Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 6162 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »
Any readers out here summarise the Robson article i see on the front page...something about 9 for England.
For me he is nowhere near the equation so be good to hear what he thinks.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »
No disrespect to the user to created this thread, but my hopes were built up for an interesting rumour. And yet it's an editor attempting to build up Robson is laughable. On current form Wolstenholme is more worthy of England 9 shirt.

Disappointed

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »
+1 on Wooly.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:02:51 PM »
Yeah sorry about that. From what i see elsewhere, nothing for us, just some Bath / Tigers murmurs.
Wooly for me too..

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 08:01:23 PM »
Dobby is definitely getting closer to the Dobby of old. Will agree that Wusty is exceeding expectations by far but Dobby will come back to the fore. He had half a year out and had to come back as the senior player in a failing squad. Now our form is turning round, he’s showing glimpses of improvement.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 08:07:18 PM »
I just wished we would remove box kicks from his available options. Especially the 'let me build cover to do this' for 5 minutes ones. It simply hands possession to the oppo team.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
I just wished we would remove box kicks from his available options. Especially the 'let me build cover to do this' for 5 minutes ones. It simply hands possession to the oppo team.

Totally agree with this - if I can see it coming so can any team.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 09:46:13 PM »
Dobby is definitely getting closer to the Dobby of old. Will agree that Wusty is exceeding expectations by far but Dobby will come back to the fore. He had half a year out and had to come back as the senior player in a failing squad. Now our form is turning round, he’s showing glimpses of improvement.
Sorry but that is no excuse for shit decision making, slow ball and terrible box kicks. Im a fan but saying it as it is.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
Slow ball I see as being a lack of fitness/sharpness and maybe confidence. If you don’t need to think about zipping the ball from a ruck to your 10, the ball is going to come quicker.

Box kicks- wasps have been guilty too often of playing in the wrong areas and I think it’s a  tactical decision to clear more often. They were better last game but I think they haven’t been up to his usual standard and put kick chase is often abysmal. With those areas being improved, I can see it becoming much more effective

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 11:30:05 PM »
I think we saw yesterday, the speed and instinctiveness of Wolstenhome. He and Jacob could make things really exciting for us.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 08:53:38 AM »
Slow ball I see as being a lack of fitness/sharpness and maybe confidence. If you don’t need to think about zipping the ball from a ruck to your 10, the ball is going to come quicker.

People forget that a 9 is continually running from one side of the pitch to the other following the ball from ruck to ruck, they also have to corner flag as cover behind the backs when defending.

Robson's lack of accuracy when kicking or decision making maybe down to him being not totally fit still (or carrying an injury that he's not told staff about).

Has the EPS been announced yet? I thought it was this week? I don't think he's anywhere near being part of the EPS.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:14 AM »
Guarantee the next time we don't box kick, try and run it out or play too much from between our 22m and 10m lines and cough up possession and concede, there'll be a chorus of "why are we forcing it and being so risky?"

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 09:12:32 AM »
On the back page of TRP was a Pat Lam interview saying he would like a 5 second rule to ensure the ball is played when it becomes visible, to prevent the elongation of the ruck to allow "safe" box kicks.

I didn't manage to see all the Saturday mtach, but what I did see was young Wolstenhome(?) getting the ball out quickly and more of the backs running onto the ball rather than standing still to receive it. More like 3 seasons ago.

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »
There already is one. Law 15.17 when the ball becomes playable and the ref calls use it you have 5 secs, otherwise a scrum is awarded. Just no ref will ever blow up for it. Just like no ref will blow for players going off their feet at the ruck.  Something which did actually happen on Saturday much to my surprise!

Edit: here is the actual wording of the law
 'When the ball has been clearly won by a team at the ruck, and is available to be played, the referee calls “use it”, after which the ball must be played away from the ruck within five seconds. Sanction: Scrum.'
Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:04 AM »
England 9's - Spencer and Heinz.  No-one else in it at the moment.  Heinz will be part of the transition years but won't be there for the next RWC someone like Vellacott will be in place by then.
The older I get the faster I was....