Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Angry clubs feel that the whole web has yet to be exposed at Saracens - Times #2  (Read 4593 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

I'm struggling to know where I stand on this - in particular how I would feel about any of their players coming to us.

It seems quite clear that other premiership players knew that Saracen's guys were getting more than just base salaries
It would also stand to reason that the Saracen's players themselves knew they were onto a good thing.

However, did they know the co-investments were actually wrong?

Uncle Nige obvious spun the line publicly that investments aren't salaries because the value can go up and down, and he's probably told the player that it's all above board and that the PRL know all about it.... could even say that other clubs do the same for the right players.
It's taken some pretty hefty legal experts to make a decision on that.
I can certainly envisage a scenario where players are given this advice by Nigel and even if they refer it to their own counsel, it's grey enough that it's probably seen as being ok on the face of it.

So while the player(s) will be well aware that they're on a good deal, do they really know the full implications of it - I suspect not.

Obviously we only know of a handful of players with the co-investments (Vunipolas, Farrell, Wigglesworth - i can't remember any others)
So the majority of the squad either have their co-investments hidden better, or it's just a few players that have them.
If it's just a few of them, are there any deals in place for the rest of the squad (i.e. Lozowski for example)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
More likely it is 'play well enough and it is jam tomorrow'

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Actually we are far from skint.  We haven't spent as much as we could, that is a fact.  But I can promise you that if the right players are available for the right price then the money is there.  The decision not to pay for more, more expensive signings was purposefully taken for a number of reasons.  One of which was the change in direction of the club - focussing on the new group of players coming through the academy.  The fortunate side effect of this is that we are now in a position where we have money to spend, and there seems to be a number of very skilled players about to hit the open market.

I think we'll see a bit of a reversal in player salary levels as it will be a buyers market, but we haven't seen the end of this yet (as I feel I have been saying for some time now).

If there are players who are willing to commit to the club, and become part of the Wasps family then I'd welcome them.  If they simply want to save themselves and come with the crappy arrogance of Sarries then they can go elsewhere.

VV glad to hear this. My fear was that with a weakened squad we would struggle to climb back up into the Champions Cup places consistently (given more clubs apparently spending up to the cap), so without investment in the squad with high calibre signings (not slating our crop of youngsters), we wouldn't get there especially if we didn't have the ability to spend.

So with us seemingly having that, it's a relief. I wouldn't want to start hoovering up the Sarries cast-offs, but would certainly take a look at a specific few of them... after all, they are quality players.

Edited to mend broken quote tags - VV
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:08:06 PM by Vespula Vulgaris »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I agree with VV.
The players must have known what was going on to avoid the salary cap limits so they are complicit. Will they learn from that? Players in other teams must have had an inclination of what was going on too so there will be an issue about really being welcoming to new team-mates.
I caught the BBC Rugby Union podcast immediately after the initial news broke.  Danny Care knew exactly what was going on and pretty much said so.  I don't remember who the other player was, but they agreed.  If other teams' players knew, so did the Sarries players. There could be some interesting challenges for some coaches next season.

Do you have a url link for this?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
So, just the £2m to reduce salaries by before the end of the season according to Slot.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Earlier than that, I think. Seems they were given until 31 January

Heathen

• View Profile
Earlier than that, I think. Seems they were given until 31 January

Correct. End of Jan.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
I agree with VV.
The players must have known what was going on to avoid the salary cap limits so they are complicit. Will they learn from that? Players in other teams must have had an inclination of what was going on too so there will be an issue about really being welcoming to new team-mates.
I caught the BBC Rugby Union podcast immediately after the initial news broke.  Danny Care knew exactly what was going on and pretty much said so.  I don't remember who the other player was, but they agreed.  If other teams' players knew, so did the Sarries players. There could be some interesting challenges for some coaches next season.
Do you have a url link for this?
All the episodes from this period seem to have been taken down.  There are peculiar gaps in the schedule of available downloads.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Am I the only one that think there is enough players in the world to choose from allowing us not to have Sorries players.
I can't stand em, sanctimonious arse slapping twats, want them no where near my club.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Am I the only one that think there is enough players in the world to choose from allowing us not to have Sorries players.
I can't stand em, sanctimonious arse slapping twats, want them no where near my club.

It may not be a very good and attitude, but I agree 100%. And especially is players not even at the club like Danny Care knew that it wasn't all "proper" then my sympathy for the players - certainly those from their senior "leadership team"  - is limited.

Again - its personal - but I wouldn't want Farrell within 100m of Coventry.