Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT, bloody Corona virus!!!  (Read 3282 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
OT, bloody Corona virus!!!
« on: February 24, 2020, 03:17:43 PM »
So, I finally get tickets for Italy V England when it is the last match of the tournament, so hopefully weather is on the turn, and now that sodding virus is causing big issues in Italy, I know it hasn't reached Rome yet, but my wife has recently got over cancer so her immune system is still slightly weakened. Proper pissed off with this news....... :'(

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT, bloody Corona virus!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 03:39:59 PM »
Sadly if it continues in Italy as it currently is I suspect the match may be postponed. I have a neighbour who is booked on a food tour who was told this morning that it "may" be subject to change.
Let me tell you something cucumber

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »
Sadly if it continues in Italy as it currently is I suspect the match may be postponed. I have a neighbour who is booked on a food tour who was told this morning that it "may" be subject to change.

Yes, we have a food tour also, we're there for the week Sunday to Sunday.......

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »
This has the potential to be a really scary situation.

What really worries is how long the Chinese kept the lid on be they had to go public.

The route of transmission is still unclear - airborne or faecal????

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »
The Italian Women’s 6N match was called off yesterday.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
The Women's game was to be played in Legnano, near Milan, in the region affected by the outbreak. The men's game in Rome might not be affected...

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 04:46:01 PM »

Almost certainly airbourne based on what happened on that cruise ship. Probably long lived, i.e lives a long time on surfaces. Might be resistant to antiseptics (like wipes and hand wash).

When in to the body, it doesn't seem to manifest itself for many days or even a few weeks, and during that period does not trigger the body's immune system. Thus passing a test to say you haven't got it will return false negatives, as they test by looking for antibodies.

It also appears to be highly contagious.

It would appear that symptoms might not appear for as long as a month, not the 14 day period being used.

As with any good virus, it seems that some people will become super spreaders with few on no symptoms. There is also no indication whether someone who has 'recovered' cannot still pass it on.

I am in the second highest risk group, where I think 11% of people like me (who have heart disease or who have had a heart attack) die. Normal people seem to have a mortality rate of just under 1%.

So. Things, activities or places to avoid:

Contact sport, maybe all sport
School
Swimming Pools
Public changing rooms, washrooms and toilets
Places of intense social contact; hotels, bars, clubs, shopping malls, supermarkets
Public transport (elevator, bus, coach, tram, underground, train or plane)
Anywhere with air conditioning; large buildings, most modern offices, hotels, hospitals, shopping malls, shops

and so on.

OR, we just accept that it is going to spread out of control anyway and accept the inevitable, and just get on with our lives (or deaths). If the majority of the population of the world are going to get it, then we can't all expect hospital treatment. It simply is what it is. My suspicion is that there will already be hundreds of super spreaders taking it around the world. The WHO might not want to admit that, nor will governments, nor the press, but it is what it is.

IF the virus were to mutate slightly and become more lethal. Instead of 1-2%, let's say 5-10% (maybe more) than the world economy has a big problem. If that is so, best a borrower be, not a lender. And to prove that, look at investors switching to gold.

Quite a few elephants in that room. Getting crowded.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 05:40:28 PM »
Gold has gone up by $100 an ounce in the last week.

Best go buy a set of gold pans...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »

Almost certainly airbourne based on what happened on that cruise ship. Probably long lived, i.e lives a long time on surfaces. Might be resistant to antiseptics (like wipes and hand wash).

When in to the body, it doesn't seem to manifest itself for many days or even a few weeks, and during that period does not trigger the body's immune system. Thus passing a test to say you haven't got it will return false negatives, as they test by looking for antibodies.

It also appears to be highly contagious.

It would appear that symptoms might not appear for as long as a month, not the 14 day period being used.

As with any good virus, it seems that some people will become super spreaders with few on no symptoms. There is also no indication whether someone who has 'recovered' cannot still pass it on.

I am in the second highest risk group, where I think 11% of people like me (who have heart disease or who have had a heart attack) die. Normal people seem to have a mortality rate of just under 1%.

School
Swimming Pools
Places of intense social contact; hotels, bars, clubs, shopping malls, supermarkets
Anywhere with air conditioning; large buildings, most modern offices, hotels, hospitals, shopping malls, shops

and so on.

OR, we just accept that it is going to spread out of control anyway and accept the inevitable, and just get on with our lives (or deaths). If the majority of the population of the world are going to get it, then we can't all expect hospital treatment. It simply is what it is. My suspicion is that there will already be hundreds of super spreaders taking it around the world. The WHO might not want to admit that, nor will governments, nor the press, but it is what it is.

IF the virus were to mutate slightly and become more lethal. Instead of 1-2%, let's say 5-10% (maybe more) than the world economy has a big problem. If that is so, best a borrower be, not a lender. And to prove that, look at investors switching to gold.

Quite a few elephants in that room. Getting crowded.

Interesting. I have not long returned from Rome and my partner was unwell with all the symptoms. Called the NHS helpline and was told they were not concerned about Italy. What was odd is she is never ill but had a terible cough and all the symptoms of flu. So I have been very concerned and now this news breaks on the weekend about Italy. Lucky she has since recovered but as you say there is so much that is unknown it is scary or do you just accept it and go about life as normal.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »
I might need quarantining off this board, currently skiing in the venoto region of Italy!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 06:10:15 PM »
Was at a funeral last week, when one of my wife's cousins said that his wife had returned from Wuhan 12 weeks ago!!! She teaches English in Chinese schools.

Quote NWW :

School
Swimming Pools

Tongue in cheek : add meetings of old men with dodgy handshakes ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:14:11 PM by Heathen »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
Was at a funeral last week, when one of my wife's cousins said that his wife had returned from Wuhan 12 weeks ago!!! She teaches English in Chinese schools.

Quote NWW :

School
Swimming Pools

Tongue in cheek : add meetings of old men with dodgy handshakes ;)

Or accepting rides in strange, old men's cars, hehe.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 10:11:00 PM »
Well I am hoping that the corona virus follows the flu seasons and can be mostly contained whilst the vaccine gets sorted. Flu season in most of the northern hemisphere comes to an end in the next month or so.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:53 PM »
More older people die of flu every year in the UK than are likely to die of the Coronavirus. But that’s not news.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 09:21:31 AM »
More older people die of flu every year in the UK than are likely to die of the Coronavirus. But that’s not news.

Corona virus has a higher mortality rate than flu. And whilst it's true for the UK at the moment, it may not take much for it to suddenly start spreading, and then flu will seem pretty mild.