Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Congratulations Will Rowlands  (Read 5751 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Will Rowlands
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
Congrats to Will on the call up.  Makes the 6N period a bit trickier for Wasps now though if he isn't released back to us if and when the squad is trimmed.  Had wondered if we might keep Launch through at least some of the international period given where he appeared to be in the pecking order at the WC, but if Kruis is off to Japan, then presumably that makes him now ineligible for England selection and put Joe back firmly in the frame.

On the question of eligibility, I note this from the BBC article on the Wales squad with reference to Tompkins:
"The 24-year-old was part of the England Under-20s side that won the Junior World Championships in 2014 and has also played for England Saxons."
It always used to be the case that if you played for a country's designated 2nd team (this could be the 'A' team or U20 depending on individual countries' structures) then you were then tied in and ineligible to play for another country.  If Tompkins has represented England at both 'A' and U20 level, then how is he eligible to play for Wales?  I'm guessing the rules have changed.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 01:19:56 PM »
If Gatland's law is still in place then Pivac is really stretching the boundaries of interpretation.

The PRL clubs and Toulon are under no obligation to release their employees outside of the international window though.

PRL clubs only release their players for training camps etc because of the EPS agreement between PRL and the RFU.

Gatlands law allowed for new players outside of Wales to be picked, and for those on the same contract to be continued to be picked. That's how Francis kept getting to play.

And how YY continues to be eligible.

And on the matter of release, it's my understanding that the international window does not cover the entire 6N period, only the match weekends.  So Wales are obliged to release players back to clubs outside of Wales during the rest weeks in the 6N, whereas under the EPS agreement, England can retain the whole squad if they choose to.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »
Congrats to Will on the call up.  Makes the 6N period a bit trickier for Wasps now though if he isn't released back to us if and when the squad is trimmed.  Had wondered if we might keep Launch through at least some of the international period given where he appeared to be in the pecking order at the WC, but if Kruis is off to Japan, then presumably that makes him now ineligible for England selection and put Joe back firmly in the frame.

On the question of eligibility, I note this from the BBC article on the Wales squad with reference to Tompkins:
"The 24-year-old was part of the England Under-20s side that won the Junior World Championships in 2014 and has also played for England Saxons."
It always used to be the case that if you played for a country's designated 2nd team (this could be the 'A' team or U20 depending on individual countries' structures) then you were then tied in and ineligible to play for another country.  If Tompkins has represented England at both 'A' and U20 level, then how is he eligible to play for Wales?  I'm guessing the rules have changed.

A teams are only binding if they play the other countries nominated A team, and SA "A" were not the nominated A team of the SA at the time.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
A teams are only binding if they play the other countries nominated A team, and SA "A" were not the nominated A team of the SA at the time.

Ah yes, that makes some sense (as much as any World Rugby eligibility rule could be expected to make at least!)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 02:12:01 PM »
LRZ has just extended his contract at Gloucester though. I thought players could stay at the same club, but couldn't move on to another?

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 02:27:49 PM »
LRZ signed a new contract last week so it was just in time!
Francis extended his contract at Exeter last season (??) so doesn’t yet have to return to Wales. There are some ways around the rules - Exeter in this case - but you can’t drive a great big bus through the rules - Saracens in that case.
By the way, are they rules or laws 🤪

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 02:57:58 PM »
If Gatland's law is still in place then Pivac is really stretching the boundaries of interpretation.

The PRL clubs and Toulon are under no obligation to release their employees outside of the international window though.

PRL clubs only release their players for training camps etc because of the EPS agreement between PRL and the RFU.

Gatlands law allowed for new players outside of Wales to be picked, and for those on the same contract to be continued to be picked. That's how Francis kept getting to play.

I'm trying to get my head around this.. so why did Josh Adams move? He could have asked for an extension on the same terms and still played for Wales without leaving Wuss

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 05:03:31 PM »
I think the WRU ideally want them all to be playing in Wales, but with a small pool to start with they can ill afford to ignore promising, emerging, Welsh qualified players in other leagues, mostly the English Premiership.  So new players can be picked, but once they begin to figure more prominently they'll be under pressure, but no obligation under Gatland's law to move to one of the Welsh sides.

Equally, they fear losing their established, big stars if they deny them the earning and trophy winning opportunities that a move to England or France would offer.  Hence, 60+ caps and you've earned that opportunity.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »

I'm trying to get my head around this.. so why did Josh Adams move? He could have asked for an extension on the same terms and still played for Wales without leaving Wuss

Maybe he had a better offer? It can't be a new contract on the same terms, think it has to be an old contract, so something like a +1 on a 2+1 contract maybe?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »
Interesting comments from Pivac on Will, link below, tried to get him to Scarlets twice in Stephen Jones recommendation.

https://twitter.com/WalesRugby/status/1217506739752292352?s=19

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
Interesting comments from Pivac on Will, link below, tried to get him to Scarlets twice in Stephen Jones recommendation.

https://twitter.com/WalesRugby/status/1217506739752292352?s=19

You mean wasps kept hold of a player they wanted to keep?

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 06:20:46 PM »
Congratulations to Will Rowlands. His selection is well deserved if you ask me.

This experience will only develop his experience and all round game. The downside is his availability during the 6N will be limited and he just might be tempted to move to Wales. Wayne Pivac has mentioned he tried, on two occasions, to sign him for Scarlets.

Many times he was been excellent and won MoM awards but some Waspies still don’t think he is that good. Lol.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »
Lovely news for Will.

Pleased for him.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 09:05:50 AM »
Great stuff to see Will recognised but I had no idea he was eligible for Wales!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
Very good news for Will - will also help improve the player training with the Wales squad

Just looking at the Wales squad - if they can secure ball.....they have the backs in terms of skill and pace to win any 6Ns game. The more strong teams the better for the 6N