Always a Wasp

Author Topic: FYI:- Alex Rieder to host Blue Monday at Ricoh Arena.  (Read 2053 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
FYI:- Alex Rieder to host Blue Monday at Ricoh Arena.
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:14:33 AM »
Alex Rieder, who made 32 appearances for Wasps before retiring with a serious knee injury in December 2019, will be giving a talk on building resilience and adopting a positive mindset at Ricoh Arena at 1.30pm on Monday 20 January.

Full details from Wasps' Offy:

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/alex-rieder-to-host-blue-monday-at-ricoh-arena/?fbclid=IwAR103su-H1WDM1PGpFHPHed49IG-GYMUti2z8cDW38D0j-DYIBqa61KfAkE

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: FYI:- Alex Rieder to host Blue Monday at Ricoh Arena.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:54 AM »
Good to see Alex is already finding a new challenge and goal in his life drawing on his own expereinces.

From the article

"The day ‘Blue Monday’ was devised in 2004 by psychologist Cliff Arnall, who, by taking into account a range of circumstances, such as the first credit card bill of the year after Christmas, failed New Year resolutions and the cold, dark weather, identified the third Monday of January as a time when people are most likely to feel in a low mood."

I've never really thought about this but the Boomtown Rats wrote a song about a true event that almost confirms this

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:25:48 AM »
Good to see Alex is already finding a new challenge and goal in his life drawing on his own expereinces.

From the article

"The day ‘Blue Monday’ was devised in 2004 by psychologist Cliff Arnall, who, by taking into account a range of circumstances, such as the first credit card bill of the year after Christmas, failed New Year resolutions and the cold, dark weather, identified the third Monday of January as a time when people are most likely to feel in a low mood."

I've never really thought about this but the Boomtown Rats wrote a song about a true event that almost confirms this

I think song was based on something from the 5th Monday, at least we don't get one of those this year. Great to see Alex getting along.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

Not sure it was established as a 'blue Monday' influenced event, but it was a January date.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:57:55 PM by Gaz »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:03:27 PM »

Not sure it was established as a 'blue Monday' influenced event, but it was a January date.

not sure if you got the url correct

I can't work out if 29th Jan 1979 was actually Monday but the fact her reply when asked why she killed so many people.. "I just don't like mondays" implies that day was a Monday..

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:07:37 PM »
It was the 5th Monday in January 1979

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »
Yeah I am implying that someone saying 'I don't like Mondays' and shooting up a school is a bit more than a case of the Monday blues.

Also being careful not to trivialise any kind of genuine depression, but those who feel a bit low because it is a Monday, or a specific post Christmas Monday are perhaps on a different level to depression and whatever afflicted the woman who shot the school children.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »
The very term Blue Monday was thought up by a marketing company, its a long way form being scientific! so using it kind of trivialises people who really do suffer from depression.

Using the term may not have been that wise, but its better to be doing something, than pretending problems don't exist.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 09:28:22 AM »
The very term Blue Monday was thought up by a marketing company, its a long way form being scientific! so using it kind of trivialises people who really do suffer from depression.

Using the term may not have been that wise, but its better to be doing something, than pretending problems don't exist.

I understand where you are coming from - but I'm more with your second line - it is better to do something - the pub mats currently around "ask twice" are good. My own experience (not really bad, but quite a shock after getting to age 54 ok...) was that I really ought to have looked for help much sooner. I was looking to treat the symptoms (as I experienced them) of chronic insomnia when in reality, I needed support for stress and the resulting depression. Which was made worse by not sleeping of course!

Men especially are notoriously poor (I was) at asking for help - and just meeting with others would have made a huge difference to me.