Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 6163 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 09:46:49 AM »
The "use it" law has been around for seasons but not once have I ever seen it applied. Yet again World Rugby create a new rule trying to solve another one that isn't being applied.

Most forwards at the back of a ruck.. creating the "caterpillar" to give the 9 more space and time aren't bound properly. Putting your hand on the forward infront isn't being bound therefore refs should indicate that the ball is technically out. Applying that rule would eventually force the 9's to play the ball a lot quicker

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »
To be fair to Dan he didn’t just have to deal with the kind of rugby injury that is (unfortunately expected as) part and parcel of the game. He was seriously ill, with not just a potentially career ending condition, but for a while there was a fear it might be life threatening. He was off all training for a long time, not just contact but fitness training too. On top of that there was the crushing disappointment of missing out on his chance to establishing himself as a first choice England 9. Then when he returns to Wasps, he’s having to service a squad that is performing well below par.

He’s not International standard right now, but I think the guy deserves a bit of credit. I bet he’s back on the England radar maybe as soon as next season.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 10:30:25 AM »
Actually I think that I agree with that. It is far to easy on a match day and its aftermath to forget he thought the worst when seeing the vet consultants and the time both physical and mental getting over his illness.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
Actually I think that I agree with that. It is far to easy on a match day and its aftermath to forget he thought the worst when seeing the vet consultants and the time both physical and mental getting over his illness.

Would have been more appropriate if Wasps had sent him to hospital and not to Noel Fitzpatrick

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 01:08:17 PM »

Would have been more appropriate if Wasps had sent him to hospital and not to Noel Fitzpatrick

If you are indeed a physician and have taken offense then I apologise. If you are not then get a sense of humour. And yes I call my GP a vet and he laughs (possibly due to the popularity of said Veterinary Surgeon).

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »
I thought both comments were supposed to be light hearted. 

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
A lot of reference to an old condition (not injury) that he was deemed over some time ago and free to play. I question whether the injury can linked to poor decision making, poor box kicks or general malaise in play but others seem to think so, so thats fair enough.
That being the case, raises the question of whether he's a starter. Can't be both.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »
Changing from Dan I found the comments by Probyn on Farrell shoulder tackles and Pat Lam referencing the time scrum halves take at breakdown interesting.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »
Referees often call “Use it” but it’s at least 5 secs before the scrum half takes any notice.

Re DVTs, I was diagnosed with one in January last year after breaking my ankle. Said ankle remains a little swollen and may stay so for the rest of my life says my GP. I am of course rather older than Dan.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »
Referees often call “Use it” but it’s at least 5 secs before the scrum half takes any notice.

Fairly recently, I timed a ref in one of our games (can't remember which ref or which game) and the longest time it took the oppo scrummie to use it was 11 seconds after being told to 'use it'.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
Maybe the big screen operator should start a 5 second countdown on the screen, just to help the ref count of course.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »
I've only noticed one scrum half recently taking more than 5 seconds after a use it call in the last few games I've watched (I've got into the habit of counting). Most are actually quite good at taking the full 5, but not going over.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
I don't think the comparison is fair between Wolstenholme playing behind a totally dominant pack on Saturday and Robson is fair. Quite agree that Robson could be sharper (and should limit his box kicking) but I'm sure he'd have looked just as good against Agen.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
I agree that Robson would have looked just as sharp, but thats what I expect from him. I never expected Wolly to play that well, and linking this into the 'Excited' thread its really refreshing to see the young lads performing at a level that most people didn't expect them to perform at

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 09:21:46 PM »
Don't want to be a downer, but has anyone considered that we have a lot of talent at 9. How can we acommodate it when Vellacott returns, I mean he is a pretty great prospect.