Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wuss game  (Read 15050 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wuss game
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2020, 01:20:36 PM »
Quote from: Sting
His rumoured throwing weight around in training isn't.

First I've heard. Tell me more...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
I'd like to hear more too.

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »
Still not firing on all cylinders, but a win is a win for me, especially considering how this season started. A five pointer is even better.

Early in the second half we had the ball moving out toward the left wing and a three on one overlap, but De Jongh takes it into contact… these are the things we’ve got to sort out. A couple of seasons ago it was second nature to capitalise on those opportunities, now we seem to be trying to make hard work of it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:55:30 PM by Willie »

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
Quote from: Sting
Whoa lets not get carried away! Xillis work rate is fantastic, his crucial turnivers are brilliant. He is a fantastic talent to have on our squad. Hr still has much to learn. He was stripped of the ball in one carry and lost the ball in contact on more than one occasion. Leaders need yo earn or build respect from rheir team mates and i am not sure he has dine rhat yet. Umaga type hunility is whar he may need. His rumoured throwing weight around in training isn't.
I am sure in time he will get the England call. For now lets be thankful that we have him.

Is this a very weak substitution cipher, or are you typing in the dark?  ???

Also keen to hear the details of this rumour. I doubt there's a more well respected player in the club than Willis.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »
Depends what one means by throwing weight around - if things are wrong and higher standards are needed throwing one’s weight around is the right thing to do.  I am certain that LBND, Martin Johnson, Josh Lewsey and others threw their weight around when needed.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
He's certainly setting the standard on the pitch week in, week out. He's earned the right to be loud in training.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2020, 04:43:54 PM »
I have it on good authority that the atmosphere in the squad is massively improved this season as all the Divas have gone.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2020, 08:08:18 PM »
Yes, that's evident on the pitch as well in celebrations etc. This looks like a much more cohesive and bought in group. Willis always strikes me as someone who is 100% all the time, training or in real games. I imagine that's what this might boil down to. It's certainly not affecting morale though.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
A good side is made up of all different types of players & personalities. Whilst I'm happy that being humble works for Jacob, I'm equally aware that some other players who have worn the 10 shirt at wasps would NEVER be described as humble! (mentioning no names)
Personally I think wasps has enough nice guys, we need some fighters & a bit of arrogance & attitude doesn't go amiss in the right place & at the right time.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »
Slight change of direction - the Kilbridge/Robson try is shortlisted for try of the round.

It hurts to say so, but I preferred Danny Care's one for Quins

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »
Willis saves us with the turn over 3 meters out, was just about legal but have seen them not given. . That last bit of play opitimises Robson for me, he has no rugby IQ and if he was on the open market i wouldnt touch him with someone elses...could easily have lost us the game there..knob.

Willis you absolute madlad.... Was that a legal turnover!?

Don't care I'll take that

Just to point out that the final pen wasn't actually Willis winning the turnover (though his actions are what lead to Wuss being penalised), it was for Wuss going straight off their feet in the ruck. They'd just been warned about it, and with Willis going over the player who'd gone straight off, and getting on the ball, it clearly demonstrated that he'd been denied a legitimate chance to get on the ball. Far less of a 50/50 call than I'd originally thought.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2020, 10:43:55 AM »
Games online now.

Not really rags, maybe an inch.

Just checked this (easy enough to do since he came on so late and it was his first interaction). It was high from Gopps, MLB had the choice of either trying to take it at head height, with the defence on him (and in his ribs), or jump to try and take it into his chest. He shouldn't have knocked it on, but it was a long was from a perfect pass in the first place.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »
I have it on good authority that the atmosphere in the squad is massively improved this season as all the Divas have gone.

I've thought this too. Even though the team's performances have sometimes been lacking, there's been a far greater sense of "togetherness", at least to me as a spectator.

As for Willis, I think it's clear from my perspective as a spectator that is energy, desire and passion on the pitch is lifting people around him. If that means he acts like a Billy Big Bollocks in training it's a price I'm willing to pay for his performances on the pitch.

Also, did you guys see Alo's reaction to the win on Saturday? Brilliant to see. Real, unbridled passion.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2020, 04:14:58 PM »
Still not firing on all cylinders, but a win is a win for me, especially considering how this season started. A five pointer is even better.

Early in the second half we had the ball moving out toward the left wing and a three on one overlap, but De Jongh takes it into contact… these are the things we’ve got to sort out. A couple of seasons ago it was second nature to capitalise on those opportunities, now we seem to be trying to make hard work of it.

You're spot on, but I put this down do JdeJ's lack of gametime recently and therefore not having the match sharpness to spot those opportunities, process them, and then make the decision to pass. Sometimes it's easier just to take the safe option of contact and recycle. The game is played at such speed the decision making time is tiny

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2020, 04:38:27 PM »
Quote from: Peej
Also, did you guys see Alo's reaction to the win on Saturday? Brilliant to see. Real, unbridled passion.

He is rapidly becoming a favourite of mine. He could well be the latest gem we've managed to unearth. He's a much better player than we all assumed he would be, and he obviously really cares. #onceawasp