Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Why?  (Read 2256 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Why?
« on: February 22, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »
Still digesting last nights wonderful performance. It was like watching a different team. Why? Style of play seemed different as we kicked a lot less and kept ball in hand virtually all the time. But was it for Dai? Was it because he's gone? Was it just one of those games? If we put a couple more games like that in does Blackett come into the frame? Utterly fantastic to watch but also intriguing in almost equal measure as to how and why such a difference was possible.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 09:27:53 AM »
The message interim Wasps boss Lee Blackett gave ahead of record-breaking win

Report by Ben Jaycock & Bobby Bridge.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-saracens-lee-blackett-rugby-17794403

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
I was stumbling around birmingham airport at 5 o clock this morning still partly dazed and confused and partly grinning away deliriously.
For me the difference was the forwards ball carries, so often the likes of Willis, Flament, Matthews and Harris particularly made ground over the gain line allowing much quicker ball and the chance for the backs to play how they did.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:08:02 AM »
From a few comments made and overheard, it appears that training had been normal and they were in the changing rooms all stressed out and even more so with YY and Brookes out at the last minute, when Blackett pretty much said, 'Sod it. Forget what we planned. Go out and have fun.' Easy to do when you aren't under pressure as the DoR. It appears that micro managing the players minute by minute has gotten worse and worse over the last season and a bit. To the extent that the players were no longer thinking or in control. Giving them free reign just released the pent up frustration. A shame it was Sarries that faced the full force of that flood.

So, the half time talk becomes, 'Whatever you are doing, keep doing it.'

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »
From a few comments made and overheard, it appears that training had been normal and they were in the changing rooms all stressed out and even more so with YY and Brookes out at the last minute, when Blackett pretty much said, 'Sod it. Forget what we planned. Go out and have fun.' Easy to do when you aren't under pressure as the DoR. It appears that micro managing the players minute by minute has gotten worse and worse over the last season and a bit. To the extent that the players were no longer thinking or in control. Giving them free reign just released the pent up frustration. A shame it was Sarries that faced the full force of that flood.

So, the half time talk becomes, 'Whatever you are doing, keep doing it.'

The embodiment of ‘handbrake off’

We spent years making an instinctive team with a lot of success but as we couldn’t take that final step to silverware, it may have been thought that more systems (like Sarries and Chiefs) were the way to go.

Since a lot of the squad are still instinctive players, them being allowed to play what they see has resulted in a positive performance.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 02:27:34 PM »
We did kick a reasonable amount - but across to the wing & chipping over the defending backs. And they mostly worked 

Eezamarlowman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 03:09:42 PM »
In answer to the question, I think we saw a reaction to a decisive move . Dai has been great for Wasps, particularly in our dark days towards the end in HW. But, in my humble opinion, he peaked a couple of years ago. We came so close to silverware. Every coach/DOR/leader has a shelf life in one place. Doesn’t diminish what Dai did for us and I wish him all the best going forwards. I hope he is feeling relieved right now. It couldn’t have been easy the past 12months. Changing the status quo at this point is the best move for all. An amazing win last night is just what the players and supporters needed !

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
What a fantastic night it reminded myself and the wife of the way we played two years ago. Jacob was immense but every player out there played to their full potential. I would also like to add I thought Lima looked a lot more confident playing at full back when he came on. Hopefully we build on this now.
COYW