Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ashton speaks  (Read 1422 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ashton speaks
« on: January 27, 2020, 10:41:49 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51272146

So my take is he did this in 2014, at which point St Nigel had already done similar with a number of players...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ashton speaks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:01:38 PM »
I’m pretty sure Ashton’s ‘transgression’ was in the 2016-2017 season.  The report does back-up what Ashton was saying, that Wray helped him to buy a Family home with a loan with a repayment schedule.

The only reason it’s was flagged as part of this was become he didn’t repay the loan in the defined scheduled (within the same season) and so it was deemed Salary, as it spanned two seasons (as opposed to an in-season loan which was repaid in full).  Ashton also didn’t pay the loan of himself and it was Boudjellal who repaid it upon Ashton signing for Toulon (a golden handshake perhaps)

It was far cry from the co-investment schemes for buy-to-let investments that Wray had with the Vunipola’s and Wigglesworth. 

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:30:09 AM »
According to the article the deal was made 2 years in to a 4 year contract. Which makes it 2014 or 2015. The delay in repayment was what flagged it later.

But the fact remains that St Nige was striking deals to help players out financially before Ashton.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »
"I knew Nigel had done it previously with some players and staff - he invests in a lot of property in and around London," explained Ashton.

How long has it really been going on? Before 2014 perhaps? These are clearly benefits that are not available if you don't play for the EAs.The not opening the books is IMO to protect many years of systematic cheating from exposure, increasingly looking like the whole of the modern era of the EAs is built on a lie - which we all knew anyway.
It was fine when I left it.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:59 AM »
"I knew Nigel had done it previously with some players and staff - he invests in a lot of property in and around London," explained Ashton.

How long has it really been going on? Before 2014 perhaps? These are clearly benefits that are not available if you don't play for the EAs.The not opening the books is IMO to protect many years of systematic cheating from exposure, increasingly looking like the whole of the modern era of the EAs is built on a lie - which we all knew anyway.

Exactly.  I was told by a senior person at an unconnected club that they had seen evidence of Sarries cheating the system in 2009.