Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Excited  (Read 1977 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Excited
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
I doubt I’m not the only one but Im really getting excited with the Youngsters coming through.

If the players keep on improving and we add only 2/3 players, we are in for some enjoyable seasons, if our coaching set up can keep up.

We do have some brilliant players who can help the youngsters, I’m looking for to they development

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Excited
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:59:55 PM »

I keep thinking back to when Quins and Saints were relegated.
From memory, they spent the time in the championship reshaping their squad. A number of older and high earners had to be trimmed and they promoted a lot of younger players from their academies.
They built a strong foundation and game style which they perfected in the championship and then they came back up as a stronger squad then they had been previously.
(At least, that's how I remember it)

I'm hoping that we're essentially doing the same, but (fingers crossed) without the relegation part.
Over the last could of seasons, a number of ageing senior players have left and we've replaced them with younger and academy players.
We're now going through the phase of developing a style and some character which is proving to be very difficult against extremely tough opposition, but I feel we're getting there.

Next season we could genuinely be challenging top 4/6 again with a very young squad hungry for success

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »
I hope we are going to offer these guys longer than a 2 year or these silly 2+1 year contracts. We need to give the squad a sense that they are safe to grow and work hard for the club. I know they look like they are all doing that already but it never helps anyone in life if your worrying about what's going to happen if you make a mistake.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
I think the club have been fairly open about the fact that they decided our overall direction wasn't sustainable a couple of seasons ago and decided to press the reset button.  That meant letting go of some of the superstars we had, and also anyone who wasn't buying into the new ethos.  I think some players managed to be both brilliant footballers, but also toxic to the club culture.  Those senior players who bought into the new way of working have stayed and their loyalty is paying massive dividends now.

That allowed us to bring a whole raft of youngsters in from the academy and start to acclimatise them to first team rugby.  I think the most impressive thing is that almost all of them have taken to it like ducks to water.

It's meant we were almost guaranteed to see a drop in results, but as we can see now things are slowly but surely starting to click and the new style squad is starting to play the way the old squad did a few years ago.  It's early days of course, but the fact that we can pretty much cover 1-10 from the youngest squad members, and a few in the back line as well shows how well this is working.  To be able to add in players like Chesty, Brooks, Launch,  Brad, Smashley and more into that mix shows we've got a hell of a squad that is only going to get better.

Our scrum is right up their with the best, our loose forwards are the best by far, our lineout seems to have switched from a liability to a position of real strength, and our back line is starting to really click.  Even our defence is looking better than it has in years.

So in short, I'm excited too.  I think Derek, the rest of the board, Dai, the senior coaches, and the Academy coaches have done an amazing job, and if what it takes is a couple of years out of the top level european competition to make it happen I'm ok with that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:45:08 PM by Vespula Vulgaris »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 07:14:32 PM »
Agree with this. It takes time to re-model but I think we're now seeing the benefits. There has also been some canny recruitment with the likes of Vailanu, Vellacott, Flament and Kibirige picked up and developing.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 07:54:34 PM »
What’s most exciting is our squad appears to be getting younger and younger- it’s not necessarily a team for the next year or 2 but definitely within 5

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »
Also with things happening around the league we might not get too many youngsters lured away by massive paychecks!