Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Wuss  (Read 5347 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Wuss
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 03:16:02 PM »
If we are losing by 10-15 then we are in serious trouble. This type of game we should be winning, both teams have talent out so even on that score.
They are very competive in the forwards, especially at the breakdown, nullify that and keep the penalties out of range of Donkey Weir..we should win, although not by a canter.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 04:38:54 PM »
Weir is a bit of an underrated player to be honest. He can be very dangerous.

Not massively confident. And weirdly enough, now that there's nothing really riding on it, I'm a bit meh about games like this

TeflonTed

• Worcester Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »
Weir has had a late call up for Scotland, following Finn Russell getting a little over-excited...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/rugby/finn-russell-dropped-scotland-after-21346717

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
Good news for him and us, less so for you!

TeflonTed

• Worcester Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 05:37:17 PM »
Good news for him and us, less so for you!

Better news for us, I’ve just been told in the last few minutes that the Scotland squad call up is Sunday!!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 06:19:56 PM »

I'm surprised by some of the comments here regarding our back line.

We're basically 2 players short of first choice selections.
And one of those 2nd choice players is Juan de King, a South African international who has always been excellent for us.
People seem to think of him as a defensive centre, but he's often a key part of what we do well going forwards - when he plays at 13 (not so much at 12)

I'm personally not a massive fan of young Billy, although I accept that he's opportunities to excel have been limited. However, until about 2 months ago, there were a lot of calls for him to be 1st choice

It's ultimately not far short of the strongest back line we've got, and we're only 1 man down in the starting pack (admittedly a key man)

If we can't play well, then it's a sign of our overall strength rather than this particular team

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 07:26:49 PM »
I'm happy with JdJ, would slightly prefer Fekitoa, but not by much. Searle at worst will be an adequate pivot, at best could easily help us win this game.

I like the look of the pack.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »
I'm happy with JdJ, would slightly prefer Fekitoa, but not by much. Searle at worst will be an adequate pivot, at best could easily help us win this game.

I like the look of the pack.

Don't get me wrong, on his recent form, I'd pick Fekitoa. But JdJ at 13 has always been really good for us.

I feel that sometimes his performances at 12 affect how he is remembered at 13.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 08:36:02 PM »

I'm surprised by some of the comments here regarding our back line.

We're basically 2 players short of first choice selections.
And one of those 2nd choice players is Juan de King, a South African international who has always been excellent for us.
People seem to think of him as a defensive centre, but he's often a key part of what we do well going forwards - when he plays at 13 (not so much at 12)

I'm personally not a massive fan of young Billy, although I accept that he's opportunities to excel have been limited. However, until about 2 months ago, there were a lot of calls for him to be 1st choice

It's ultimately not far short of the strongest back line we've got, and we're only 1 man down in the starting pack (admittedly a key man)

If we can't play well, then it's a sign of our overall strength rather than this particular team

Problem is that first choice or not, too many of those backs are not showing anything like their previous form.

Agree 100% about JdJ.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 08:49:42 PM »
Bordeaux are top of the Top 14 for a reason, mainly for being massive from what I saw! Hopefully they have put the game behind them and can go out and enjoy rugby, no good being explosive but uptight.

Duncan Weir worries me.

We can forget the match against Bordeaux. They destroy almost every team they meet. The coach is a guru, able to tranform people. In a sense, this was normal to lose (OK, we should have lost with more points). It reminds me some laconic mails after an application for a job "the refusal doesn't question your skills". This is the same here. Worcester will play a very different kind of rugby.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 09:03:10 PM »
Whilst I hate that we were niled, in the first 20-30 minutes I felt we were going to win that, we just needed to stop dropping everything. We were doing really well in attack, and fairly solid in defence. Later part of the game was of course very poor, but even in perhaps the worst result for years, there were positive signs for me. Just need to catch the damn ball.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »
Agree about De Jongh. He's a great player who kept a Lion on the wing for Wasps. Searle I'm not so sure about but we've got more than enough talent on the field to beat Worcester. I don't see it as anything like a "pressure is now off" game. We're 9 points off fourth!

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 09:34:06 PM »
To me, the first try is not valid. Earlier in the action, there is a forward pass, later there is a 'screen' (how you say that in English? We call it 'écran' in French, when a player is between the ball holder and the defender). Then I share your thoughts, some action were really good, against the better, faster, stronger team. So I guess we can expect it to have a better end agains other teams. The final score, to me, doesn't reflects the match content at all.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 09:39:14 PM »
To me, the first try is not valid. Earlier in the action, there is a forward pass, later there is a 'screen' (how you say that in English? We call it 'écran' in French, when a player is between the ball holder and the defender). Then I share your thoughts, some action were really good, against the better, faster, stronger team. So I guess we can expect it to have a better end agains other teams. The final score, to me, doesn't reflects the match content at all.

Obstruction is when a player blocks a defender.

Wasps have frustrated me for some time, as we have seem to be on the edge of something very good, we just manage to cock it up.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 09:43:14 PM »
Damn, obstruction! This is highly logical. Hum now I ask myself why this is called 'écran' in France as obstruction also exist with the same meaning. Yes Wasps, I guess like any teams, are frustrating. But I was wondering to save more things from the match against Agen. OK they are not a great team, but I saw interesting movements.