11 (30.6%)
Back
12 (33.3%)
Never really played
6 (16.7%)
Played both forward and back!
7 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Do you, or did you play?  (Read 5686 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Do you, or did you play?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 11:54:04 AM »
Cut and pasted from my post on "Who are you really": I didn't get into union until I joined up. Being a Northerner, we played league at school and, to be honest it struck me as a bit of a stupid game, just repeat the same thing over until you score or hand over the ball....... So joined up, playing compulsory sport one week, it happened to be rugby. As I knew nothing I just got put on the wing, being pretty muscular for a teenager (I'd boxed for a few years already) I got put in the front row one week, and I loved it!! Once past the colt stage though, I wasn't really big enough to prop, so had a few games in the back row. Only played for a few years as I picked up a few nasty knee injuries off the pitch that threatened my naval career, so had to be careful, but I stupidly agreed to play a one off game down the Falklands about 8 or 9 years ago, boy did that hurt!!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »
Rossm: You can’t just say you were sent off several times playing football!! Full confession needed. Were you so bad that the team was better off without you - or were you just a bad boy!!! :)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »
Rossm: You can’t just say you were sent off several times playing football!! Full confession needed. Were you so bad that the team was better off without you - or were you just a bad boy!!! :)

A bit of both though more the latter ;D  I played right back and to put it mildly was very vigorous when tackling. One time I was removed from a game to protect one of the school's 1st XI forwards who I had taken a dislike to. On reflection, some of my football tackles would probably have seen me red carded in today's rugby. Definitely no-arms tackles!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:10:23 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 03:22:30 PM »

A bit of both though more the latter ;D  I played right back and to put it mildly was very vigorous when tackling. One time I was removed from a game to protect one of the school's 1st XI forwards who I had taken a dislike to. On reflection, some of my football tackles would probably have seen me red carded in today's rugby. Definitely no-arms tackles!

Was Chopper Harris your role model? ;D

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 05:02:45 PM »
Well he is 3 years older than me :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!