Always a Wasp

Author Topic: How Jeff Toomaga-Allen tackled his biggest issue to turnaround fortunes  (Read 3237 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How Jeff Toomaga-Allen tackled his biggest issue to turnaround fortunes
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »
Indeed. Lots of good options. Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Lima could play 12 as well.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 03:38:09 PM »
Must admit I did feel for Sopoaga when he was picked 10 again but was once again lining up in a back line that wasn't our first choice. Think we've got to forget the wages side of things - that's not his fault. We've got a very capable 10 or 15 with him in the squad and that has to be good.
I get what your saying here...but its the same backline that Jacob came on and did better with. For whatever reason it just wasn't working.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
Indeed. Lots of good options. Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Lima could play 12 as well.

Yeah - hadn't thought of that. I like the "Goode" style from FB a lot - but he's a better player than Goode! (Picked a better team for a start!)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 05:02:28 PM »
Must admit I did feel for Sopoaga when he was picked 10 again but was once again lining up in a back line that wasn't our first choice. Think we've got to forget the wages side of things - that's not his fault. We've got a very capable 10 or 15 with him in the squad and that has to be good.

I'm thinking that a starting XV with Jacob at 10, Jimmy or Ryan at 12 and Lima at 15 provides a backline with so many options, each used to playing 10/12 and providing the opposition with a bit of a problem in deciding who is leading a particular phase of play. I really like the look of Lima at 15 and having that extra playmaker, times 2, is very exciting. Especially with the pace and class at wing. And we have lots of cover!

Ever since Blackett came on board we've played with a lot of playmakers, and made wide use of them all. Cips changed that a bit, not because we didn't have playmakers, but because so much of the play was dictated by him (and why wouldn't you let him to be fair). Umaga strikes me more of a Cips like player, with the ball going through his hands a lot, and again, why not. In my basic view though, others still make a greater number of decisions than they did with Cips. That basic Blackett style of lots of decision makers capable of stepping in to 1st receiver is still very strong.

The benefit of this system is it allows a scrum half like Vellacott/Robson etc, to simply play faster, with instructions coming from the 1st receiver as to whether or not he wants it, and if not, it goes swiftly to the forwards. No need to pause, or confusion, if the 10 is on the floor.

Really enjoying our backline at the moment. No genuine top drawer superstars (maybe Umaga soon), but a fantastic balance, and plenty of options to slot in. Forward pack seems to be similar.

Our fixtures line up nicely too, for a regular a team, b team rotation.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 05:05:38 PM »
I get what your saying here...but its the same backline that Jacob came on and did better with. For whatever reason it just wasn't working.
Yes, there's no doubt we looked a different team when Umaga came on. His play is so natural and fearless. Lima looks like he's still checking himself at every pass and those milliseconds slow everything down. He also sits deeper. There's no doubt Umaga is first choice at the moment.