Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team for Tigs  (Read 3279 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Team for Tigs
« on: February 14, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
Wasps team to face Leicester Tigers this Saturday in the Gallagher Premiership at Welford Road (kick-off 3pm)

Wasps (First-team appearances)

15 Marcus Watson (41)

14 Zach Kibirige (15)

13 Michael Le Bourgeois (29)

12 Jimmy Gopperth (92)

11 Josh Bassett (115)

10 Jacob Umaga (17)

9 Dan Robson (cc) (111)

1 Simon McIntyre (165)

2 Tommy Taylor (62)

3 Kieran Brookes (32)

4 Will Rowlands (83)

5 Thibaud Flament (12)

6 Jack Willis (50)

7 Thomas Young (cc) (110)

8 Nizaam Carr (52)

Replacements

16 Gabriel Oghre (16)

17 Zurabi Zhvania (33)

18 Biyi Alo (7)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team for Tigs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »
And the rest of the bench:
19 Brad Shields (22)

20 Sione Vailanu (15)

21 Sam Wolstenholme (8)

22 Billy Searle (20)

23 Sam Spink (4)

I'm happy with the pack, but the backs look less threatening with JDJ on Fekitoa at 13. I've never seen Watson play FB, anyone any views on that?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »
Not much pace in the centres, I worry we won't be able to set those outside backs free easily.

Great to see Spink on the bench. Is Lima injured?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
Lima was injured and coming back according to Monday's missive. Sad to see JdJ injured again and Gaskell another 8 weeks out.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »
Jacob Umaga and Marcus Watson have been restored to the Wasps starting line-up for Saturday’s Round 10 Gallagher Premiership clash with Leicester Tigers at Welford Road (kick-off 3pm).

Umaga, who has been training with England’s Six Nations squad, is back in club action at fly-half while Watson has recovered from an Achilles knock to start at full-back.

Elsewhere, Michael Le Bourgeois starts at outside-centre with Malakai Fekitoa (knee) still missing and Juan de Jongh (wrist) sidelined.

The rest of the backline remains unchanged from the win at Worcester three weeks ago – while there is just one change to the pack from the side that played that day – as Thibaud Flament starts in the second-row in place of James Gaskell. The Wasps centurion has been sidelined with a foot injury and will be out for approximately eight to ten weeks, while hooker Tom Cruse misses out through illness and a calf knock.

Zurabi Zhvania (knee) and Brad Shields (foot) both return from injury to be named among the replacements and could make their first appearances since December’s trip to Edinburgh Rugby, while there’s also a place on the bench for 20-year-old centre Sam Spink, who last featured in November when he made his Premiership debut for the Club against Exeter Chiefs.

Thomas Young and Dan Robson co-captain the side once again as the Black and Golds look to continue their recent league form – having produced try-bonus point performances in each of their last three outings.

Wasps Defence Coach Ian Costello said: “If you look back at the last three games, we’ve picked up 12 points. There were three tries against Harlequins and then bonus-point tries in each of the next three games.

“It comes down to margins in these games and just to come out the right side last time out was important and hopefully this is us turning a corner and kicking on from here.

“Last year it came down to one moment against Leicester and we don’t expect it to be any different this year. It’ll be physical, it’ll be attritional and hopefully a high-quality game too.

“There’s no doubt this is an eight-pointer this weekend. We’re all scrapping for points but we have to focus on ourselves at this point and see if we can go to Welford Road and pick up another win and build the momentum that we’ve had the last little while.”

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 12:30:01 PM »
And the rest of the bench:
19 Brad Shields (22)

20 Sione Vailanu (15)

21 Sam Wolstenholme (8)

22 Billy Searle (20)

23 Sam Spink (4)

I'm happy with the pack, but the backs look less threatening with JDJ on Fekitoa at 13. I've never seen Watson play FB, anyone any views on that?

Watson has played FB before and did a good job.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 12:41:05 PM »
Thanks BG

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »
Ok - pack fine - we're blessed in the backrow, and I hope Brad get on to play. I'm a bit of a fan tbh.

Backs - on first glance you wonder, but with Mike Le B used to being 12, Jimmy a 10/12 and Jacob a great passing and running 10, the plan (I hope) is to get those dangerous back three runners ball and quickly. Using all three of the midfield as distributors

COTW

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »
Looking at the forecast of rain and 50 mph wind gusts I'm not expecting to watch a game of fast open running rugby. It could well be another of those games where you're better off letting the other team have the ball and make the most mistakes.

I hope I'm wrong.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »
Tigs Team

15 Telusa Veainu
14 Jonah Holmes
13 Jaco Taute
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Rory Hughes
10 Tom Hardwick
9 Ben White
1 Greg Bateman
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Tomás Lavanini
5 Will Spencer
6 Hanro Liebenberg
7 Jordan Taufua
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Nephi Leatigaga
18 Joe Heyes
19 Harry Wells
20 Tommy Reffell
21 Harry Simmons
22 Noel Reid
23 George Worth

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »
Looking at the forecast of rain and 50 mph wind gusts I'm not expecting to watch a game of fast open running rugby. It could well be another of those games where you're better off letting the other team have the ball and make the most mistakes.

I hope I'm wrong.

If it does turn out to be like that, then keeping the ball in the opposition half and keeping them turning, could be a very good tactic.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »
I'm starting a book on how many game Gaskell can play in a row and season...this is madness.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 02:27:24 PM »
If it does turn out to be like that, then keeping the ball in the opposition half and keeping them turning, could be a very good tactic.

Not sure I'd want to be giving ball to Veainu or Holmes to run back, but I guess it might depend on the weather.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »

I hope I'm wrong.

Meteoblue agree with that forecast.....sadly

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 03:57:32 PM »
It is nice to be talking about a game after this past week.
Could be another Scotland  England effort. Safe travels to all going.