11 (30.6%)
Back
12 (33.3%)
Never really played
6 (16.7%)
Played both forward and back!
7 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Do you, or did you play?  (Read 5707 times)

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
Re: Do you, or did you play?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 07:15:28 AM »
I started Late around 25 wasted to many years trying to play football. First game I was watching a mate play and the team was short and needed a player. I had not got any kit  so they managed to find socks boots and shirt but no shorts, the other team was asked if I could play with my jeans rolled up  that was my start playing rugby. Most of the time I played TH. Started at a village side Wheaton Aston then a team called Wulfrun finished up playing for Willenhall. Had to stop playing when I was 45 knees gave up in the end. 63 now but still miss those days.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 08:49:07 AM »
Played at High Wycombe for 5 years after leaving school, then moved to Marlow for a further 22 years, until at 45 yo, the wear and tear caught up with me.

Most of my time was spent in the pack, although did play in the backs on rare occasions. Prefered position was loosehead, but did hook and play at TH if required.

At Marlow, skippered the 4ths for several years and then the Vets.

Half decent goalkicker (which was unusual for a prop!)

John, what era did you play at Marlow?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »
Played from 9/10, hooker at prep school. Then went to a soccer school but occasionally turned out in pick up games.  Couldn't play soccer - kept getting sent off. Started rugby again at 18 when I left school and played for London Scottish junior teams as hooker and tight head. Also played on Sundays with a very motley crew called the Sunday Variety Club which was supposed to be made up from TV, assorted actors and BBC staff, but in reality they took anybody they could get to make up a XV. I well remember 3 London Fijians, all ex army who were regulars. Played an 'international' against the US marines who were from the US embassy. Then had a terrific time in their bar afterwards.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:36 AM »

John, what era did you play at Marlow?

Bryan, I joined Marlow in 1974 and hung up the boots in 1995. Skippered the 4's for three years in the mid 80's.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 09:42:28 AM »
Tight Head for almost all my career.  Loved the scrummaging.  Played for University and then Club 2nd XV and old boys as i declined.  Sometimes called up to play FB because I could catch and tackle but I did not really have enough speed for it.  I was 17 stone when I was at school but slimmed down after Uni (hence FB became an option) and since then I have "blossomed" again.  Current weight is a closely guarded secret!!! 

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »
I did a pretty poor imitation of a full back at school and then filled in at full back or centre for my hall at Loughborough Uni if they were really really desperate.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

When were you at Loughborough?  I did my MSc. there in 1987/88. I didn't play there as it was far too intimidating! Like with the cricketers with sponsorship deals! I played cricket for Quorn instead and kept up the running.

GD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 11:19:41 AM »
Hooker for all of my career, which peaked at county colts level, left the sport for a while but got back into it about 4 years ago playing touch which was not my natural game at all. At 53 turn out occasionally for the 2nds at the club I coach at.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 11:46:46 AM »
I did a pretty poor imitation of a full back at school and then filled in at full back or centre for my hall at Loughborough Uni if they were really really desperate.

When were you at Loughborough?  I did my MSc. there in 1987/88. I didn't play there as it was far too intimidating! Like with the cricketers with sponsorship deals! I played cricket for Quorn instead and kept up the running.

I was there 1987 - 1991.  I did Chemical Engineering and was in Elvyn Richards hall. I played for them on a handful of occasions when they were really desperate (really desperate).  I think all the sports teams were pretty intimidating.  If I recall the Hockey team had several internationals and a GB player or two at the time, and one of the footballers was playing for Loughborough in the week and turning out for Notts County at the weekends!.  Even the inter Hall competition was a reasonable standard...well club standard probably in most sports. I played Hockey (2nd XI for Derby and Monsanto (North Wales) but only played at hall standard at Loughborough.

Steve Backley, the stick thrower, was at Loughborough at the same time as me (1988 - 1992 I think) and used to cruise round campus in his sponsored car.  One week it had 'Steve Backley, Javelin World   Record Holder' on the side.  During the following week there had been an international meet and his car subsequently read 'Steve Backley, Former Javelin World Record Holder'.  It made us smile!

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 12:06:29 PM »
A chance to reprise a post a few years back on the other site:

I’d given up on rugby.  The only “Probable” to get dropped after the County Schools Trial against the “Possibles”, and I didn’t even make the bench!  I’d played for the local town side at 16, making my debut at fullback with Paul Curtis, who went on to play for Harlequins and London Division, but after that trial, cricket became my sport.  However, one of the players at Streatham Hollingtonians CC played rugby for Streatham and East Croydon and encouraged me to give it another try.

A season in the Colts as a fresh-faced 23 year old was great fun.  At 5’11” and 15 stone as a scrum half, they’d send me into the toilets before the match, wearing the No.9 shirt, to intimidate the opposition.  I could occasionally hear them saying in their changing room, “Jesus! Have you seen the size of their scrum half?”  It was fun and we played a good game.

After the company moved me to Pinner, I spent a winter decorating and doing chores but my wife eventually told me to go find a rugby club.  I knew of Wasps and knew they were somewhere around there and well remember walking into the clubhouse at Repton Ave. to be greeted by Len.  “Come back on Thursday evening”, he told me.  So I did.

At that first training session, after a little warm up on the training pitch, ‘Muttley’ told us to pair off.  As one of the ‘newbies’, I stood around when someone grabbed my arm and said, “Come on”.  Now I suspect that Huw Davies had been looking round for the fattest and most unfit back he could find and he hit the jackpot with me.  Fireman’s lift and run to the 22, swap and run back.  I’m not certain which part was the toughest but it was certainly a thrill to think I was training with an England International. 

We ended the session with a game of touch and towards the end, I found myself at the end of a break, running towards Simon Smith, then the current England wing.  He covered my move to the outside, he covered my move back to the inside running away from me, and as he blind-sided himself for a split second, I went back to the outside.  He realized, corrected, and tripped over his own feet.  I was in at the corner.  I’d beaten the England left wing.  I was hooked!  I was a Wasp!

That first season, playing for the B XV under Mike de Morgan was great fun.  After my fourth match at scrum half including the “Battle of Letchworth”, one at centre and a couple at full back, I vividly remember Mike looking around the assembled team and eying us all with some deep consideration; we were short a prop.  After our full back declined the invitation, Mike noticed the frame of his scrum half and asked.  I said, “Why not?” and he wheeled me through to the treatment room. 

The ‘Judge’ lay prostrate on the treatment table, Gilfeather in attendance.  Mike explained that I was about to play my first game at loose-head and did the ‘Judge’ have any nuggets that he might be able to pass on that might stand me in good stead.  Those twenty minutes with Paul Rendall were, what I suppose you might call, an epiphany for me.  I played loose-head that day, loved it and never looked back.

When Mike called me at the seasons close to ask if I’d ever skippered a rugby side before, I knew my life was about to change.  Whilst I’d captained the school 1st XV for a couple of seasons, this was something else.  The B XV was the ‘bottom’ side of the club.  Technically, we were the 8th XV but when you included the Nomads, the club within a club, we were really the 9ths but what an honour. 

My Vice-Captain resigned the week before the season started; family commitments were apparently to blame.  My first outing as skipper was away to British Airways and, two hours before kick-off, I was a man short, despite Primrose having cancelled the “Casuals” fixture.  I had a reasonable side including a couple of Kiwis who I’d seen at training and had been surprised they’d not been picked higher up the club.  As I stood in the clubhouse trying to organize the players into cars for the journey to West Drayton, a guy walked in asking for game.  He wanted a game and I needed a player so we shoved him in a car and departed.  I don't recall the score but we dismantled BA that afternoon, I scored a try, my second in a Wasps shirt, and my captaincy was off to a roaring start.  After the game, as I chatted to our new recruits, it became clear that things were not as simple as they first seemed.  So it was that club captain Richard Cardus gave me all sorts of grief at selection the following week, when it was discovered that the Wasps B XV had fielded Rob Stephenson of Sale and Lancashire, who was due to bench for the seconds, as well as Colin Dove, a former Taranaki flanker who had been selected for the thirds but hadn’t got the message.  I probably deserved it.

In the early part of that season, we welcomed London Irish to Northwick Park.  The Not-Nots were renowned for one player, “Big John” in their second row.  They had only one line out call, “Big John”; the guy was a man-mountain.  They also turned up that season with a lively looking flanker and rumour spread around our changing room before the match of a ‘ringer’.  I never found out his name but the story goes he was an Ireland B player, returning from injury and who wanted a run-out before returning to London Irish firsts. 

I was still lacking a vice-captain so decided to see who would step up to the plate.  As we stood on the pitch before the match, I asked who was going to take the pre-match warm-up.  No response.  I asked again.  Still nothing, everyone looking at me as if to say, “You’re the captain, you do it!”. On my third request, our No.8 and our right-winger simultaneously stepped forward.  That winger is known on the other board as Eastcote; he became my vice-captain and we’ve been buddies ever since.  He took over the captaincy after me and the No.8 became captain of the Casuals the following season.  Despite the warm-up, just as we had run up a big score against British Airways, thanks in part to our ‘ringers’, LI did the same to us. 

For the return match against Irish at Sunbury in February, several jugs of beer and at least two bottles of Irish whisky were wagered on the outcome.  As we were ready to leave Repton Avenue, I was once again a man short, a tight-head prop, as ours had been taken up to the “A” XV - the perils of running the ‘bottom’ side of a club.  As we walked to the cars to depart, that prop arrived for his home game and, on hearing of our plight, promptly turned round and got back in his car to drive to Sunbury saying, “I want to play with you guys, you’re a team”.  That gesture still means more to me than many of my business management achievements over the years.  Maybe by luck more than judgement, I’d created a bunch of guys who wanted to play for each other.  The prop’s name was Chris Buckman and Eastcote and I bumped into him down in Castres a few seasons ago where he now lives with his French wife.  Good times!

It was a morning game due to the Five Nations matches being played that afternoon and it was a tough match.  In truth, I think Irish probably played better than us but our rugged defence and teamwork paid dividends.  Based on their 30-point winning margin earlier in the season, perhaps they were overconfident; we won 0-16.

My other memories of that match, more than 30 years ago, were a last ditch tackle made by Dave Larg as their left wing sped down the line, just evading my flailing arms.  As I realised that I’d missed the tackle I was sure they would score and how Dave found the speed, I’ll never know.  We also had a former Wasp on the touchline that day, cheering us on.  Pat Sykes was up from Cornwall, partly to watch his son, Dave play in the centres for us.  His constant exaltations during the game and glowing comments afterwards stay with me.  I think he really enjoyed the match.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 12:18:57 PM »
I played my first match for my school team in 1966 on the wing and threw in at lineouts. Didn't play in 1980s and 90s but was at Sudbury every week to watch Wasps.

Started again at my local club Hitchin when coaching my son's mini team (he's now playing for our 1st team) and haven't stopped since. Now play hooker, so still throwing in, having played every position at one time or other (prop and 2nd row when uncontested and no players).

Played for the DWs team at scrum half at all the Fat Blokes 7s tournaments we were in. Got knocked out at the end of the semi final when we won the Arse Trophy so didn't play in the final. Didn't stop me celebrating after though.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 01:19:00 PM »
I started playing rugby at a young age (around 8 years old) at the rugby club that my Dad used to play at. I pretty much always was at hooker with exception to having a bit of a dabble at openside flanker (which didn't particularly work out).
I then took about 9 years out of the game as I reached senior rugby and my weekend work whilst at uni got in the way.
This season is my first season back for Lichfield 2XV and 3XV and finding it much different to the rugby I used to play years ago! I've now shifted to prop (prefer TH as I'm not great on the other side but willing to get better at it).

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »

I was there 1987 - 1991.  I did Chemical Engineering and was in Elvyn Richards hall. I played for them on a handful of occasions when they were really desperate (really desperate).  I think all the sports teams were pretty intimidating.  If I recall the Hockey team had several internationals and a GB player or two at the time, and one of the footballers was playing for Loughborough in the week and turning out for Notts County at the weekends!.  Even the inter Hall competition was a reasonable standard...well club standard probably in most sports. I played Hockey (2nd XI for Derby and Monsanto (North Wales) but only played at hall standard at Loughborough.

Steve Backley, the stick thrower, was at Loughborough at the same time as me (1988 - 1992 I think) and used to cruise round campus in his sponsored car.  One week it had 'Steve Backley, Javelin World   Record Holder' on the side.  During the following week there had been an international meet and his car subsequently read 'Steve Backley, Former Javelin World Record Holder'.  It made us smile!

Yes - that's familiar. Whilst not my subject, I moonlighted at cricket for the engineers' team that included  regional Indian players. 20/20 during the week. It was the highest std 20/20 I ever played! Got to the final of the inter-faculty cricket comp. That was pretty hard work!

I remember looking at having a go at cricket and saw those same sponsored cars for cricket players. I never got near the Uni team, but won the bowling cup for the league Quorn played in at the time....

I was doing Rec Man when I thought I might like the public - one fellow student was an international volleyball player.....and several country level sports people. Only the volleyballer got in the Uni side!

Fun time, as a post grad, I was taken to the less crowded pubs in town too, which was nice, even the dodgy one up by the canal that's gone now, I believe. The Albion?

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
The Albion!  That was one of my favourite haunts. I fished a couple of my mates out of the canal after an evening in there: Their Christmas Noggin was evil stuff! When the town got cut off in the snow at Christmas 1991 it was about the only place serving.  Happy days.  My daughter is thinking of going there for her degree next year.  I didn't know it had gone and had recommended it to her.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 06:10:20 PM »
The Albion!  That was one of my favourite haunts. I fished a couple of my mates out of the canal after an evening in there: Their Christmas Noggin was evil stuff! When the town got cut off in the snow at Christmas 1991 it was about the only place serving.  Happy days.  My daughter is thinking of going there for her degree next year.  I didn't know it had gone and had recommended it to her.

It went recently. I was looking on satellite and couldn't find it. It was where post grads took under grad dates in my year....Its a good place to go still and it was always worth walking the extra metres to find the less populated pubs..but I was a old sod...being 25 years old the year I started.

Haven't been back for a few years as my mate moved away. Will have to have an out of term visit!

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
I'm due to go back in a couple of weeks as my eldest has a place there for next year...that said it is up against stiff competition from Lancaster and Trent!  Hopefully we will get a chance to look around the town. too.