Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bobby Bridge's Player Ratings from Win at Sixways  (Read 2095 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Bobby Bridge's Player Ratings from Win at Sixways
« on: January 26, 2020, 12:20:06 AM »
Tries from Jimmy Gopperth, Zach Kibirige, Jack Willis and Dan Robson

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/worcester-warriors-wasps-player-ratings-17629555

I thought Bobby was a little generous to Billy Searle and possibly Dobby; though the latter was right on hand late in the game to take the try scoring pass from Zach, who IMO was MotM.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Bridge's Player Ratings from Win at Sixways
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:01:19 AM »
Definitely generous Robson and Searle scores, but bridge Always comes across as generous.

Also I didn't see all the match, some people said Young and Willis lost ball in contact so were they given generous scores too?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 09:34:31 AM »
Definitely generous Robson and Searle scores, but bridge Always comes across as generous.

Also I didn't see all the match, some people said Young and Willis lost ball in contact so were they given generous scores too?

For me Willis went in to contact with the ball in a very precarious one handed hold too many times to have scored him a 9, even though he saved our bacon and stopped us from throwing yet another game away. Rabbits in the headlights.

Kibirige was out and out our best player. Josh had a good game too. That tackle on their FB was quality, plus some excellent handoffs towards the end in a run he did. His best game by far for a long time. I thought Brookes had a good game too. TT's ankle did not look up to it, but with Cruse out as well, that was a hard call to play him. I don't think he has been fully fit for a while. Gaskell had a good game for his first game back.

Jimmy was very busy all game and deserved a high score.

I have noticed that Bobby tends to score higher if we win.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
Kibirige was out and out our best player.

Yes, indeed. Ben Earl leads the most tries scored this season with 6. Zach, along with Louis Rees-Zammit and Cobus Reinach, is tied on second with 5.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:15:06 AM »
I'm wondering if Robson is struggling with the burden of captaincy.

I personally don't feel that he's as off the pace as others seem to suggest - more that he's trying use quick ball only when it's there, and if there's nothing on, then ensure that the right options are available and the right option is taken.
When we're on a break and need quick ball from him, we always seem to get it - unfortunately there have been less breaks this season.

Anyway, back to the captaincy point.
Lots of people in lots of different sports react differently when their overall responsibility within the team changes.
Some thrive, make instant decisions and with that speed and clarity of thought can make even bad decisions work out.
Others start second guessing everything they do, even moreso in pivotal roles within the squad. I can imagine than when box kicking Robson feels such responsibility not to make a mistake that he ensures everything is setup perfectly.

As for the end result of his box kicking, it's hard to pin that purely on him. We seem to have a team strategy whereby we don't commit fully to chasing kicks - it's been said countless times before, but a kick is only as good as its chase

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »
Dobby didn't appear to have any strapping on yesterday.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »
He has lost speed both in running and in thought. Possibly game time will improve matters. Even his try yesterday was slower than previous seasons.
Let me tell you something cucumber

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
There was a period about 20-30 mins in where it was relentless carrying and runners coming from everywhere and Dobby seemed to lead that by threatening to snipe, waiting for defenders to bite in and pop it off.

Think he was really helped by having willing runners which we’ve lacked for the past 12 months.

Agree that he seems to be more patient if things aren’t on which is more a reflection of our pack than Dobby imo

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »
He has lost speed both in running and in thought. Possibly game time will improve matters. Even his try yesterday was slower than previous seasons.

Do you need to run faster when you're going under the posts untouched? Especially after a very long game.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 02:08:15 PM »
Yep
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »

"Definitely generous" combine diwth "I didn't see all the match". Interesting