Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Morning after thoughts on the Bristol game  (Read 4996 times)

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Morning after thoughts on the Bristol game
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
See I don't have a problem with that assessment WWW. Saying Booj doesn't look likely to make International standard and excel like those around him who have achieved that level is one thing, it was purely the more extreme end of the criticism where his ability to perform at Prem level was questioned.

I would hope with Fekitoa playing as he did on Friday night, i.e. with an All Black outside him playing like one, and with Umaga having a very good game on the other side it can only raise Booj's game up. If everyone else playing like they've never seen a rugby ball before let alone passed or caught one it's hard to blame 1 guy for the L.

Glad others agree. Like you say, a few Ws and things won't seem half as bad.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
Having now watched the full match (tough day at work today, honest) I'm not sure I watched the same game as some others.

Yes, Booj got stripped of the ball inside our 22, but to say it lead to Piatau's try is pushing things a little. Umaga rushing out of the line and totally missing the tackle was how CP ran straight in. Had he made the tackle and pushed Bears back, with the onrushing 2nd tackler to jackle the ball who knows???

You mean the try where Fekitoa missed the tackle on CP? Not Umaga.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
I think the Booj debate depends on what sort of 12 you want. He'll run hard and by and large make his tackles. He's no wizard in terms of distribution or dictating the game. But he's a decent 12. And as has been discussed on here before there aren't a surplus of great 12's around.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
I think the Booj debate depends on what sort of 12 you want. He'll run hard and by and large make his tackles. He's no wizard in terms of distribution or dictating the game. But he's a decent 12. And as has been discussed on here before there aren't a surplus of great 12's around.

He's kinda my sort of 12......I like the direct at 12 and artistic at 13

None the less, he was dropped in it rather last season when we'd have expected a measured entry to the team as Jimmy was injured and he was outside a brand new 10 too.

I'm taking the longer view as I think we will see a better player as we go, so long as last season wasn't "terminal" for confidence or form!

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »
You mean the try where Fekitoa missed the tackle on CP? Not Umaga.

You're right, just watched it again.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 12:31:44 PM »
MlB isn't great, but he isn't poor either.

As a team hoping to be top4, I don't feel he should be our front line 12, but I certainly don't have a problem with him as backup 2nd/3rd choice.

Arguably, Jimmy is our first choice 12, so Booj is the backup who has had to play more often than not.

That being said, we've had some good performances, and a great result with Umaga --> Booj --> Fekitoa.
As such, now is not really the time to change things.
If performances and results are improving, then that suggests we're becoming more than the sum of our parts - i.e. they're becoming a team.
While that upward trend continues, we should stick with them

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 03:58:54 PM »
I like Booj. He's a championship player thrown in at the deep end and developing into a solid premiership squad player. Every squad (with one exception) needs good solid players to balance the handful of superstars that can be afforded within the salary cap. My guess is Booj's salary reflects his status and whatever we save on him we can use to retain Jacob, Jack etc. He's good value for money.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:04:45 PM by Marlow Nick »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
I like Booj. He's a championship player thrown in at the deep end and developing into a solid premiership squad player. Every squad (with one exception) needs good solid players to balance the handful of superstars that can be afforded within the salary cap. My guess is Booj's salary reflects his status and whatever we save on him we can use to retain Jacob, Jack etc. He's good value for money.

A sensible post - totally agree.
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
Booj was rather dropped in it last season when we had injuries & he coped pretty well. I doubt either he or Dai expected him to play so much.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »
Booj was rather dropped in it last season when we had injuries & he coped pretty well. I doubt either he or Dai expected him to play so much.

Agree, 100%, couldn't have had a harder intro to the Prem, really!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 06:10:29 PM »
Playing devils advocate here, a reminder that he is 30 in 6 months, not much developing left to do, so hope he makes the most of his opportunities.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
I think I've said this elsewhere, but I think our back line needs a non-flashy player like Booj to glue it together. When we have slow ball we need a bigger guy to crash it up, and his defence is getting a lot better as well, so he helps hold us together there. He also distributes pretty well and makes breaks. Basically, I see him like Billy Twelvetrees (and I mean that as a compliment) and with a fast, outside-break making 13 we need someone like that inside.

We can't have everything, and certainly not superstars in every position, so I'm very happy with Booj starting with Fekitoa in the centers right now.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2020, 10:28:40 PM »
That makes two centres who have the strength to bash through their opponents. Having two is an advantage.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 11:09:36 PM »
Booj gets a lot of bad press.  Sure there are errors.  He's not the finished article.  I do like much of what he does get right, like the pass that put Fekitoa in the hole for his try at Bristol.