Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Wuss  (Read 5345 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up for Wuss
« on: January 24, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »
15 Matteo Minozzi, 14 Zach Kibirige, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Jimmy Gopperth, 11 Josh Bassett, 10 Billy Searle, 9 Dan Robson (cc); 1 Simon McIntyre, 2 Tommy Taylor, 3 Kieran Brookes, 4 Will Rowlands, 5 James Gaskell, 6 Jack Willis, 7 Thomas Young (cc), 8 Nizaam Carr

Replacements: 16 Gabriel Oghre, 17 Ben Harris, 18 Biyi Alo, 19 Thibaud Flament, 20 Sione Vailanu, 21 Sam Wolstenholme, 22 Michael Le Bourgeois, 23 Rob Miller

Jack Willis will make his 50th appearance for Wasps in Saturday’s Round 9 Gallagher Premiership clash with Worcester Warriors at Sixways Stadium (kick-off 3pm).

The flanker is one of six changes to the starting line-up as he links up with Nizaam Carr and co-captain Thomas Young in the back-row – the latter who returns after illness.

James Gaskell has also recovered from a shoulder injury to start in the second-row for the first time since November alongside recent Wales call-up Will Rowlands. Joe Launchbury is unavailable due to England duty.

In the front-row, tighthead-prop Kieran Brookes has overcome illness to join Simon McIntyre and Tommy Taylor.

Dan Robson co-captains the side from scrum-half while Billy Searle starts at stand-off in the absence of Jacob Umaga on England duty and Lima Sopoaga who has a calf knock.

Jimmy Gopperth is joined by Juan de Jongh in the centres after the Springbok has shaken off an ankle injury to make his first Premiership start since November, while Malakai Fekitoa misses out with a knee injury.

Josh Bassett makes his first Premiership start since October in a back-three that includes Zach Kibirige and Italy international Matteo Minozzi, with Marcus Watson absent with an Achilles strain.

In the replacements, Ben Harris returns after a shoulder injury while Biyi Alo could be in line for his first Premiership appearance of the season for the Club, with Jeff Toomaga-Allen missing out through concussion.

Sam Wolstenholme is also recalled to the replacements as Wasps look to continue their recent attacking threat in the league which has seen them pick up try-bonus points in each of the last two outings.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “If you look at the next block of games, it will have a big determining factor on where you end up at the end of the season.

“Going to Worcester is never an easy game. They are a quality team who have built over the last couple of seasons.

“This is probably the best team they’ve had for a couple of seasons and they’ve shown that this season with some of their performances and results.

“We know we’re going to have to be somewhere near our best and it’s something we’re looking forward to as we want to put the wrongs of last week right. We want to start climbing the table.”
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:02:35 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Wuss
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 12:03:20 PM »
Given Wasps two best players of the last few months, Umaga & Fekitoa are missing, I don't feel very confident, but you never know, it can't be as bad as last week....can it?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 12:06:02 PM »
The backs lineup is pretty weak, IMHO.

Forwards, fine.

So, IF we are to win this, expect most of the tries from the pack.

Not at all confident.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 12:09:47 PM »
I appreciate hindsight is a wonderful thing but the decision to play the all black trio of JTA, Lima and Fekitoa in last weeks dead rubber now looks like a dreadful one.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »
Good looking pack, but even if they secure good, quick ball I'm not sure whether that back line will do a lot with it.

Optimistically, if Robson begins to rediscover some form, Searle has a stormer out to impress his new employers, and Bassett plays like a man with a point to prove having fallen out of favour, then things could fall nicely into place as that's a hard-working, defensively solid pair of centres and plenty of gas with Minozzi and Kibirige.  A lot of "ifs" in there though.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
Is Cruse injured?

Is this one if those 50/50 development selections, especially with rumours that Cruse may be off.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
DGP,

Yeahhh we keep having all those ifs not go our way, I hope that changes this weekend

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
Is Cruse injured?

Is this one if those 50/50 development selections, especially with rumours that Cruse may be off.

Last update reported "Hooker Tom Cruse is out for up to two weeks after hurting his knee away in Agen"

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 12:34:16 PM »
I appreciate hindsight is a wonderful thing but the decision to play the all black trio of JTA, Lima and Fekitoa in last weeks dead rubber now looks like a dreadful one.

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20 vision. Playing Ben Vellacott springs to mind. But, as a rule, players always prefer to play.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
And the oppo:

15 Jamie Shillcock
14 Perry Humphreys
13 Ollie Lawrence
12 Ashley Beck
11 Tom Howe
10 Duncan Weir
9 Michael Heaney
1 Ethan Waller
2 Matt Moulds (C)
3 Nick Schonert
4 Anton Bresler
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Marco Mama
7 Sam Lewis
8 Cornell du Preez

Replacements
16 Joe Taufete’e
17 Ryan Bower
18 Richard Palframan
19 GJ van Velze
20 Tom Dodd
21 Jono Kitto
22 Jono Lance
23 Francois Venter
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:46 PM »
Bobby Bridge's nine thoughts on the Wasps squad

1. Firstly, it’s great that Wasps have Will Rowlands and Matteo Minozzi available, it softens the blow of losing Joe Launchbury and Jacob Umaga

2. It’s really disappointing to see Malakai Fekitoa (knee) miss out. He’s been firing in the Premiership and Wasps will miss his physical presence in midfield

3. James Gaskell’s return is massive. We all know how key he is at lineout time. That combination with Will Rowlands is tried and trusted

4. Arguably this is only one player away from being Wasps’ strongest pack. Joe Launchbury makes most peoples’ team, then maybe Brad Shields. But otherwise, it’s full noise

5. Dai Young said in midweek that the relegation of Saracens would see him likely prioritise players who are staying at Wasps next season, over those who are leaving. But Lima Sopoaga’s calf injury and Umaga’s international absence combine to leave him with little choice to play Billy Searle against the club he’s joining this summer It’s his first Premiership start of the season. It’ll be fascinating to see how he goes

6. Jimmy Gopperth and Juan de Jongh in midfield is another experienced combination. It’s not the most heavyweight of back lines but Michael Le Bourgeois is a weapon that can be brought from the bench

7. I’m glad to see Biyi Alo among the replacements, he deserves the nod after impressing in Europe

8. Sam Wolstenhome is on the bench and I hope he gets his chance at Sixways. Equally, I’m hopeful Dan Robson can put last week’s Bordeaux match behind him and recreate the form that helped Wasps to seven points from their previous two Premiership games against Bristol Bears and Northampton Saints

9. I’m a big Gaby Oghre fan. He’s such a dynamic young hooker. He will rue the lineout malfunctions from the bench last week. I’m confident, when summoned from the bench at Sixways, he will right those wrongs
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
Bordeaux are top of the Top 14 for a reason, mainly for being massive from what I saw! Hopefully they have put the game behind them and can go out and enjoy rugby, no good being explosive but uptight.

Duncan Weir worries me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:46:35 PM by Brandnewtorugby »

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »
One ex-Wasp in the Worcester team in Tom Howe

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 02:01:57 PM »
I understand why Dai is playing him but would have loved to see Will Rowlands given the week off. Must have been a massive experience in Wales camp this week for him and returning there next week unscathed and with the possibility of a first cap is surely at the forefront of his mind, fingers crossed he gets through the game.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »
Forwards-wise, that's an international (or near) level front row and backrow. Second row is athletic and mobile - so we'll get ball and pressure their scrum/breakdown.

Backs - on their best form, Dan. Jimmy, De Jongh, Bassett and Minozzi would challenge for places in any Prem team, but the problem has seemed to be coordination and time on the ball.

I'd be more than happy with a dull forwards based game with kicking for territory and looking to pressure lineout and tackle area. I hope Jimmy shows leadership and Dan starts to look more like the player that probably could have gone to the RWC (illness aside)

If I was a betting man - and I'm not - I'd probably have Worcester by 10 to 15 points