Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Shields on Rugby Pod  (Read 1664 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Shields on Rugby Pod
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »
From about 34 mins onwards they talk about the Sarries match and then have a chat with Brad.

https://play.acast.com/s/therugbypod/b5e7eb16-e3f8-4415-b76b-f61d3f94e639

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Shields on Rugby Pod
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »
It's a bit annoying that rugby pod and Flats on highlights talk more about how bad Sarries were rather than how good we were

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:06:20 PM »
If the game was on TV I suspect it'd be different and we'd have much more positive reviews.  I don't think Sarries were that bad - We just played smart, by pressuring them through confusion and being unpredictable and our execution of skills was sublime. 

Sarries' (and Chiefs') defences rely on people trying to physically batter and dominate them and play entirely into their hands - As we have often tried to do and failed looking boring and predictable.  As soon as you get them turning or break their line up by creating uncertainty you begin to find chinks in the armour.  The key to this is variation of play (both in variety of passing and kicking), accuracy of execution and the chase/follow-up.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »
It's a bit annoying that rugby pod and Flats on highlights talk more about how bad Sarries were rather than how good we were

Full game's on premiershiprugby.com so we can make up our own minds. I haven't watched it yet as my Internet's been down since Monday and got repaired today.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
With Jacob employing the flat crossfield kick it created a dilemma for Sarries wingers.. whether to rush up and keep tight to their 13 or hang back and out wide.

It can backfire but Fekitoa (and Brad once) kept fairly close waiting to see the outcome of the catch, either acting as a support hoping for an offload or helping tying up the sarries winger if they caught it.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »
Fek's showed his AB class in that break that ended in Kibrige's try. The balls skills in hand to show, kick dummy then step to evade isn't something you see very often as it's pure ball playing skills. He doesn't have a lot of pace but with a brain like that he doesn't need it.
It was a welcome sight.