Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bordeaux Match Thread  (Read 2573 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Bordeaux Match Thread
« on: January 18, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
Didn't see a match thread...

We look.... Frustrating. Good at times, shakey at other times.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bordeaux Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:11 PM »
Dire beyond belief.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
Agreed  aside from Willis, diabolical

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
Willis was great, again. How depressing to play your socks off while those around you just cough up the ball at the first sign of contact.

Sting

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 08:12:56 PM »
Dai and Blackett both blaming the players. I am sorry but they themselves need to take a long hard look in the.mirror.
They choose the match gameplan. They set out the style of play and they choose the matchday team. If they cannot see their own part in this mess then they should go.
Too much of todays team pick was based on reputation/loyalty not on form. This was always a risk. Miller struggled, Searle mind on next club, Lima always a risk.as was  jta. Launchbury is a hero but still not fit so he os slow and injury prone, as captain he failed to spark rhe team. Robson continues to play the ref instead of getting on with the game. His decision to tap and go and his 1st phase kick 20m out was poor. But the coaches continue to start him!
With the relegation of sarries we have been given a life line. Management needs use it to refresh coaching team and to get those very highly paid players performing or replaced.
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/dai-young-wasps-reaction-bordeaux-17592167
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:15:00 PM by Sting »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 08:41:37 PM »
Let's get some context. This was a dead rubber to get some game time for a few prior to the Wuss game - nothing more. Willis was fantastic as ever and defensively we were fine. Every time we went forward we made errors which killed us. Line out poor again but scrum ok. Bordeaux were just huge and defended well. We've simply got to make less basic mistakes.

Sting

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 09:14:18 PM »
Let's get some context. This was a dead rubber to get some game time for a few prior to the Wuss game - nothing more. Willis was fantastic as ever and defensively we were fine. Every time we went forward we made errors which killed us. Line out poor again but scrum ok. Bordeaux were just huge and defended well. We've simply got to make less basic mistakes.
Sorry Shugs. We scored a big fat zero points in 80 mins of rugby!
This cannot just be shugged off (pun intended) as need to make less bzsic mistakes.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
Take the point Sting and our attack was lacking ideas, battering against a wall of players rather than using the space behind. Nevertheless it still felt like a dead rubber to me and watching I found myself more interested in not getting injuries than not getting points.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »
At one point I thought the team was running a sweepstake to see who could spill the ball when running into contact the most times.

We butchered so many chances by not retaining the ball it was unbelievable.

Then of course there was the "lets give them a second try". I was going to say a schoolboy error, but if I had done that when at school I'd have never lived it down.

At first I thought Robson had decided to follow the lead of last weekend by fast ball from the ruck, but as the match went on he reverted to building up sentries, and then box kicking.

All in all a match to, hopefully, forget

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »
My thoughts when I saw the team was that this was an opportunity for our most experienced 9 and 10 to prove they deserved the shirts more than our youngsters who appear to be pole position.

What I saw was more of the reason why Wolsty/Porter and Umaga deserv the shirts.  That and more knocking the ball forwards than at a volleyball tournament.

It didn't seem as if anyone really cared, with the possible exceptions of Jack, Nemo, and Launch.

I am no more worried than I was before the game. 
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here