably MacIntyre, sadly.

I think Dai is very limited on budget. And he realises that we now have an Academy producing players good enough for the shirt, who know the Wasps way. Buying in players is expensive and always has a bedding in period, and sometimes they never bed in.

It would not surprise me if we bought in no players at all.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »
From Bobby Bridges Friday updates:

Hooker to Bristol?

The Rugby Paper, in a recent article, speculated that Wasps hooker Tom Cruse, who was so instrumental in creating the match winning try against Bristol Bears last week, could be heading to Ashton Gate next season.

Cruse has been with the club since joining from London Irish in 2016. He has gone on to make 74 appearances for the Black and Golds scoring 11 tries - including two this season.

With Tommy Taylor, Ashley Johnson and Gaby Oghre among the senior options and Alfie Barbeary the next cab off the rank, some people are suggesting it will be Cruse who makes way this summer.

But CoventryLive’s understanding is that Cruse is going nowhere. He signed a new deal as recently as March last year which will likely bind him to the club until, at least, the end of the 2020/21 season.

If Barbeary is promoted from the Academy into the senior set-up, it would appear Wasps will be, perhaps, too heavily stocked in the hooker department, but it will not be Cruse who leaves to balance things out.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
Nelly,

I agree I expect Wilson to be promoted to replace Reider, for example. And maybe Cameron Anderson is round the corner to be promoted to centres. I'd also prefer Spink to get some game time.

Simultaneously I'd like to sign experience if our experience is leaving. If Gopperth is leaving and we sign Loz, our young centres can learn from them. Same can be said if we sign Grigg.

Chunky,

So if it's not cruse..... Who would leave? It's a difficult one.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »

Chunky,

So if it's not cruse..... Who would leave? It's a difficult one.

Not sure any of them need to leave as I wouldn't include Ashley in the list of hookers anymore, except in an emergency, as he hasn't featured there very much. I don't think it's unreasonable to have TT, Cruse, Ogrhe and Barbeary as hooking options with Ashley as mainly a back row option so in effect Barbeary replaces Rieder?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »
Taylor signed last season too. Would seem unlikely to be only a season contract, but not impossible (same is true of Cruse of course). AJ did as well.

AJ to backrow again, leaves Cruse, Taylor, Oghre and Barbeary, which isn't ridiculous. Especially if Barbeary is on loan.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
Regarding Grigg,

Speaking to a Glasgow fan who described Grigg as "a beloved player and our most consistent pick at 13 for 3 seasons straight". Still curious we're signing him at 12.

Perhaps we'd sign him as Gopperth replacement and Loz for Sopoaga replacement? Then they'd compete against eachother and Sam Spink for 12 shirt. Purely speculation here.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2020, 01:24:39 PM »
Re Sopoaga. I'm assuming Wasps will not be looking to take up the 3rd year option? (I've wished the bloke the best since he's started but he just isn't performing as well as he needs to to be the 1st choice 10 every week). So given that I wonder if we'll see him play again this season? Dai has form for not picking people who he knows are leaving unless their form has been really good....

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2020, 01:36:52 PM »
BaldPaul,

Agreed.