Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New DOR Options?  (Read 17803 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New DOR Options?
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2020, 11:37:24 AM »
Would like to point out Howley was interim head coach of Wales twice, one of those times they won six Nations and the other they came 4th. So mixed results rather than just bad.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2020, 12:43:10 PM »
More clarity?

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-dai-young-next-coach-17775053

Whilst we can't think of many names, apparently there are a lot out there ready to move, now that Dai is officially off.

And, apparently, Wasps had not been looking before this kicked off.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »
More clarity?

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-dai-young-next-coach-17775053

Whilst we can't think of many names, apparently there are a lot out there ready to move, now that Dai is officially off.

Just because we weren't looking for a new DOR, doesn't mean we weren't after a new head coach, which in many clubs are one and the same, with Vaughans old club being one of the few that actually separates the roles.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2020, 01:22:24 PM »
More clarity?

We were definitely looking at possible Head Coaches.

Just because we weren't looking for a new DOR, doesn't mean we weren't after a new head coach, which in many clubs are one and the same, with Vaughans old club being one of the few that actually separates the roles.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2020, 03:51:36 PM »
Reading Vaughan’s interview, it definitely did not sound like the club sacking Dai, sounds much more mutual but still quite sudden.

Think they were having a planning meeting and both parties realised that next season wasn’t possible and Dai leaving now would enable the club to have 6 months of acclimatisation to a post-Dai era.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2020, 05:32:39 PM »
Not at all surprised the phone has been hot. We are one of the biggest clubs in English rugby with a hell of a lot going for us. Still not sure what happened but it hardly matters now. Interesting that Vaughan threw in "international" in to the frame. Could literally be anyone.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »
Surely if someone was available now it makes sense to get them in now, ahead of next season to discuss signings, contract renewals, coaches and academy graduates and get then have that culture and game plan worked on to hit the ground running for next season. Not just saying we won’t be getting anyone in this season

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »
Jonny it states that they will appoint to start next year, ie not having to limit the pool of applicant's to those only currently available, leaving a pool of virtually no one. That doesn't mean planning stops.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2020, 06:41:50 PM »
I suspect if the right person was available sooner they wouldn't make them wait.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2020, 07:34:10 PM »
Surely if someone was available now it makes sense to get them in now, ahead of next season to discuss signings, contract renewals, coaches and academy graduates and get then have that culture and game plan worked on to hit the ground running for next season. Not just saying we won’t be getting anyone in this season

Think it’s also worth saying that signing the contract is different to joining. I’d be happy to wait until the end of the season for the right man as long as the contract is ready and signed now. I know Wilson hurt us after signing a contract but a DoR we should be more staunch in holding onto them.

I’d say someone being employed now is no factor for whether they’d be able to join us for next season.

Heathen

• View Profile

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »
Jonny it states that they will appoint to start next year, ie not having to limit the pool of applicant's to those only currently available, leaving a pool of virtually no one. That doesn't mean planning stops.

My take on this is that most people are contracted up until the summer elsewhere (at least the really good ones are!). So securing someone to start next season can still kick things off in terms of preparation.... They can provide shortlists of players to target, even talk to said players and sell the 'vision'... be a part of the recruitment process in restructuring the coaching and S&C set-up... Plan pre-season and training structures... etc.

I took that interview as very positive. it sounds like we're going about it exactly the right way.... move swiftly to secure someone in the coming weeks, but also consider all options and include key stakeholders in the decision.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2020, 08:32:35 AM »
Fissler yesterday : https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domestic-club-rugby-union/35200/wasps-seek-to-rekindle-old-flames-in-search-for-new-dor/

Very typical TRP article, nothing insightful, probably put together by trawling forums (like this one), Twitter and other social media platforms. There is no attribution. Worsley has to make a lifestyle change to come back to Wasps, however he did say this to the Daily Mail in 2016 'Obviously coaching England would be one thing, but Wasps is the club I love and, one day, I want to go back and be part of that,’ he said.'

Personally I think it will be Howley, not necessarily what I would wish to see but that story has been running for some time and he isn't working atm.
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »
RBB...
Didn't the Howley rumours start because of the supposed strong relationship between him and Dai?

With Dai gone, don't you feel that reduces the strength of the rumour?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
Perhaps, however he is a strong 'on paper' candidate based on what the alleged field looks like. Personally I am not 100% convinced that SV wasn't looking prior to the recent announcements. SV is a CEO who is well aware of the poor on field displays, 13 wins in 46 games is a pretty strong indicator, there is no way that he would not be looking for a Plan B based on that form, if he wasn't then has been seriously over-promoted. Of course he was looking and speaking to people.

Wasps does need a radical overhaul on the playing side, we have had two diabolical seasons and I am not convinced Howley will be the DoR who delivers that.But.....he is proven and safe usually prevails over risky or radical. I just have a feeling that Wasps will go with safe from a DoR point of view with perhaps a more radical head coach.
It was fine when I left it.....