Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sarries fine distributed among the other 11 Prem clubs  (Read 4223 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sarries fine distributed among the other 11 Prem clubs
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 02:48:35 PM »

Exactly.
It can only mean that they're currently not legal if the squad remains together until the end of the season.

In essence, until the end of the season the club haven't paid the salaries so can't be over the cap.

In theory, they can play for 3-4 months with their full squad, then if they can offload some, or reduce their contracts mid season, then they'll be compliant by the end of the year.

I'll be interested to see what changes they make that he's referring to.

Yes - I hadn't thought about the difference in committed expenditure and contracted future expenditure.......

Its all rather sad that it isn't/hasn't been sorted, publicly. The whole point of the cap is to make Prem Rugby as competitive and attractive as possible and I've started to lose interest outside of Wasps, of course!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 02:51:38 PM »

Exactly.
It can only mean that they're currently not legal if the squad remains together until the end of the season.

In essence, until the end of the season the club haven't paid the salaries so can't be over the cap.

In theory, they can play for 3-4 months with their full squad, then if they can offload some, or reduce their contracts mid season, then they'll be compliant by the end of the year.

Yes - I hadn't thought about the difference in committed expenditure and contracted future expenditure.......

Its all rather sad that it isn't/hasn't been sorted, publicly. The whole point of the cap is to make Prem Rugby as competitive and attractive as possible and I've started to lose interest outside of Wasps, of course!

If this is the case then they are fielding an illegally assembled squad to mitigate the consequences of their own cheating.

At best this goes against the spirit of the rules.  Not that that seems to be a problem for them.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
"We will take action to underpin our promise very soon"

Ha I noticed this,  an ungenerous reading would certainly interpret this as meaning they are not currently under the cap but will be fixing this soon...

So should they be playing? Or should they only be playing under another points deduction and fine?

Exactly.

When this all kicked off it was Feb/March last year.. by that time the players leaving would have already known and the players staying on would have had their contracts signed.. some of them increased before Sarries even knew they were going to be pinged. All their current squad members would have had their contracts signed way before knowing what was about to unfold.

I doubt any player would take a mid-season (this season) paycut just to help their employer out .. its the employer's fault not the employee.. despite the employee perhaps knowing what was going on. Sarries can't force a player to leave mid-season either.

Sarries have let players go (retired) at the end of last season but by default their salaries wouldn't be that high as they were probably signed 2 or 3 yrs ago, but Sarries obviously signed new stock over the summer as well.. again.. probably in March and April.. well before they knew any sh!t was going to stick.

The interesting player for me is Liam Williams. He's one of the very few high profile players to leave at the peak of their earning potential and if the rumours are to be believed.. he asked to be released early.

Do we have our first potential "inside" man who's prepared to speak out? Even if he was asked to sign a NDA.. Employment Law trumps NDA's... one is criminal the other civil

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
So Sarries have Openly admitted that they have cheated because other clubs have. They have also openly admitted that they are carrying on cheating as they will soon sort this out, therefore not sorted out yet. Well at least an apology

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 06:05:43 PM »
A few things people have said recently have made me wonder if a deal has been done behind the scenes to force the cheats to break up their squad.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them let a number of players go, and then to find out that ringfencing had been brought in. And that we dont ever hear any more about it openly.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 10:09:48 AM »
Stand out quote for me is this one:

“In the past we did not support the salary cap on the basis that it was not being rigorously applied but clearly times have changed, it is being rigorously applied and helps towards the strength of the Premiership.”

Or to put it another way "We were always going to continue to cheat for as long as we felt we could get away with it.   Now we've been caught we're going to stop."

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 10:37:00 AM »
Stand out quote for me is this one:

“In the past we did not support the salary cap on the basis that it was not being rigorously applied but clearly times have changed, it is being rigorously applied and helps towards the strength of the Premiership.”

Or to put it another way "We were always going to continue to cheat for as long as we felt we could get away with it.   Now we've been caught we're going to claim to stop."

Fixed that for you.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 02:12:57 PM »
Radio5L reporting that Exeter have donated their share to their charity foundation.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »
Yep.  There's a statement on their website.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »
Bit worrying that Edward Griffiths looks like the Tefal man from the adverts